Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working in the US with Irish degree

• 07-04-2010 5:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently doing a conversion course in Psychology, and I've a BSc in Neuroscience under my belt. I want to do clinical psychology, but once I've finished the conversion course, I'd like to get some work experience as an assistant psychologist. I'm strongly considering moving to the States, California to be precise. Can I go straight into working over there, or would I need so do exams or something? Any information is helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Sofa so good

What is it you're hoping to work as?...If it's just as psych assistant it shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps email some HR depts in California and ask them, or if there is a psychology association in the area they may be of use.

Just curious, what is a conversion course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

This might be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

Hi Faith,
    I live in the U.S. and have graduated with a BA in Psychology myself. It probably is a good idea to gain some experience as a Psychology/Research Assistant. Although I'm not too sure you can do Clinical Psychology until you've at least earned your Masters degree. For that, you will need to go to graduate school (1 year accelerated program and 2 years normal) and depending on which you decide to enroll in, you may need to take some kind of exam, such as the GRE's (Graduate Record Examination) and you will need very good professor recommendations. Also, you will need a license in that state most likely. Hope I helped a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cdmt

Hey

A post grad I know said she is going to UK/US to find work as a psych. assistant beacuase apparently it is easier to find this type of work there.

Does anyone know if this is true? Are there much more of these jobs abroad than in Ireland?

Thanks
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

That's funny. I've been trying to find a job that's psychology-related for the past two years without success. Wherever these jobs are, please let me know! lol. That's why I've decided I'm going to try for UCC and try the Counseling program they have. I figured there would be more employment opportunities in Ireland by the time I graduate than over here in the U.S. Plus, I've always dreamed of living in beautiful Ireland. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

maybe Northern Ireland or the UK? Have a look at the BPS website. We're still cursed with the recruitment freeze in the HSE.

Advertisement