Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading PS3 Hard Drive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thanks i will check this out when i get home!

Also on a side note, i currently have a 1TB external harddrive i have yet to use, can this be used via USB with PS3 or am i better off going with the plan to replace the internal harddrive with one of those recommended in this thread?

you can't install games or download dlc on the external ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Varik wrote: »
    you can't install games or download dlc on the external ones

oh so its only useful to store movies and photos on then, internal it is. Right il haveto have a look into this upgrading myself business. No doubt il be back with problems haha

Cheers!

F1ngers wrote: »
    HDD requirements:
    • 2.5" SATA (aka a laptop hdd)
    • 9.5 mm height
    • speed: 5400 rpm or faster
    • cache: 8MB or more
    • size/capacity: as much as you want

Get a caddy also, so that when you take out the HDD you can then use it as an external HD.

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21069&sid=14&cid=116&scid=305

The HDD in the link above is this one ok? It says the height is 12.5mm and not the standard 9.5, but this still works in PS3 40GB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mayotobo wrote: »
    sorry but that one dosent work. it keeps saying that the program has stopped working....poo

Funny, I have the same problem with a pre-installed copy of Swissknife which worked perfectly when I last used it:confused:

I'm sure there are other apps out there that do the same but unfortunately can't recommend a free one... If you know a linux nerd they'll easily be able to format it for you as fat32 using gparted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21069&sid=14&cid=116&scid=305

The HDD in the link above is this one ok? It says the height is 12.5mm and not the standard 9.5, but this still works in PS3 40GB?

It needs to be 9.5mM or it wont fit into the drive bay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

the neighbour recently got informed the his hard drive is knackered.
    can anyone tell me what type/size is needed or where i can get one, or even how much twill cost??
    sound out, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

s-cogan wrote: »
    the neighbour recently got informed the his hard drive is knackered.
    can anyone tell me what type/size is needed or where i can get one, or even how much twill cost??
    sound out, lads.

What your gonna need is a 2.5 inch sata laptop drive! Any size can be used but over 160gb would be good, there quite cheap now anyways, roughly €30-40 for 250gb or €70 for 500gb (if you wanna go nuts).

Check out adverts.ie for second-hand or amazon.co.uk for cheapest prices! Western digital are a very reliable brand. Hope this helps!

thanks donmeister

is this what i need??

hard drive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

s-cogan wrote: »
    is this what i need??

hard drive

Thats the one! But its only €39 on amazon for the 320gb version! Here.

donmeister wrote: »

Hey i am looking at this one, it comes with a caddy and screw driver for like 50 euro, good price. Anyway just reading some of the reviews and apparently a few people saying this WD is hit and miss with PS3 due to the speed of it being too fast for the games?

Can somebody just let me know if this one is fine to get and will work fine? I don’t want to mess up my PS3.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hey i am looking at this one, it comes with a caddy and screw driver for like 50 euro, good price. Anyway just reading some of the reviews and apparently a few people saying this WD is hit and miss with PS3 due to the speed of it being too fast for the games?

Can somebody just let me know if this one is fine to get and will work fine? I don’t want to mess up my PS3.

Thanks

It's the same speed as the HDD in your PS3 now, 5400PRM.
    There are other ones that have 7200RPM, which should be fine also but do generate extra heat.

There are other ones that have 7200RPM, which should be fine also but do generate extra heat.

Thanks! im just buying the 500GB one now so hopefully have it soon!

thanks for the help

Don't buy a 7200RPM as the speed is not limited by the HDD itself, this will make extra heat and no extra benefit.

I saw loads of test and such using 5400RPM, 7200RPM, and SSD there was barely any difference.

Hey, i am currently installing a 500GB driveon my ps3, i have it fully connected internally and closed up, when i turn it on however it says 'connect the controller using a USB cable and press the PS button' which i do, it then says the following...

System software cannot run correctly, press Ps to restart....if system cannot be restarted system partition of hard disk must be reformatted and you must install system software....connect storage media that contains uupdate data or 3.50 or later and then press start and select buttons at the same time....'

I have the 40BG HDD in a caddy i bought connected externally to PS 3 also and it isnt picking it up! anybody know how to get around this issue? i followed the video correctly for placing the new HDD inside it.

Thanks and hope somebody can help!

• Advertisement

Hey, i am currently installing a 500GB driveon my ps3, i have it fully connected internally and closed up, when i turn it on however it says 'connect the controller using a USB cable and press the PS button' which i do, it then says the following...

System software cannot run correctly, press Ps to restart....if system cannot be restarted system partition of hard disk must be reformatted and you must install system software....connect storage media that contains uupdate data or 3.50 or later and then press start and select buttons at the same time....'

I have the 40BG HDD in a caddy i bought connected externally to PS 3 also and it isnt picking it up! anybody know how to get around this issue? i followed the video correctly for placing the new HDD inside it.

Thanks and hope somebody can help!

The internal HDD can't be run from an external caddy, you can format it and use it as an normal external HDD as long it is formatted in fat32 but it won't run the same as it did internally.

From you post you didn't say if you formatted it yet?

1. Get a USB storage media (flash/thumb drive or external hard drive) with 160MB of free space. PlayStation 3 does not support NTFS file system so you must use a storage media with FAT32 file system. Create a new folder named "PS3" (without double quotes). Also, under "PS3" folder, create a new folder named "UPDATE" (without double quotes). Folder name is case sensitive so make sure that folder names are all upper cases.

2. Go to PlayStation's official website and download the system software to "UPDATE" folder as follows:
      system-software >> 3.50 >> Download
      Once downloading is complete, you should have "PS3UPDAT.PUP" file in "/PS3/UPDATE" folder.

3. Connect your USB storage media into PlayStation 3's USB port and turn the console on. If you've created folders in Step 2 and downloaded the update file correctly, the console will automatically detect and show the screen that asks you to press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time for at least 5 seconds to format the drive.

4. Simply follow the instructions on the screen. The new hard drive will be formatted and the system software will be installed.

The internal HDD can't be run from an external caddy, you can format it and use it as an normal external HDD but it won't run the same as it did internally.

From you post you didn't say if you formatted it yet?

1. Get a USB storage media (flash/thumb drive or external hard drive) with 160MB of free space. PlayStation 3 does not support NTFS file system so you must use a storage media with FAT32 file system. Create a new folder named "PS3" (without double quotes). Also, under "PS3" folder, create a new folder named "UPDATE" (without double quotes). Folder name is case sensitive so make sure that folder names are all upper cases.

2. Go to PlayStation's official website and download the system software to "UPDATE" folder as follows:
      Go to "http://us.playstation.com" >> click "PlayStation 3" >> click "Support" >> click "System Software Updates" >> click "PS3 System Software" >> click "Download Now" >> click "Download Now".
      Once downloading is complete, you should have "PS3UPDAT.PUP" file in "/PS3/UPDATE" folder.

3. Connect your USB storage media into PlayStation 3's USB port and turn the console on. If you've created folders in Step 2 and downloaded the update file correctly, the console will automatically detect and show the screen that asks you to press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time for at least 5 seconds to format the drive.

4. Simply follow the instructions on the screen. The new hard drive will be formatted and the system software will be installed.

thanks for the reply, i figured it out and now have it running :) i just need to transfer all my data from my 40GB in the caddy to the newly installed HDD. Is this straight forward?

thanks for the reply, i figured it out and now have it running :) i just need to transfer all my data from my 40GB in the caddy to the newly installed HDD. Is this straight forward?

Did you just take the HDD out of the PS3 and put it in the caddy straight away without doing anything else to it?

Did you just take the HDD out of the PS3 and put it in the caddy straight away without doing anything else to it?

Yes and i bet that was wrong now lol fu*k!!

Yes and i bet that was wrong now lol fu*k!!

The PS3 HDD is encrypted and can't be accessed outside of the PS3, If you put it back in the PS3 you can back it up to another external HDD and then put the new HDD in and restore the backup to it.

You need to put the 40GB back in.

Use a 40GB or less (dependant on how much space you've used) to back up from the original 40GB that is now in the PS3.

Remove 40GB and place the 500GB back in.

After the PS3 in running again hook up the Back-up HDD and restore to the PS3.

• Advertisement

The PS3 HDD is encrypted and can't be accessed outside of the PS3, If you put it back in the PS3 you can back it up to another external HDD and then put the new HDD in and restore the backup to it.

ah i see, well if i was to do this and put it back in, will the old HDD be picked up as noral or will i have to go through all this hassle again as i did installing new HDD? And when i put back in the new HDD i bought after backing up my old one, will the new HDD work normally now or will i have the hassle again?

Thanks again for all your help

ah i see, well if i was to do this and put it back in, will the old HDD be picked up as noral or will i have to go through all this hassle again as i did installing new HDD?

Unless something you did messed it up (static electricity) it will be the same as it was before you tried anything.
    And when i put back in the new HDD i bought after backing up my old one, will the new HDD work normally now or will i have the hassle again?

The new HDD will work as it does right now, so if you got it working it will work when re-added to the PS3.

I edited the last post and added some steps, you will need a third HDD that is the same size as the space used on the 40GB as that's how big the back-up will be.

Ok thanks for confirming i can swap between the two HDD now, i have an external HDD but i bought it in Italy and i need a stupid adapter to plug it in here lol, nothings every easy for me! lol

Cheers though, very helpful posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi guy's i finally got my 500gb hd and intend to fit it tomorrow.
    Just a couple of questions.
    Exactly what size screwdriver do i need?

Secondly,and a bit more complicated. I have to format the hd to FAT32. How do i do this? (completly tech unsavy)

And regarding transfering my data from my 80gb, i was planning on connecting my second PS3 via usb(am i on the right track)
    And when i want to transfer my Data back i assume i can select exactly what i want to transfer?

My head hurts already:)

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi guy's i finally got my 500gb hd and intend to fit it tomorrow.
    Just a couple of questions.
    Exactly what size screwdriver do i need?

A small phillips is what you need.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE SCREWS. Take your time, have a pliers handy, just in case.
    Secondly,and a bit more complicated. I have to format the hd to FAT32. How do i do this? (completly tech unsavy)

When you turn on your PS3 with the new HDD, it will prompt you to format.
    And regarding transfering my data from my 80gb, i was planning on connecting my second PS3 via usb(am i on the right track)
    And when i want to transfer my Data back i assume i can select exactly what i want to transfer?

My head hurts already:)

If you want to transfer everything over to your new HDD you will need an ethernet cable to transfer data from one PS3 to another.
    Here is the "how to" guide, http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html.

This could take a couple of hours, depending on how much data you have to transfer.

If you use a USB to transfer stuff over, you can't copy profiles or some game saves. Demons Souls as far as I know is not transferrable this way, probably other games too.

One other thing(it prompts you iirc), sync your trophies before you do anything, you can't transfer trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I have a 40gb PS3 and I'll be getting GT5 soon which with its install will mean I have quite limited space on my HD.

I'm just wondering if people think it would be worth upgrading the HD or just buying a PS3 slim with a larger HD and selling my old phat PS3?

I say I could get maybe €150 for it. Is there much of a market for used 40 gb PS3's?

A slim can cost €300 with Move in argos. Whick means I'm only actually spending €150 for the new slim PS3 and Move. The slims are also meant to be more reliable.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I have a 40gb PS3 and I'll be getting GT5 soon which with its install will mean I have quite limited space on my HD.

I'm just wondering if people think it would be worth upgrading the HD or just buying a PS3 slim with a larger HD and selling my old phat PS3?

I say I could get maybe €150 for it. Is there much of a market for used 40 gb PS3's?

A slim can cost €300 with Move in argos. Whick means I'm only actually spending €150 for the new slim PS3 and Move. The slims are also meant to be more reliable.

Why not put a bigger HDD in your present PS3? Since it's only a 40GB HDD, you could back it up to a decent sized Ipod.

The slims are meant to be more reliable, but I got one and had to return it about 2 months later.
    So, duds can still be gotten
    Personally, I'd upgrade.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

That slim with move and 320GB is €349.99 not €300, unless you have seen a price i haven't.

A 320GB drive would cost a bit over €50 to put one in you current fat.
    Move starter pack is around €60 for the move controller and camera with demo disc.

so you'll be paying €90(€40 if you right) for just changing from a fat to a slim, that is if you would be doing the rest regardless. A 250GB would be very close in price to a 320GB drive so keep that in mind if you see an older bundle with 250GB

That slim with move and 320GB is €349.99 not €300, unless you have seen a price i haven't.

€300 from Argos, according to this post, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69325491&postcount=138.

Then it's an extra €40 to go from a fat to a slim if he gets €150 for the fat, i would go with that.

• Advertisement

Then it's an extra €40 to go from a fat to a slim if he gets €150 for the fat, i would go with that.

That sounds like fairly good deal if I can sell my Fat PS3.

According to the Argos website that deal is €349.99. 320gb PS3 slim plus Move.

So if I sell my 40gb Fat PS3 for €150.

€350 - €150 - €61.99 (Move bundle) = €137.99

To buy a 320gb Harddrive from amazon.co.uk will cost €41.33 delivered.

If so that'll be €96 for the upgrade. Or €46 if I can get it for €300. I probably won't do this until after xmas anyway.

So after about a year of threatening to do this I've finally gotten around to doing this.

Have my new 500gb hard drive ready to go.

I bought a second hand external hard drive in CEX.
    So i connect the ex drive to the USB port go to system settings transfer data.

* I don't have the PS3 in front of me so wording of warnings maybe wrong.

I then get a warning about trophies and copyright etc.

Click ok

I then get stuck on the next screen.

It says please connect hard drive to source.

I'm guessing it means that the PS3 is not detecting the hard drive.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

So after about a year of threatening to do this I've finally gotten around to doing this.

Have my new 500gb hard drive ready to go.

I bought a second hand external hard drive in CEX.

Click ok

Any thoughts?

Has the hard drive been formatted correctly? One of the most common problems with the PS3 not being able to recognise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

As far as I remember the ext hard drive needs to be formatted as FAT32

Dacelonid wrote: »
    As far as I remember the ext hard drive needs to be formatted as FAT32

Actually i thought this would be done automatically (not very tech savvy)

How do i go about doing this?

Click ok

Any thoughts?

You cannot use the "transfer data utility" to back up to an external HD this way.
    The "transfer data utility" is for PS3 to PS3 data transfer.

With an external HD you need to use "backup utility".

You cannot use the "transfer data utility" to back up to an external HD this way.
    The "transfer data utility" is for PS3 to PS3 data transfer.

With an external HD you need to use "backup utility".

Sorry my bad i was using the backup utility.

Actually i thought this would be done automatically (not very tech savvy)

How do i go about doing this?

Try this, connect external HD to PC -
    1. Go to ‘run’ from the start button and type ‘cmd’ to bring up the command window.
    2. Type this in the command line: format (Drive letter): /FS:FAT32

http://www.ke5ter.com/archives/2007/11/01/format-hard-drive-with-fat32-in-two-steps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Surely you will need an external tool like fat32 formatter to format a 500Gb drive to fat 32

I'm just going to write down here exactly what i typed into the CMD screen.

:FORMAT(E):/FS:FAT32

I got no response and it just went on to the next line i.e
    C:\Documents and settings\Administrator>

A couple of other variations i tried got me responses such as
    Invalid drive specification.

?????
    Thanks.

Actually i just tried it another way and it say's 'Warning all Data on NON removable disc drive E will be removed'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

A very easy little program to format HDD to FAT32.......> Clicky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Are you trying to back up your ps3 or just stick in the new hard drive? I did this recently and didn't need to do anything to the hard drive I was putting in but it was brand new.
    I used easeus to format the hard drive I was backing up to, worked very well. It was able to create a partition (whatever size you want) on my ext hard drive and then format it to FAT32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

It looks like I will have to upgrade my fat 40Gb to a larger drive. The drive and fitting is not a problem. I have one question : When I back up my PS3 to an external drive, fit the new drive and then restore the data......will everything copy across ?? I do not want to loose game saves etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Damien360 wrote: »
    It looks like I will have to upgrade my fat 40Gb to a larger drive. The drive and fitting is not a problem. I have one question : When I back up my PS3 to an external drive, fit the new drive and then restore the data......will everything copy across ?? I do not want to loose game saves etc.

Everything gets copied Damien.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

How do you check your remaining space. I may need to upgrade before installing my welcome back games.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    How do you check your remaining space. I may need to upgrade before installing my welcome back games.

Under system settings - system information.

Under system settings - system information.
    4.8gb left. Think I might have to. :/

Is there a limit to max size you can put in?

This Samsung 640gb is the same price as this WD 500gb. Both are coming in just below the €50 mark.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Is there a limit to max size you can put in?

This Samsung 640gb is the same price as this WD 500gb. Both are coming in just below the €50 mark.

No.
    500GB was the biggest when I upgraded mine - if there was a bigger one I would have gotten it instead.
    The deciding factor is the 2.5 inch size - the 3.5 inch won't fit.

Of those two, I'd go with the 640GB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement