Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

issues connecting xbox to new eircom routers

• 07-04-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I've been trying for a while now to get my xbox's wireless working with my new eircom 8MB connection. I've gone through all the steps before on previous connections, but it seems now they have moved on from Neotopia routers, which has made every guide obsolete.

The error seems to be that the Router won't assign the console an IP. When testing the connection on the xbox, it fails on the xbox->router step. I've tried assigning an IP manually, but it still won't connect.

Rather than the Neotopia set up screen we all know and love, I get this:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7928/newneotopia.png

The model number is "P-660HW-T1 v3", googling this leads to set up pages that look completely different. I am not sure why I blacked the model number out, or named the file "neotopia". Also the ZyNOS Firmware Version is "V3.70(BOE.1)D0 | 11/19/2009"

I've set firewall to low, and tried both of the eircom PPOE logins when dealing with all the attempts to connect it.

All the guides about Eircom and Wireless issues centre around forwarding ports. Always something along the lines of "go to nat type and select xbox live from the scroll down menu". This is not possible with this router:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9462/portforwarding.png

I tried setting the it manually; adding a rule for each of the ports on this screen:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1909/portforwarding2.png

Note: This screen does not match the screen you are shown if you go to portforward.com and select the router model. I entered a rule for each of the ports, using the xbox's IP as the server IP and still no luck.

I then went through troubleshooting steps on the xbox. After turning it off and on and all that malarky I got to a request to play with the DHCP settings. So, I went to this page:

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/dhcp2.png/

Blocked out there is my computer name and mac address. I was able to enter an IP and the macaddress for the xbox, but no host name. Setting this up and then attempting to connect was no help.

Basically, I've exhausted all the guides I could find through google, and my xbox still fails to connect to the router. I emailed eircom tech support about 10 days ago and still no reply, so I'm hoping someone here has figured out how to connect to one of these new routers. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

i had awful problems with the eircom router i got with the 7mb package, i just got a decent netgear router myself and all was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

have you tried the old router and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

maybe the problem is with the xbox and still using the ip address the old router assigened for it. try turing the xbox to auto assign.

also you will need to change the timeout settings on this router beofre online gameplay as it will only last 20 minutes bofre you are booted from online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

it might be a stupid suggestion but ill throw it out anyway since i think it happened a friend. if your using wireless check of your using wep or wpa. what happened my friend was when he switched his router his xbox couldn't connect because he was set up with wep but his new router was using wpa. just an idea could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820986

i have not read throught all this but it might help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Main problem I had with an Eircom Modem with the 360 was quite similar to this. Connected to the box fine but wouldn't get an IP or access the net.
    I changed the firewall setting on the modem to low from medium and the Xbox went straight online. Which was odd as I played online with the PS3 Wii and PC with no problems on any game. I just set it on low for the Xbox and it runs fine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 electromech

Im having this exact same problem, i swear their help team is no use. our old router was ok but our connection was phased and would randomly go offline at random times, so we got the new router out to think it would solce the problem. after some naggin they sent out 3 mb that we were paying for instead of 2mb that we were getting even at that its about 2.6mb. anyway the new black router wont let me connect either, now i went direct with a lan cable and i got the same results as with the wireless adapter i have. i have tried using the allow function on the mac filter, along with other things. i think i may have to get a new router. eircom sell their product with a promise of high speed online gaming. clearly not. i know this is not an answer but may be some comfort to know that it is probably a general problem. ill keep you updated on what i find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TheCapedCrusade

Go to netopia router, and change your firewall settings to either low or none.
    It done the trick for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 electromech

tried this, doesnt work, and soon your computer will be a mess of virus's, thanks for the suggestion though.

Advertisement