Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for connecting a network printer WIRELESSLY to a broadband router.

Options
  • 07-04-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭

Right, the broadband router is downstairs. Everything in the house connects wirelessly (i.e. laptop, desktop, Wii) to the broadband router to get access to the internet.

The only item which cannot connect to the router is the printer which has an ethernet port - no wireless functionality. The printer is located beside the desktop PC in a separate room. So in order to print from anywhere in the house, I need a wireless device which can connect wirelessly to the router (acting as a switch) and then the wireless device is physically connected to the printer through an ethernet cable.

I have seen plenty of ones which are useful for usb printers but can't seem to find any for a printer with a network port. Any ideas?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is the pc connected to the network? just share the printer when its connected to the pc then everything will be able to connect to it wirelessly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

as PogMoThoin said, or alternatively get a wireless print server.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know of using the PC (it's currently wireless connected over the network) to share the printer but the PC is not always going to be turned on.

I have sarched for wireless print servers but I can only seem to find ones which are designed for a usb connected printer...I need one which operates it via ethernet cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

in that case, you'd want a wireless bridge or a wireless game adapter. Essentially the game adapter converts the Ethernet port to a wireless one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How about a homeplug option?

97621.JPG

Have the printer where it says xbox. The homeplugs plug into your power supply, and network through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

^^ What he said.....Powerline adapters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    in that case, you'd want a wireless bridge or a wireless game adapter. Essentially the game adapter converts the Ethernet port to a wireless one.

I don't have faith in the ethernet over mains sockets as the mains are on different circuits - not sure if that makes a difference - so would be inclined to use a game adapter or similar...this is what I found so far:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=333

and

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ss/wirelessgear_5.htm

all I need is to find one on the cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

astrofluff wrote: »
    all I need is to find one on the cheap...
    And ensure that there are no microwave ovens, wireless phones, etc, in between that will provide interference...

Advertisement