Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi which courses in u.l accept foundation maths

Options
  • 07-04-2010 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

hi as I have wrote above so does any accept this to satisifie entering the courses in U.L ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Sorry Dude, I don't think so.
    Even the humanities courses require a minimum D3 in ordinary I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

^^
    What he said

Foundation maths aren't getting you into any university in Ireland. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

is the option of repeating the leaving and attempting sylibus B maths next year not open to you. you should ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

[HTML]http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=26[/HTML]

Found out weirdly enough it does accept it for the twenty two courses listed on this site how odd :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I am not sure where I saw it and am still looking for it, but I saw that UL either does or did a maths exam before the start of term for people who didnt make the requirement in the leaving certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

I did said exam and it;s really only for honers level maths but it can be used for ordinary level as well it's usually on the week after the cao results come out all you have do is get in touch with the maths and statics department

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

[HTML]http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=26[/HTML]

Found out weirdly enough it does accept it for the twenty two courses listed on this site how odd :p

But did you actually then read those course requirements? I just picked 2 out of your 22 above and it says 'Foundation Mathematics and Foundation Irish do not satisfy Specific Subject Requirements. Foundation Level Mathematics is recognised for the purposes of satisfying minimum entry requirements but is not recognised for the purposes of satisfying specific subject requirements' and the 2 random subjects I picked being Architecture and European Studies say you need a D3 in Ordinary level.

So I'd look very carefully if I were you. Even Irish Music and Dance says you need a D3 in ordinary level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

I rang the admissions office today in u.l they are sending me out a list of what courses will accept foundation, the woman who answered said even nursing accepts it which was not listed in the qualifax website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'm stumped so, that's not what it says here! http://www.ul.ie/courses/LM150.html Although you can get in by doing a Fetac course first and they'd accept foundation I'd imagine.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Foundation level maths satisfies basic entry (matriculation) requirements for UL. So you can enter UL with it. It's been so for the past two or three years.

Foundation level maths is not usable for CAO points purposes for UL. It is, however, usable for nursing courses.

See here.

Foundation level maths isn't accepted where the course entry requirements specify maths as a requirement of entry as a special requirement (especially for maths courses, engineering and computer science)

That's the same position as exists in NUIG, UCC, NUIM, TCD, UCD and DCU. So foundation level maths will get you into any university in Ireland. Most of the ITs don't allow entry with foundation level maths, except for a few specific courses. The exception is DIT, which has the same position as the universities. None of the private colleges on the CAO system accept foundation level maths. None of the teaching colleges allow entry with it, that includes Mary I for all courses. The Gardaí will allow entry with a grade B or higher in foundation level maths.

Now, whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of opinion (and seriously, feel entirely free to start a thread saying why it should or shouldn't be so, it might be an interesting discussion) but there are quite a few courses that don't involve any maths at all and the universities are at least consistent about it (as are most of the ITs). I suspect that the webpages of some of the courses are restating what they believe to be the minimum entry requirements without having updated the minimum entry requirements as opposed to actually having higher requirements than the matriculation entry basics (which allows for foundation level laths). Perhaps no-one told them, it's entirely possible. That's the failure to update the information on the webpage to reflect the requirements rather than the other way around.

Oddly enough considering the above, none of the Irish universities currently accept foundation level Irish for entry purposes. Some of the ITs do, as long as the grade is a B3 or above. Only Portobello College and Carlow College accept a pass in foundation level Irish. As UL will take Irish or English as long as there's another language as well, this isn;t much of an issue but it's still a bit inconsistent with the maths position, although it affects far fewer people and very few second-level schools offer it for Leaving Cert.

The tl;dr version: unless a specific UL course specifically requires you to have a pass or specific grade in ordinary level or higher level maths, you can gain entry with foundation level maths. There are quite a few courses with no requirement for anything more than foundation level maths. That's the current position held at the admissions office, it's been so for two or three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

sceptre wrote: »
    (and seriously, feel entirely free to start a thread saying why it should or shouldn't be so, it might be an interesting discussion)

The longer I'm in college, the more I see how unrelated the leaving cert. was to the college experience. I'm doing Arts (Joint Hounours) - thats English & Sociology; and I don't see why I even needed ordinary level maths for that. I've never had to calculate anything as part of my course.

The entire points system is ridiculous. Where does the Engineering, the Biology, the Economics ect. I studied come into my college courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

It's an education. Do you think you'd be better off in life having never studied maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DesQ2

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    The longer I'm in college, the more I see how unrelated the leaving cert. was to the college experience. I'm doing Arts (Joint Hounours) - thats English & Sociology; and I don't see why I even needed ordinary level maths for that. I've never had to calculate anything as part of my course.

The entire points system is ridiculous. Where does the Engineering, the Biology, the Economics ect. I studied come into my college courses?

Maybe for English and sociology you don't need engineering biology or economics but its a standard of education and in some other courses these subjects would prove useful, maybe a better choice of subjects on your part would have proved more helpful or maybe the range of subjects wasn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

Dr. Baltar wrote: »

Um how far in yor course have you gotten? I know one of my friends has just finished English and Soc and she had to do several modules with statistical math and analysis in them?

And I agree, a certain level of math should be required of people for certain jobs, such as nursing (because some nurses can dispense drugs etc), engineering, science related jobs etc.

However OP I hope you get on ok and find something you enjoy

Advertisement