Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions about MPM Degree.

Options
  • 07-04-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey all,

As a one-time ballyer (completed Ludo&CGHND in 2005), I have recently decided that I want to return to college and complete a degree, with the idea of continuing onto a Masters. Media Production Management seems like the best fit of them all, the module list interests me greatly.

I wont be applying until next year (2011-2012... have to save!) but I figured now is as good a time as any, to ask for any advice that current or past students may have on gaining entry into the course.

I notice you need to do a project presentation, but what exactly does it entail and what exactly are they looking for?

Going by this, I will most definitely be enrolling myself in a Media-related evening course between now and then, to get up to speed.

Coming from the gaming courses, my interests obviously lie in the gaming media, would a game-related presentation be viable for the interview? Perhaps a silly question..

Also, I've read they use a scoring system based on your diploma results. I attained 3 Distinctions, 12 Merits, 2 Pass during CGHND, anyone have a clue how these might fare?

Basically just looking for some advice, I have a year and a half to get ready!

Cheers guys.

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Daeltaja wrote: »
    I notice you need to do a project presentation, but what exactly does it entail and what exactly are they looking for?

Its not really a presentation. As part of your interview you will need to be able to speak about an idea for a media project. Towards the end of the MPM degree you will actually do the media project, but you do not have to stick with your idea that you discussed at the interview.

Just make sure you are able to speak about what message you are trying to convey, who are you conveying it to, and how are you going to get it across. Sounds simple, but a lot of people dont even think about that side of it.
    Coming from the gaming courses, my interests obviously lie in the gaming media, would a game-related presentation be viable for the interview? Perhaps a silly question..

A guy in my class came from the computer game course and he is making a small game for his media project, so it is possible.
    Also, I've read they use a scoring system based on your diploma results. I attained 3 Distinctions, 12 Merits, 2 Pass during CGHND, anyone have a clue how these might fare?

Are you sure ? That adds up to 17 modules. HNDs usually only have 16 main modules. It works like this - Distinction = 3 points, Merit = 2 points and pass = 1 point. As a base requirement you need a merit average which is 32 points. Judging by your results (although I think you have 1 too many there) you have 35 points so should be fine.

Just be enthusiastic and positive in the interview. Talk about having a passion for media. The course is heavily on the theory side and lots of the modules have a management focus - so make sure you get across the fact that you are interested in management. Also, be familiar with the subjects on the course prior to the interview.

Its a tough but enjoyable a year. Good luck! Oh and if you have any more questions feel free to fire away or pm me.

Advertisement