Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RSA "How to Use a Roundabout" TV Ad

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I drive a BMW and always take the Left lane for straight (unless unsafe to do so).
    Frequently I have people going straight in the right lane trying to cut me off, trying being the operative word as I drive a BMW Im too fast to catch. :cool: :pac:

PS:
    The RSA need better web site people. Videos seem unplayable in Linux and likely Macs. On Windows with Firefox, every video tries to open and play simultaneously. Youtube have a commercial version for this purpose.

Hats off to ya :D you must be one of the only considerate BMW drivers in this country. There was a survey of road users a while back that I saw in a paper, and BMW drivers were considered the most inconsiderate on the roads, followed by VW drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think they'd be much better off investing their money in educational ads like these rather than the 'shock' speeding ones that invariably lose their effect after about 5 minutes.

They'd be better off investing in driver training as part of the schooling system so people wouldn't have to learn from a TV ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

It still dosent show the right way of parking on a roundabout and blocking all the traffic like alot of peole seem to do on the Dunkettle roundabout every bloody day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Better late than never, I hope these ads will be aired during peak TV watching times for the next few weeks.

This kind of basic stuff needs to be drilled into people, it shouldn't be about learning it for the test and forgetting about it thereafter.

Poor indication at roundabouts is a bit annoying, but lane discipline on motorways is my pet hate, ESPECIALLY on 3 lane motorways/dual carriageways, the South Link as well as from Naas to the Mad Cow are my least favourite roads to drive on because to overtake anyone you have to move right 2 lanes and then move back over 2 lanes again because everyone stays in the middle lane:mad:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Better late than never

Am I the only one who knows that these ads have been around for years? This one along with the 2 second rule ad and the safe over taking ad are years old!

Must be the recession or something - more people at home watching TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

After driving last 8-9 years on these roads, I am totally used to people not indicating properly, and it never bothered too much, as I always expect them to not to indicate and to indicate wrong etc, and subsequently I developed spider senses and reactions of a fighter pilot etc etc..

However, these muppets who doesn't indicate has recently become a massive problem for me as I was trying to help my partner practice her driving. She is slowly building up confidence, and then we get to a round about and there's always a couple of cars, no indication or no consideration - leaving her totally lost and nervous!

One of these days I'll chase these muppets and spray-paint the side of their car something like "I don't know how to use a roundabout".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Another thing I have noticed is that there are pedestrian crossings literally 2-3 metres back from the entrance/exit to the roundabouts. They are insanely dangerous. One such example is the groody roundabout coming in to limerick. How somebody isnt knocked down there or how more people arent rear ended I will never know!

The problem is that it'd be safer for people to cross there without any markings. People crossing think that it's perfectly safe to just walk straight out without looking at any time. I've seen people walk out from behind vans, stopped in a line of traffic in the right lane, at night, straight in front of cars in the more freely moving middle lane. Just because it's a pedestrian crossing doesn't mean the car travelling at 30mph can stop in 10 metres because you walked in front of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can only echo the earlier calls for an ad on driving on motorways/ dual carriageways. They could do a whole series, starting with lane discipline and then move on to how to merge (I regularly have to stop behind people who are waiting at the top of the slip for a gap rather than get up to speed and merge).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

I was working on a dual carriage way maintenance once and a car going the wrong way stopped and asked me directions.
    I told him to get off the road turn the car around before he got kilt.
    He told me to f off and drove off the wrong way.
    Lesson. You can tell people things but they just wont listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

It's also evident that people need the markings all the way around the roundabout because far too often I'm encroached by people who just sail across the roundabout as if there's no outter/inner lanes just because there's no road markings.
    They join the roundabout in one lane and then end up going around in another.

It's funny because, at 58 seconds exactly on that instructional video (70 second one) where he encounters a cyclist, the driver coasts from the outter lane (behind the cyclist) into the inside lane. And you obviously can't switch lanes while circumnavigating a roundabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

These threads on roundabouts make me cry!

Advertisement