Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im sorry to ask.

• 07-04-2010 7:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

I know you must all be fed up answering questions like these. But for the last few months ive been getting into photography using my OH's simple point and shoot Fujipix camera. I want to get one myself and have been looking at possible models. I think i have decided on the Canon 1000D, i went and priced it in Harvey Norman today and it was €549, i know it can be got much cheaper online.

Basically all i want to know is, is it a good camera and worthy of my money? It will be mainly landscape and nature scenes i will be taking photos of, and possibly some sports shots too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

its an entry level dslr, In a few years, if you get really into it, you'll think 549 is nothing and you'll be spending more on lenses and such! believe me, i only started around christmas :o

But imo, yeah, its worth the money!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im looking for something basic to get me more into photography and this seemed to tick all the boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

before you commit fully though, have a look at some more cameras from other makers!
    I got a nikon D5000 which im delighted with, could be happier though :(
    D3000 also tempted me!

EDIT, D3000 is cheap enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Consider buying second hand. If you are just getting in you can get a nice camera for less on adverts.ie. (No I don't have a camera for sale.) If you reaaly get into photography you will eventually appreciate that you first camera body is just that your first.

As has been said you will start realizing that the lenses matter whole new way, and the good/great ones will cost you your fist born. :D:eek:

Ah ive had my daughter for 8 months, she had a good run ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

For that amount you could get a dslr with a couple of lenses used, on adverts. As someone else suggested. A lot of sellers throw in extras too, bags, filters, remotes etc ...

If you are adamant about going new, you could get a Nikon D500 with kit lens for a little more than that. Better camera I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Melion wrote: »
    I know you must all be fed up answering questions like these. But for the last few months ive been getting into photography using my OH's simple point and shoot Fujipix camera. I want to get one myself and have been looking at possible models. I think i have decided on the Canon 1000D, i went and priced it in Harvey Norman today and it was €549, i know it can be got much cheaper online.

You can get it much cheaper without going online. Argos €443.99 for the 1000D with the 18-55mm lens. Currys were €479.99 the last time I looked which was a few weeks ago.
    Basically all i want to know is, is it a good camera and worthy of my money? It will be mainly landscape and nature scenes i will be taking photos of, and possibly some sports shots too.

Lots of sample shots here:
    http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_digital_rebel_xs/

Gosh! some of those are staggeringly good!

Reviews:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/eos-digital-rebel-xs-slr/canon-eos-digital-rebel-xs-slr-review-7.html

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/

ps I think Harvey Norman have a "we won't be beaten on price" policy. Bring a copy of the Argos catalogue under your arm for your next visit. They might be willing to price match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Good choice, enjoy

Priced the Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000 today. €479 seems to be the best price around Limerick for both so which would be best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Priced the Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000 today. €479 seems to be the best price around Limerick for both so which would be best?

Try the two of them and see which one your more comfortable with, I think both are around the same spec judging by the spec. You're best bet is to get a feel for both and see which one you like better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Priced the Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000 today. €479 seems to be the best price around Limerick for both

Argos have stores in Limerick. http://www.argos.ie

Did you read my previous post about Argos prices and Harvey Norman policy on price matching?
    so which would be best?

There isn't too much to choose between them. I would buy the Canon, many other forum members would go for the Nikon. Read the independent reviews and look at the sample images. When you make your mind up, go and buy it. You won't go far wrong either way.

Good Luck with your new camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

One little piece of advice. If you're shooting in auto, and think that the DSLR will do the same - it won't. You'll be in for a shock. So be prepared for a VERY steep learning curve, and buy THIS BOOK It's a must-have for DSLR beginners - trust me.:D

Canon Eos 1000D review

Nikon D3000 review

Advertisement