Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional insurance?

• 07-04-2010 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Dont know if this is the right thread or not, If not let me know and ill move it:)

Im 17.. Male.. Still in school and Living in Dublin 11 area. Provisional drivers license.

Trying to get insurance on a ford fiesta 2002 lx its either a 1.2ltr or 1.1ltr.

Iv looked around plenty of popular quote sites. cant find a a decent quote. the cheapest is around 4 grand? thats one serious rip off!

Anyone know of anywere better to go looking?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Try to always ring, you might get better quotes

Alsoyour a 17 year old male on a learners permit. What are you expecting?

W/e quote you end up with will cost you a lot so make sure you get a decent quote or have a good job before buying the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Yawns wrote: »
    Try to always ring, you might get better quotes

Alsoyour a 17 year old male on a learners permit. What are you expecting?

W/e quote you end up with will cost you a lot so make sure you get a decent quote or have a good job before buying the car.
    Ring up - you always get better quotes. Also i advise that you google "britton insurance" - they are a broker in donegal and from personal experience are one of the cheapest when it comes to insuring people with no experience. Youre defenitly looking at well north of a grand even for just TPFT no matter where you go though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ring up - you always get better quotes. Also i advise that you google "britton insurance" - they are a broker in donegal and from personal experience are one of the cheapest when it comes to insuring people with no experience. Youre defenitly looking at well north of a grand even for just TPFT no matter where you go though

Completely agree. Online quoting systems are generally shite for under 25s, especially since you're driving on a Learner Permit, provisionals are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

You'ld be extremely lucky to get anything under 3 grand.

At your age best is to get insurance as a named driver on one of your parent's policies.

Ring, I'd say you'd be lucky to get a quote for 2.5k TPF&T

Awful lot of money...

Try to go as a named driver on a parents policy if they feel you won't be wreckless :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 darrenkavanagh

i am 16 and im 17 in may..i have a ford fiesta 2002 1.2 litre and my insurance will be €2500 off quinn direct !! thats a very good quote i thought !! cheap enough lads !!:rolleyes: ( living in wicklow )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

im 17 learners permit male.

i payed 1000 yoyos under my dads name fully comp for a 2.8 mitsubishi shogun.

you should really look into going under your parents name..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

You'd think that the insurance quotes would go down a little for people on provisionals now considering that the law about having a fully licensed driver with you is actually being enforced properly, unlike before... :confused:
    bmw535d wrote: »

That's very good! Although it probably helps that boy racers don't usually rally Shoguns around. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

:eek:

That's some car for a 17 year old!

phasers wrote: »
    :eek:

That's some car for a 17 year old!

trust me i nearly dropped when i was told by my dad as i was expecting them to hang up on him.

try axa under your parents name

not many insured in a 2.8 turbo at 17:)

• Advertisement

Vertakill wrote: »
    You'd think that the insurance quotes would go down a little for people on provisionals now considering that the law about having a fully licensed driver with you is actually being enforced properly, unlike before... :confused:

That's very good! Although it probably helps that boy racers don't usually rally Shoguns around. :)

i take it youve never been in donegal lol:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

i take it youve never been in donegal lol:P

Haha that explains it. :) Now that you mention it, was on the Aran Islands about 10 years ago and everyone drove anything they wanted, regardless of the fact they had no license or insurance or anything!

to prove how useless online quotes are i just filled this in

https://services.aviva.ie/direct/product/car.htm?_flowId=motor-flow&_flowExecutionKey=e1s2

lol over 4 grand and my dad payed 1300 for him me and my mum on the same car and company, it was 300 something for him on his own and a grand to put me on..

and to confirm yes big jeeps are now being drove by builders/farmers sons as fast as any civic..its no longer "give her the vtec" its now "give her the d4d" lol

Vertakill wrote: »
    Haha that explains it. :) Now that you mention it, was on the Aran Islands about 10 years ago and everyone drove anything they wanted, regardless of the fact they had no license or insurance or anything!

thats because the guards visits the island once a month for 1 day so on that day the place is a gaurds dream as soon as he leaves..............

on the mainland though people learn to drive when there around 7 and practise to their 17 on public but small roads..like i did:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I will warn anyone doing this that this constitutes Insurance Fraud. The person intiating the insurance policy has to be the registered owner, and Main User of the vehicle. This information forms the basis of the insurance contract, hence why the price is lower if a young driver insures a car under a parents name.

Anyone caught doing this will have their insurance cancelled from the date of inception, and the insurance company would be fully within their rights to deny any pending claims, and to recoup the cost of any claims paid out from the customer through the courts.

These are not just vague threats, I have seen one case in my professional insurance career where this did happen, and the insurance company did chase the induvidual involved for a large (10K+) claim it had paid to a 3rd party, and was successful.

Do it at your own risk, but be prepared for the consequences should you be found out, and most people get found out when making a claim, so they're in for the hit for the incident.

bongi69 wrote: »
    I will warn anyone doing this that this constitutes Insurance Fraud. The person intiating the insurance policy has to be the registered owner, and Main User of the vehicle. This information forms the basis of the insurance contract, hence why the price is lower if a young driver insures a car under a parents name.

Anyone caught doing this will have their insurance cancelled from the date of inception, and the insurance company would be fully within their rights to deny any pending claims, and to recoup the cost of any claims paid out from the customer through the courts.

These are not just vague threats, I have seen one case in my professional insurance career where this did happen, and the insurance company did chase the induvidual involved for a large (10K+) claim it had paid to a 3rd party, and was successful.

Do it at your own risk, but be prepared for the consequences should you be found out, and most people get found out when making a claim, so they're in for the hit for the incident.

first of all my dad does own the jeep and he uses it all day wile i only use it an odd time so there is no fraud going on here,dont jump to conclusions

and how would any1 prove who is driving the car more?not like you hav to clock in?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 darrenkavanagh

are the gaurds really starting to enforce the rule that you have to be with a full licence driver when your on prvisional lisence ?? are you sure ?? any storys ??

are the gaurds really starting to enforce the rule that you have to be with a full licence driver when your on prvisional lisence ?? are you sure ?? any storys ??

all depends on the cheek ya give the gaurd when he stops ya...

and if u get a new cub straight out of templemor thats a city boy thats drafted into a rural area on a power trip thinking he is going to change the world

most older gaurds will tell ya to get home and i don't want to see you again etc

seems harsh do fine a youngfella grand for driving when there are 1000's of people in there 60's that have never done a driving test because there was a back log of applications in the late 70's and couldn't drive there finger..........

owell gay burn at his best..i mean who else would have as much experience on the road,he's been chatting in an office for the last 50 years hasn't he lol

i don't know why the minister for transport isn't an ex Sergent or som1 who has actual experience of what hes talking about and knows a car from a wheel barrow,(imagine asking gay burn what he thinks of twin cams):L

gay burn tarnishes all young drivers with the one brush and speed kills etc when the reality is the roads in Ireland kill cos their so bad...never hear of many Germans being killed on the autobahn.

jeez ive gone off topic:L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

If you're a girl you'll get away with murder!
    I know many girls who drive all they want on provisionals and never get into any sorta trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Easy on the text speak please, this isn't bebo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

seems harsh do fine a youngfella grand for driving when there are 1000's of people in there 60's that have never done a driving test because there was a back log of applications in the late 70's and couldn't drive there finger..........
    It was stupid to just give out licenses to anyone who applied, but that madness had to stop somewhere, we can't just keep letting anyone drive without having undergone proper testing and it's about time a line was drawn somewhere.

And I'm saying that as someone who spent 6 or 7 years driving around on a provisional license because I couldn't be bothered doing the test until they started enforcing it.

first of all my dad does own the jeep and he uses it all day wile i only use it an odd time so there is no fraud going on here,dont jump to conclusions

and how would any1 prove who is driving the car more?not like you hav to clock in?:P

Sorry, I didn't realise that this was the case. This is perfectly fine, but there are people who do do it. I just wanted to point out the ramifications of it.

Its generally people being stupid that end up getting caught out. If you have a 50yr old woman insured with a young male driver on a boy racers car, suspisions would be raised, and the insurance company would ask for things like a copy of the VLC, and for a Main User Declaration form to be filled out. If the VLC is in the young lads name, it can be assumed that he's the main user, and since you have to be the registered owner to insure a car, the policy would be cancelled. It also looks funny if the named driver keeps ringing to make changes and the likes.

In the case I was referring to, the young lad rear ended a 3rd party. The guards were called an in his statement, he said it was his car, and he was the main driver. He filled out the claim form, when it should have been his mother who had the insurance. Once we got that, it looked sus so the garda report and the VLC were requested, and he was then found out.

OP, try quoteme.ie. It was the cheapest for the missus with a learners on a 1.2 Polo

Funny but with me owning my car but the other half driving it she has the insurance in her name but me as the registered owner. You don't have to be the registered owner to insure the car, once your the main driver & have owner's consent you may take out a policy in your name. I know this because Axa sent me the policy with my partner as the owner after we had discussed it over the phone and I made a big deal about not signing until the forms had it right. They sent out replacements form with me as owner but the policy is still in her name. She is the only driver on this car.

Yawns wrote: »
    Funny but with me owning my car but the other half driving it she has the insurance in her name but me as the registered owner. You don't have to be the registered owner to insure the car, once your the main driver & have owner's consent you may take out a policy in your name. I know this because Axa sent me the policy with my partner as the owner after we had discussed it over the phone and I made a big deal about not signing until the forms had it right. They sent out replacements form with me as owner but the policy is still in her name. She is the only driver on this car.

Husband and wife/ Common law partners are a different story. The old "Whats mine is yours, and yours mine" saying comes into play. Chances are if a couple buy a car, both of them are paying for it in some way, creating financial interest (the basis of insurance) for both parties. If one partner brings the car into the relationship, same thing can be said.

If the main user has no financial interest in the vehicle, it can't be insured in the main users name. An example is if I go to get insurance for me on a car that is owned by a friend. Even though if its with his permission, the car is in his name so I'm therefore not responsible for its upkeep, tax and NCT, didn;t pay for it, and therefore have no financial interest as if the car is subject to a loss its not me thats out of pocket.

Actually the main driver would be responsible for tax and nct for a car as I believe it falls under a duty of care for a driver to insure they have and display both valid tax and nct certs? The driver would be penalised for driving without either one so it's in the driver and owners interest to make sure the car had both not just the owner.

Anyway I was just pointing out that it can be insured without being the registered owner in some cases. It does not always have to be the owner to insure.

Advertisement