Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JJ Kavanagh Buses and the new M9

• 07-04-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whether JJ Kavanagh plan to use the new M9 for their bus routes?

I'd occasionaly use them for getting to Dublin, but if they're just going to crawl through Thomastown and Gowran as they always did, driving myself on the new motorway would seem to be a much more attractive option, especially once the final section is finished in late summer.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,949 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Legally they'll need to apply for a route variation, which can take an eternity to come through; I've no idea if they will though, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

fricatus wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether JJ Kavanagh plan to use the new M9 for their bus routes?

I'd occasionaly use them for getting to Dublin, but if they're just going to crawl through Thomastown and Gowran as they always did, driving myself on the new motorway would seem to be a much more attractive option, especially once the final section is finished in late summer.

Thanks!

Might this not mean though that customers in bypassed towns would miss out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

fricatus wrote: »

Thanks!
    Well they haven't changed their route since the Carlow-Kilcullen section opened, neither have BE. And they still take the old road from Kilcullen to Naas instead of the M9/M7, how long is that open (15years?)
    It might be something to do with licences but I suspect it's got more to do with earning revenue instead of bypassing fare paying passengers.

I don't think it makes much difference. Coaches are not "meant" to drive faster than 80 km/h anyways, the motorway sections are a bit longer than the N9 and by-passed towns are quieter, so that negates any significant time savings over the N9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

There must be good money in an express Cork - Waterford - Kilkenny - Dublin - (Airport) route via N25 and M9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    There must be good money in an express Cork - Waterford - Kilkenny - Dublin - (Airport) route via N25 and M9
    Sounds a bit long. I'd say there's money in an express Waterford-Kilkenny-Dublin/Airport route alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I don't think it makes much difference. Coaches are not "meant" to drive faster than 80 km/h anyways, the motorway sections are a bit longer than the N9 and by-passed towns are quieter, so that negates any significant time savings over the N9.
    Coaches (not buses) are now allowed do 100km/h unless a lower speed limit is signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Victor wrote: »
    Coaches (not buses) are now allowed do 100km/h unless a lower speed limit is signed.

Thanks, I stand corrected. Since SI 546 of 2008 the limit for single/double deck vehicles with seats for more than 8 bums has been increased to 100km/h on motorways only, N-roads remain at 80km/h. That should quicken motorway routes a bit alright.

Advertisement