Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RSA "How to Use a Roundabout" TV Ad

• 07-04-2010 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

Just saw an ad on TV from the RSA on how to correctly use a roundabout.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/videos.html

Bout damn time, but one wonders if people will actually pay attention to this.

If this has been posted before, mods please feel free to merge etc etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

bongi69 wrote: »
    Just saw an ad on TV from the RSA on how to correctly use a roundabout.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/videos.html

Bout damn time, but one wonders if people will actually pay attention to this.

If this has been posted before, mods please feel free to merge etc etc.

I hope it's heavily enforced from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

k_mac wrote: »
    I hope it's heavily enforced from now on.

What do you hope they enforce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

When I first saw this advert I thought to myself "surely they can't be serious, this is basic stuff!" But then I thought of all the muppetry I've encountered at roundabouts and thought differently. However, it's a poor reflection (in general) on drivers in Ireland if such an advert is required. It may make a marginal difference but I fear the muppetry will continue.

An advert on how to use motorway lanes correctly wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I think they'd be much better off investing their money in educational ads like these rather than the 'shock' speeding ones that invariably lose their effect after about 5 minutes.

Hopefully next they'll do one along the lines of Just because there's more than one lane doesn't mean you cant drive in the left one you fυcking moron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

No one bothers about taking the left lane to go straight on the roundabout.
    And neither do they bother about indicating properly.

Its has become something just to learn for the driving test and forget about it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

crosstownk wrote: »

'The fast lane' or the 'I just prefer the view from this side' lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

No one bothers about taking the left lane to go straight on the roundabout.
    And neither do they bother about indicating properly.

Its has become something just to learn for the driving test and forget about it later.

I couldn't agree more. More often than not I'm the one getting blasted out of it going straight from the left lane. Mostly soccer moms and BMW drivers, who think that roads were built for their privelage alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I agree. The focus seems to be on passing the test rather than acquiring correct driving methods/habits.

So many drivers will even take the left lane when turning right (3rd exit) simply because there is less traffic in the left lane!!

Maybe some sort continous learning element should be put into the test for the first few years after a person passes. Similar to what I have to do with my professional qualification. Every year I have to log CPD hours by attending lectures, reading publications etc.

So maybe when a person passes the test, for the next 2-3 years they have to do a few online ecourses, and if you achieve less than a certain pass mark, the whole process, including a driving test repeats.

But then again, we live in a far from ideal world:p

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

jesus lads ive being doing the same for years , going the said way around the circle thing aka rounabout. was not suprised that it had to be show,n cos every bloody day i see twats cutting across people who are going the right way around . not only the wemen do it but the men do it too. mind you i havent seen an auld wan going round the other way in a while. saw it once in oranmore(galway) and thought she will not be alive for long if she keeps doing deadly stuff like that. is there an age for the old to stop driving i wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Seen this on TV while watching the champions league last week with an English friend,he was shocked and i was embarrassed!

His exact words were "Are you not meant to know these things before you drive"

Driver education via TV adverts way to go RSA,i look forward to the indicator and motorway driving adverts!

If done by a garda could i use the excuse "sorry Guard i missed TV last night so didn't see the advert,i'll make sure to not make tea during half time of tonights champions league match and pay attention to it"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

A good few people have got in with the 'how about an ad on how to use motorways next' before me! The fact that an advert is necessary to show people a basic manoeuvre is a really bad reflection on driving standards in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I agree. The focus seems to be on passing the test rather than acquiring correct driving methods/habits.

So many drivers will even take the left lane when turning right (3rd exit) simply because there is less traffic in the left lane!!

I have had to do that on a few occasions on a particular roundabout purely because of the amount of people who take the left lane and dont let people who took the correct lane in.

I try to keep space ahead so people can pull in but almost every time I have been in the right trying to get to the exit I have to do another lap of it otherwise Id have to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When I first saw this advert I thought to myself "surely they can't be serious, this is basic stuff!" But then I thought of all the muppetry I've encountered at roundabouts and thought differently. However, it's a poor reflection (in general) on drivers in Ireland if such an advert is required. It may make a marginal difference but I fear the muppetry will continue.

Even one explainign how to use the new slip lane son the M50 would be nice.

For those that dotn know on the majority of junctions theres 2 laness when you come down the slips from a couple of directions. The outside of the two lanes is much shorter and has about a 50m merging section. The inside lane continues into the auxilary lane which give the full distance to the next junction to merge.

The utter retards usign the M50 everyday seem to be totaly oblivious to this ad 75% of the traffic forces itself into the outside of the two lanes, meanign a solid block of cars all trying to merge to the main lanes together in a 50m space while one or two cars continue in the left and merge at their leisure. I've seen loads of people inthe last couple of weeks try to merge into the side of trucks. One woman just continued straght on in the hatchingsas if the truck would everntually dissappear nd she could move out.:rolleyes:

Do they all think that the left slip lane is mined or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Doh ! link already posted in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

A good few people have got in with the 'how about an ad on how to use motorways next' before me! The fact that an advert is necessary to show people a basic manoeuvre is a really bad reflection on driving standards in this country
    or even more frighting do a few on HOW TO DRIVE WHEN THERE ARE POTHOLES AHEAD. :eek: do you go left or right of one when traffic is against you. ive seen near misses on the country roads. sorry i know this is about round abouts:rolleyes: i get carried away when on this subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭bog master

Have to agree with many of the comments so far posted, BUT,,,,,,,,
    those who design the roads, junctions, and roundabouts must take some blame.

Now, maybe the educated here might help me, as there is two roundabouts I go through on a fairly regular basis.

An R or Regional Road, approach the roundabout, lane markings indicate two lanes entering the roundabout. There are only two exits, one at 9 o'clock, one at 12 o'clock. So which fecking lane should I be in if going to 2nd exit ie 12 o'clock? Rules of the road dont seem to apply here or why do you need two lanes entering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

You still use the left lane to go straight, despite there being two exits. You would use the right lane if you were going all the way around the roundabout to come back the road you were on.

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    You still use the left lane to go straight, despite there being two entrances. You would use the right lane if you were going all the way around the roundabout to come back the road you were on.

Its the way I do it, but why have a 2nd lane at all? If so, re going all the way around, then should not all roundabouts have 2 lane entrances?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

bog master wrote: »
    Have to agree with many of the comments so far posted, BUT,,,,,,,,
    those who design the roads, junctions, and roundabouts must take some blame.

Now, maybe the educated here might help me, as there is two roundabouts I go through on a fairly regular basis.

An R or Regional Road, approach the roundabout, lane markings indicate two lanes entering the roundabout. There are only two exits, one at 9 o'clock, one at 12 o'clock. So which fecking lane should I be in if going to 2nd exit ie 12 o'clock? Rules of the road dont seem to apply here or why do you need two lanes entering?

Agree, The rules of the road assume that all roundabout have 4 exits at 9, 12, 3 and 6

There have been various threads/debates here about, what to do with 5 exit roundabouts

• Advertisement

Its the way I do it, but why have a 2nd lane at all? If so, re going all the way around, then should not all roundabouts have 2 lane entrances?

Im pretty sure the Enfield bypass roundabout from the Dublin side has two lanes and a 9 o clock and 12 o clock exit.

As far as I know the arrows on the roads are left only and straight only. So thats why you have two lanes. If the 9 o clock exit is designed to be much busier then the 12 then having two lanes is logical.

And then another frustration for me, directions re lane marking on the fecking road, which are impossible to see if there is a vehicle obscuring it.

Particularly those marking to indicate, approaching roundabouts, with 2 lane entrance that left lane is for left turn ie 9 o'clock exit only which directly contradicts the normal rules of the road!

Bear with me, ranting mode this evening lol!

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

they should also try covering roundabouts that have two lanes entering the roundabout, but barely enough room for 2 bicycles nevermind actual cars (Tullamore bypass has at least one of these)!!

If you can read this, you're too close!

Particularly those marking to indicate, approaching roundabouts, with 2 lane entrance that left lane is for left turn ie 9 o'clock exit only which directly contradicts the normal rules of the road!

Bear with me, ranting mode this evening lol!

Oh, I know those ranting moods very well haha.

Im confused though, how is it contradicting the rules of the road?

bbk wrote: »
    Oh, I know those ranting moods very well haha.

Im confused though, how is it contradicting the rules of the road?

My understanding of Rules of the Road, left lane for exiting 9 or 12 o'clock, inner lane for llater exits unless signed to do otherwise, so you come up to an roundabout which has directions on the road which you cant see, saying left lane, left turn only, there lies the contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Agree, The rules of the road assume that all roundabout have 4 exits at 9, 12, 3 and 6

There have been various threads/debates here about, what to do with 5 exit roundabouts

I'm no expert but I always thought it was the left lane for exits 1 & 2 and right lane for every exit after that no matter how many exits.
    Well unless you are on the magic roundabout in cork where there are 3 lanes approaching the roundabout, there you just keep going and hope for the best :D

My understanding of Rules of the Road, left lane for exiting 9 or 12 o'clock, inner lane for llater exits unless signed to do otherwise, so you come up to an roundabout which has directions on the road which you cant see, saying left lane, left turn only, there lies the contradiction.

I disagree. There is no contradiction.

The rules of the road say.
    Unless road signs or road markings indicate otherwise, follow the steps below, when taking the first exit, going straight ahead or taking later exits off a
    roundabout.

When there is one lane or two lanes with just yield signs for them:
    1st Exit - Left hand lane only
    2nd exit (going straight) - left hand lane or right hand lane
    3rd+ exits - Right hand lane

If there are signs on the lanes generally it tells you.

2nd exit - Right hand lane only
    3rd+ exit - right hand lane only

To be fair to the rules of the road handbook that I just downloaded it clearly states that at any exit after the 2nd
    Taking any later exits;
    Signal right and approach in the right-hand lane.
    Keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to
    exit the roundabout.
    Check your mirrors, signal left and proceed to your exit when it is safe to
    do so.
    Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want to
    take.

I disagree. There is no contradiction.

The rules of the road say.

When there is one lane or two lanes with just yield signs for them:
    2nd exit (going straight) - left hand lane or right hand lane
    3rd+ exits - Right hand lane

If there are signs on the lanes generally it tells you.

2nd exit - Right hand lane only
    3rd+ exit - right hand lane only

Agree completely, but still believe that one contradicts the other if it ismeant to be a basic rule of the road. We all learn to stop at red lights, do we have rules saying stop at red lights unless..........?

And many of the signs and or roadmarkings are totally inadequate at busy roundabouts, giving one no time to get in the proper lane.

• Advertisement

Agree completely, but still believe that one contradicts the other if it is meant to be a basic rule of the road. We all learn to stop at red lights, do we have rules saying stop at red lights unless..........?

Forget the red light, talk about the amber. If it was absolutely STOP when you see the yellow then the braking manoeuvres you would see would be neck-snappingly entertaining.

If you were to pick apart problems with the road system then I think you are really hitting on a null point with those lanes. Its not contradicting itself because its telling you what to do unless the road markings which are designed for the individual roundabout in question tell you to do otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

its about time that add was shown it happens me all the time on the roundabout just outside ardee town mostly northerners who think they own the road using the roundabout the wrong way then the get annoyed for having been so called cut up and they tail gate you the whole way to the M1 or Carrick untill they loose interest:rolleyes:

Forget the red light, talk about the amber. If it was absolutely STOP when you see the yellow then the braking manoeuvres you would see would be neck-snappingly entertaining.

If you were to pick apart problems with the road system then I think you are really hitting on a null point with those lanes. Its not contradicting itself because its telling you what to do unless the road markings which are designed for the individual roundabout in question tell you to do otherwise.

Wont go down the Amber light scenario, possibly a bigger can of worms lol!

Lack of knowledge of roundabout usage is just a personal bugbear for me, and I feel the Rules of the Road and roundabout design and construction does not help in using them properly and safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I was going to post about this ad, I was thinking that this type of ad for a lot of road user issues would be an excellent idea.

Glad they have produced it, they need to place it at the right time. Next they need to do one on Motorway lane discipline. We have only recently gotten Motorway for the first time in some parts of the country so it would be well warranted.
    Couldn't believe it but last Thursday I saw a tractor & trailer on the M8 in Tipperary WTF!:eek:

Ha ha, it is on RTE as I am typing!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The ad is a good idea. However, it's let down by the fact that every roundabout in this country seems to have its own lane markings and quirks.

Combine this with the fact that what markings do exist are generally located right at the entrance to the roundabout (where they are obscured by other cars) so sometimes you don't know if you're in the correct lane for that roundabout :confused:

Then add in the fear factor that is part of the daily commute through roundabouts like the Walkinstown roundabout (where I'll freely admit it, I've given up trying to drive correctly when busy as it's just too damn dangerous).

Wont go down the Amber light scenario, possibly a bigger can of worms lol!

Lack of knowledge of roundabout usage is just a personal bugbear for me, and I feel the Rules of the Road and roundabout design and construction does not help in using them properly and safely.

The amber light thing can be dangerous when people abuse it and it is indeed a separate issue for another thread.

The lack of knowledge of roundabout usage for me comes from the lack of reading the rules of the road in the first place. Fix that part before you begin to change the rules because if you do, hardly anyone is gonna read them anyway.

I do agree though, signs at the roundabouts and junctions themselves can be horrible and do contribute to the mess we can find ourselves in, but I feel if the signs were correct and the books were read then we wouldnt have a problem and there wouldnt be a need for amending rules.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    The ad is a good idea. However, it's let down by the fact that every roundabout in this country seems to have its own lane markings and quirks.

Combine this with the fact that what markings do exist are generally located right at the entrance to the roundabout (where they are obscured by other cars) so sometimes you don't know if you're in the correct lane for that roundabout :confused:

Then add in the fear factor that is part of the daily commute through roundabouts like the Walkinstown roundabout (where I'll freely admit it, I've given up trying to drive correctly when busy as it's just too damn dangerous).

Spot on there if I may so! And I believe that part of the fear factor especially when approaching a large busy roundabout one is not familiar with, is the SPEED at most people navigate a roundabout, especially one you are familiar with! And I will admit, I do it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Exactly! The amount of roundabouts that i have come to that have no signs, and a different layout to the "standard". You only realise you're in the wrong lane when it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The ad could do with a mention of not blocking other entrances/exits when you need to stop on a roundabout. Can cause total gridlock when people do it. See Parkway or Ballysimon road roundabouts in limerick for examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I think it reflects badly on the driving test that we need to take out adverts informing drivers of the most basic driving instruction. I do agree though with suggestions above that these are more useful than the hollywood style accident adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

The only way to get people aware of anything in this country is too place a storyline in one of the many soaps at primetime. You can imagine one of the central characters getting points for sitting in outside lane of an empty N7, and the discussion that would ensue at the coffee break next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I have to admit that I often get confused at roundabouts like the one near the Pavillions in Swords where you have two approach lanes, but three lanes on the roundabout with two sets of lights on the roundabout and no way of charting your lanes from entrance to exit - you simply make your best guess and then try and remember what you did wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

When I was learning to drive roundabouts didn't seem like such a big deal but these days it's can be a nightmare to navigate.

I think it's a mixture between ignorant drivers and bad design.
    For instance the roundabouts in Dundrum, if you want to go straight ahead:

• on the first one you encounter in Dundrum after the M50 (not including the big one off the slip road) the left lane is to go straight as per the ROTR. Alot of people use the right lane and sometimes it seems safer to do so if everyone ahead of you is doing it. I take the left lane but I've had a few near misses, only for the fact that I am very wary of other drivers on this roundabout.
    • then the second roundabout it's the right hand lane to go straight ahead!! Of course there are markings but they are at the end of the road and usually obstructed under cars.

Also add to this there's two lanes coming off one of these roundabouts but the left lane is a bus lane. Ok it's not in service but it's hard to notice when you just come off a roundabout.

To be honest, it's very confusing and that's only Dundrum!! I wish they'd place signs up on poles to indicate which lane to get into to turn left/do straight ahead. It'd also reinforce the proper usage of the lanes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

tossy wrote: »
    Seen this on TV while watching the champions league last week with an English friend,he was shocked and i was embarrassed!

His exact words were "Are you not meant to know these things before you drive"

I wouldn't worry about it, we had them on the telly when I was a nipper and they only stopped showing them some 20 years ago. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4eYAFL6dwA

(The RSA could save a fortune if they blagged a few PIFs from the UK C.O.I.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Another thing I have noticed is that there are pedestrian crossings literally 2-3 metres back from the entrance/exit to the roundabouts. They are insanely dangerous. One such example is the groody roundabout coming in to limerick. How somebody isnt knocked down there or how more people arent rear ended I will never know!

I Avoid it like the plague. I've sussed alternate routes to specifically avoid it at all costs. Mostly driving from Tallaght into town, Drimnagh etc. and I go through Ballymount onto the Long Mile Road. I think in the last 2 years I've been on it once, and that was during my test.

Also, Whats the dealio with approaching a roundabout on a 2 lane road, and the 2nd exit straight ahead is 2 lanes. If one needs to continue in the outside lane after the roundabout, say to be in the correct lane for the next roundabout, should you go into the left lane to go straight ahead, and then switch back to the outside/right lane, or continue on in the right hand lane across the roundabout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Another thing I have noticed is that there are pedestrian crossings literally 2-3 metres back from the entrance/exit to the roundabouts. They are insanely dangerous. One such example is the groody roundabout coming in to limerick. How somebody isnt knocked down there or how more people arent rear ended I will never know!

Plenty of shunts and loads of close calls in the first few weeks after they were installed. The local student union petitioned for years to have them installed. For pedestrian safety :rolleyes:. Lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

There is a roundabout near the Hermitage Hospital near Liffey Valley SC that now has offical road markings indicating that left and right lanes can be used for going right. ie taking 3 o'clock exit. For years I was in the right hand lane and muppets would use the left lane and now they've made it ok. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Small roundabout in Gorey near the Tesco, no ****ER uses an indicator to tell you where they intend to go... absolute bloody nightmare to use... and every other ****er has a trailer on the back of them which makes them harder to avoid when they eventually decide to pick a direction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I have a question with regards the use of roundabouts particularly one. Its the round about at the end of the current road works on the M3 where the single lane splits into 2 and at the top there is the choice. First exit for dunboyne and the third exit for navan. (second exit leads to the M3 again so is not in use) so i signal right and use the right hand lane going up the slip. then i move around the round about till after the second exit and then indicate left to move into the left lane. then i keep the indicator on to indicate that i am taking the next exit (the third exit). This from my interpretation of reading the rules is the correct way of doing it. Now can someone please tell me why oh why every evening when i am driving home and come to this junction there are people in the left lane coming up the slip and then indicate or not as has happened on many occasion use the left lane to go all the way around to the third exit????

also when coming off the third exit there is always someone who has used the right hand lane coming all the way around and then cuts into the exit at the last moment causing anyone who was in the left lane coming off to jam on the brakes, then some that have come off the right hand lane into the exit drive up the next round about and take the outside lane to the first exit again causing other drivers to jam on the brakes. this part of it infuriates me. has anyone else come across this when driving this road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bongi69 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. More often than not I'm the one getting blasted out of it going straight from the left lane. Mostly soccer moms and BMW drivers, who think that roads were built for their privelage alone

I drive a BMW and always take the Left lane for straight (unless unsafe to do so).
    Frequently I have people going straight in the right lane trying to cut me off, trying being the operative word as I drive a BMW Im too fast to catch. :cool: :pac:

PS:
    The RSA need better web site people. Videos seem unplayable in Linux and likely Macs. On Windows with Firefox, every video tries to open and play simultaneously. Youtube have a commercial version for this purpose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement