Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question regarding SDHC cards

• 07-04-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

In the middle of buying a new cam and with regards to the memory cards is there a massive difference in class 2 4 and 6 or what eactly does it mean ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Classes of cards refer to data transfer speeds.
    I always buy class 6 currently for my DSLR.
    For P&S cameras I don't worry about it too much but would usually buy at minimum class 2.

WIKI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

There is also the SDHC to consider.. some older cameras can't read/write it. (newer ones should have no problem.) SDHC's will pretty much be 4G and up.. Some cameras might not be able to use the higher classes.. check the manual before spending the extra money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

In the middle of buying a new cam and with regards to the memory cards is there a massive difference in class 2 4 and 6 or what eactly does it mean ?

Don't lose too much sleep over it. Most if not all new cameras will work reasonably well with cheap class-2 or class-4 SDHC cards. I paid €14.99 for a 4GB class-4 card in Easons. You can get them even cheaper on eBay. My Canon 500D needs a class-6 or faster card to use the 1080p HD video mode. I can live with this limitation for now... It works fine at 720p which is still better than my old tube telly can do.

Buy the camera and a cheap card. You can get a fast card later when you recover from the financial shock of buying the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Thanks hbr. The camera I am buying is also HD lumix fz38 does this mean I'll need a class 6 also? I found a 16gb class 4 for 17.99 on amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Thanks hbr. The camera I am buying is also HD lumix fz38 does this mean I'll need a class 6 also? I found a 16gb class 4 for 17.99 on amazon

I have an FZ28 which works fine with a class 2 and 4 card, even for HD (720p) video. The FZ28 manual recommends a "high-speed card with "10MB/s" or greater". I think this is a class-10 card.

I had a look at some of the movies that I made using the FZ28 in HD mode. The file size for all of them works out at less than 3MB/s. This would suggest that a class-4 card is just about able to keep up. I would go ahead and buy a class-4 card for now. 16GB is a huge card even for a 10 or 12MP camera. I would suggest buying a cheaper card around 4GB. You will always have the option of buying the recommended class-10 card later if you will be doing a lot of HD video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Thanks mate. Appreciate all ur help.

Advertisement