Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading PS3 Hard Drive.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

If you really need the space and are willing to spend the bucks... try this 1TB model

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136545

Scratch that, they don't deliver outside the US

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

i just left the hard drive to format over night but it says.

The volume is too big for FAT32.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

weiland79 wrote: »

Any ideas?

Were you trying to format an external HDD so you could back up your info on the PS3?

Were you trying to format an external HDD so you could back up your info on the PS3?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

A very easy little program to format HDD to FAT32.......> Clicky

Jesus, are you still trying to format that drive? You're making a big job of it!!:D

See my quote for software to format anysize HDD to FAT32, were you using the Windows format option?

Jesus, are you still trying to format that drive? You're making a big job of it!!:D

See my quote for software to format anysize HDD to FAT32, were you using the Windows format option?

Ha ha I am the master of the long finger!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

weiland79 wrote: »

Any ideas?

Yes as I've done this recently, provided you are trying to format an external drive to back up your ps3:

1. Download easeus for free here

2. Create a partition of ~100gb on your external drive (make sure it's big enough to fit the contents of your ps3)

3. Format this newly created partition to FAT32 type.

4. Connect your external drive to your ps3, the ps will read it as a 100gb FAT32 formatted drive and allow you to complete your backup.

If you've absolutely nothing else on the external hard drive you're using you could just format the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

I just bought a Sata Harddrive today and before installing it, I want to know what I need to copy so I don't lose data....

I know the trophies are registered to the account, and I'm not too interested in keeping photos/music etc....

I just want to keep my game saves really, and anything else I cannot redownload...

I only have 2 1GB USB Sticks (my 16gb has gone missing), but Ive a laptop and 32GB Ipod touch too....can I do it with just these items?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Kav1892 wrote: »
    I just bought a Sata Harddrive today and before installing it, I want to know what I need to copy so I don't lose data....

I know the trophies are registered to the account, and I'm not too interested in keeping photos/music etc....

I just want to keep my game saves really, and anything else I cannot redownload...

I only have 2 1GB USB Sticks (my 16gb has gone missing), but Ive a laptop and 32GB Ipod touch too....can I do it with just these items?

You can use your ipod, I used my 80GB ipod to back up my PS3.
    Just back up your game saves. All dlc can be re-downloaded at your leisure.

Screw........will.........not.........budge.

Afraid of my life to force it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

So i couldn't do it but my girlfriend managed it!

She is making me write this while she sits gloating on the sofa beside me.

Cheers guys for all the help with this, it only took me a year to get around to doing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Guys do ye know anyplace to pick up a decent sized ?, im sick im deleting content or transfering content to other hdds. What the largest the can be gotten ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

tonydude wrote: »
    Guys do ye know anyplace to pick up a decent sized ?, im sick im deleting content or transfering content to other hdds. What the largest the can be gotten ?

I just ordered this one on Friday.
    Seems to have good reviews. This one also recommended.
    Will post opinion when I have it installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Anyone know if the back up saves all network settings? I had a bit of trouble setting my network up and can't be arsed doing it again. Would be great if back up did all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anyone know if the back up saves all network settings? I had a bit of trouble setting my network up and can't be arsed doing it again. Would be great if back up did all that.

I don't think so. Don't think it did when I changed mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I don't think so. Don't think it did when I changed mine.

Cheers. I'll just write it all down. Sounds almost too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

ok im backing up my data it gets to 44% and i get an error has occured!

any ideas? ive tried this 3 times now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Is the external drive big enough to take all your back ups?
    If so, try reformatting it and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

moz wrote: »
    Is the external drive big enough to take all your back ups?
    If so, try reformatting it and try again.

apperently most of my saved games have a copy protection lock! had to delete like 15 saves once that was done it restarted from 44% and was done in 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cianm

Hi, Im upgrading my 80gb hdd and im just wondering when i enter my get my new hdd will i have to download the playstation os on to it or when i enter it into my ps3 will it just work automatically....And on dlc's i have used up maximum gameshares so will i not be able to re download my dlc to my new hdd?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

cianm wrote: »
    Hi, Im upgrading my 80gb hdd and im just wondering when i enter my get my new hdd will i have to download the playstation os on to it or when i enter it into my ps3 will it just work automatically....And on dlc's i have used up maximum gameshares so will i not be able to re download my dlc to my new hdd?

Gamesharing is illegal. If caught, Sony may ban your account/console.

If you go here, https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action?service-entity=psn, sign in, you can deactivate the PS3s not used by you.

Make sure you back up your game saves(some saves are non-transferrable) and sync your trophies.
    The PS os has nothing to do with the hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cianm

Thanks..

Advertisement