Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Digital + HD problems (common, or not)?

Options
  • 07-04-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

I've the Cisco HD PVR, and there are a number of issues that I consider deal-breakers. I'd like to hear experiences of other users to see if it's just me, or a widespread problem before taking it up with UPC.

1) The box resets several times a day, including during recordings (which then fail). It can be once or twice, but it can several times in a given peak time hour as well.

2) Frequently, when recording a single program (and there's no overlap with an earlier/later recording), if I turn on the box, it says there's a recording in progress (and lists the single recording), and I only have the choice to cancel the recording or go back to standby. It's a similar screen to that you get when you're recording 2 programmes and turn the box on (only, it just lists the single program). I've checked and double-checked that is definitely only recording a single program (and no overlap in the equation).

3) (Not quite a deal-breaker) When recording 2 programs, 1 after the other, on the same channel, if I setup a 5 minute (or more) overlap at the start/end of one of them, it sees it as a conflicting program (Sky+ / Sky HD+ is smart enough to recognise the same channel). So, if I record 2 programs on a given channel, I have to disable the automatic additional time. That in turn means I miss the end of a program (the Irish channels are very bad in this regard), or I have to manually edit the start/end time of a recording (negating the usefulness of series link)

So are 1) & 2) the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

1. my box only resets about 10 min after it is put into standby and has only ever done it when not recording

2. this has happened to me once but has not happened again

3.?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

1. If it does,I have never noticed.

2.This has never happened to me.

3.Did a quick check and it worked fine,I have the 5 min start/end overlap set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

1. Never had an issue
    2. No problem either.
    3. I never had the need to use the overlap feature, so can't comment.

I think it might be an issue with your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Thanks for the replies, lads. Much appreciated. Getting on to UPC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

cgarvey wrote: »
    1) The box resets several times a day, including during recordings (which then fail). It can be once or twice, but it can several times in a given peak time hour as well.

Might happen once every few days.
    2) Frequently, when recording a single program (and there's no overlap with an earlier/later recording), if I turn on the box, it says there's a recording in progress (and lists the single recording), and I only have the choice to cancel the recording or go back to standby. It's a similar screen to that you get when you're recording 2 programmes and turn the box on (only, it just lists the single program). I've checked and double-checked that is definitely only recording a single program (and no overlap in the equation).

Relatively common.
    3) (Not quite a deal-breaker) When recording 2 programs, 1 after the other, on the same channel, if I setup a 5 minute (or more) overlap at the start/end of one of them, it sees it as a conflicting program (Sky+ / Sky HD+ is smart enough to recognise the same channel). So, if I record 2 programs on a given channel, I have to disable the automatic additional time. That in turn means I miss the end of a program (the Irish channels are very bad in this regard), or I have to manually edit the start/end time of a recording (negating the usefulness of series link)

Happens all the time. I'm just exhausted dealing with them. The tv quality is appalling and the upgrade to the DVR was pretty useless given how often it chops the end off programs.

But we don't watch allot of tv and the main thing is the internet works perfectly and quickly - I've taken to watching the sky player over xbox live!!

• Advertisement

Cheers, quad!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭onform

I have the Thomson (Black) UPC Mediabox. On that box there is a setting that can sort out the problem below (Not sure if it is on the HD box).

If you go to 'DVR' then select 'Settings' you can specify an amount of mins (None,1,5 or 10) that will be recorded before or after the program.

quad_red wrote: »
    Happens all the time. I'm just exhausted dealing with them. The tv quality is appalling and the upgrade to the DVR was pretty useless given how often it chops the end off programs.

But we don't watch allot of tv and the main thing is the internet works perfectly and quickly - I've taken to watching the sky player over xbox live!!

onform wrote: »
    I have the Thomson (Black) UPC Mediabox. On that box there is a setting that can sort out the problem below (Not sure if it is on the HD box).

It's on the Cisco HD box as well, but that prevents recording 2 programs in a row without clashing. Clashing, as per my original post, leads to all sorts of programs, but generally speaking our clashed programs have failed (whether the box is on or off, etc.). Very disappointing service, coming from a Sky+ regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭onform

See what you mean, if possible you could use a +1 channel instead? eg More4 +1 instead of More4.

I agree that whatever UPC have released TV box wise, it is about 2 steps behind Sky.

Having said that, I think the DVR is ok. Still don't understand why some series will 'link' and some won't??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My Thompson non HD PVR is a POS, needs to be turned off and on a few times a day as it gets all laggy and unresponsive, slow menus, slow navigation.......basically ****ing awful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement