Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damaged Car - any value?

• 07-04-2010 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

The timing belt recently went in my car causing damage to the engine. It's a 2002 ford focus. I dont want to fix it. Does the car have any value and if so what approximately? Who would buy it? It's in general good shape (a part from engine!!), recently passed NCT.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

my guess is it's worth between 500 and 750 as is.

Don't Ford cover the timing belt up to 100000 miles or 10 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rael10

Aparently, Ford only cover it up to 70,000 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Whatever you do, dont fall for the trade in option where the garage offer you a figure for the car against a new one. You will most likely be doing worse than buying straight price wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rael10

mickdw wrote: »
    Whatever you do, dont fall for the trade in option where the garage offer you a figure for the car against a new one. You will most likely be doing worse than buying straight price wise

Unlikely to buy from garage but thanks. Would be happy enough if someone gave me 500 for it. Stupid question but how does the tax work - car is taxed until end of Dec, can I claim the tax back (3/4), this alone would be over 250.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

As it's now April I think you lose this 3 month period of tax too. If you get your paper work in I think you are entitled to get the last 6 months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tax back only if scrapped I think so that isnt an option really. Im sure you would easily get 5/600 hundred, maybe more due to value of tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

rael10 wrote: »
    Unlikely to buy from garage but thanks. Would be happy enough if someone gave me 500 for it. Stupid question but how does the tax work - car is taxed until end of Dec, can I claim the tax back (3/4), this alone would be over 250.

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

paddy2008 wrote: »
    Where are you based?

You've got a sniffer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

rael10 wrote: »

I'll give you 500 for it, Where in the country are you?

Advertisement