Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N81 - Hollywood Cross to Tallaght [delayed until after 2027]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Normal S2 seems to still be acceptable for national secondary projects, so it could be that rather than DC - although seeing as it joins a (low quality) DC as is, you never know. "Possible location of change in road section" seems to imply it'll drop in quality south of Blessington, though.

Currently projects appear to get to CPO stage or CPO prepared but not published (e.g. design finalised) before going on freeze.

Terrain around Blessington is going to make this EXPENSIVE as there is no route option except through the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does anyone have AADT figures for this road?

15,000 a day at Blessington in 2004 according to the feasibility study:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsDesignOffice/N81%20RIS/FeasibilityReport/LinkToDocument,19726,en.pdf

Definitely enough to justify 2+2 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Probably 2+2 for this. Dont expect it for a decade though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Weren't there plans going back at least 20 years extend the Tallaght Bypass DC westwards to The Embankment on the N81. Whatever happened to these plans?:(

The N81 needs an upgrade. South of Blessington the road is particularly poor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Weren't there plans going back at least 20 years extend the Tallaght Bypass DC westwards to The Embankment on the N81. Whatever happened to these plans?:(
    This plan is the replacement for that one.

I've received this in the door as I live in the area. I assumed "Possible location of change in road section" implies it'll be 2+2 up to that, then SC from then on. This looks fine to me.

It's unlikely this will be built in the short term though. There are just so many other schemes that are more important. I anticipate construction in around 2017, based on how long it'll take to clear the backlog of more deserving schemes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I live just beyond the tail end of it. Some really bad bends on the N81 (poulaphouca, russborough, hollywood) They have been talking about dealing with some of them for nearly 30 years and nothing happened.
    The N81 is statistically one of the most dangerous roads in the country (in road deaths Vs vehicles carried per annum), but anything west of the mountains seems to get ignored by Wicklow County Council.
    Kildare County Council are in the driving seat for this project.
    How rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Stark wrote: »
    15,000 a day at Blessington in 2004 according to the feasibility study:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsDesignOffice/N81%20RIS/FeasibilityReport/LinkToDocument,19726,en.pdf

Definitely enough to justify 2+2 imo.

AFAIK, the current estimates for through traffic in Blessington are based on 2007/2008 surveys. However, much of the traffic on the section from Blessington to Dublin was construction-based and is now but a fraction of what it was even two years ago. According to KCC engineers, a recent survey revealed that traffic levels were "similar" to 2008 levels. Fair play to them.....getting all those council vans to drive up and back for the week....

I live less than a mile from all of the proposed routes and I'd love to see this scheme going ahead.....although to be honest, I'd say the chances of that happening are slim to none, given the need to cut the Capital Budget by a billion in 2011.

However, it is abundantly clear that major improvements are required to this road, not because of the volume of traffic, but specifically because it is a very dangerous road to drive on.

+ to Larryone regarding his comments on Wicklow Co Council, West Wicklow and the state of the N81. Of the existing N81, only a few stretches are satisfactory - specifically Brittas to The Lamb and Crosschapel to Blessington. Everything else, from Tallaght to the N80/N81 junction north of Bunclody, needs widening, improvement to sightlines and/or bypassing.

I suppose I may as well dream here as in bed....

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,973 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was exploring Blessington on google street view. What a disgrace the road has become. The main street was dug up and filled in so many times during the so called "boom" it now looks like a bomb site, and i presume will never be repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can't remember the last time I got anywhere above 60km/hr between Tallaght and Blessington. The road desperately needs some overtaking opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

I was exploring Blessington on google street view. What a disgrace the road has become. The main street was dug up and filled in so many times during the so called "boom" it now looks like a bomb site, and i presume will never be repaired.

Went to tender, see link: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAY151421

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

NFD100 wrote: »

OK, but no point doing that until the bypass is built. Otherwise the main st will just keep ending up the same way. It's all the truck traffic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 andrewm4894

Sorry - thought i did a proper search before posting but missed below thread maybe should merge in

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68325658

Hey,

Anyone any info on what routes this is likely to take (N81 Road Improvement Scheme) - think it is still at public consultation stage (finishing) - final route to be public in October/November. Was wondering if anyone a bit more clued in might have insights into likely outcome.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsDesignOffice/N81%20RIS/

I missed the public meetings so if anyone was at some of them then any info would be great.

Route corridor options here:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsDesignOffice/N81%20RIS/Phase2-RouteSelectionStage2010-2011/Stage2RouteCorridoorOptionsJuly2011/

My interest is that i may be buying a house somewhat close to one of the proposed routes.

Cheers

Hey anyone any updates on how route selection is shaping up?

i created a new thread in error - was asking about route selection and public consultation

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056330627

found a post here on brittas residents blogspot about the road:

http://brittasresidents.blogspot.com/2010/04/n81-road-improvement-scheme.html
    The Brittas and District Community Association has learned that it is unlikely that funding for the upgrade of the N81 will be made available in the near future and that the upgrade is likely to only be a dual carraige way as far as the Embankment.
    Past the Embankment, heading for Hollywood Cross, through Brittas the new road is likely to be single lane traffic only.

The NRA are still progressing in identifying a preferred route and hope to make their selection in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

On the stage running through Blessington there is a LA Estate (Glending) in the "Blue" area in one of the proposed routes. What is the Blue area? And what happens houses in this area? Any help would be great!

daisling wrote: »
    On the stage running through Blessington there is a LA Estate (Glending) in the "Blue" area in one of the proposed routes. What is the Blue area? And what happens houses in this area? Any help would be great!

dont have any ideas on your question i'm afraid

maybe email n81project@kildarenrdo.com - seems like sort of question they should be best placed to answer.

also i rang them and they were pretty good getting back to me - problem was he couldnt/wouldnt tell me how the preferred route is looking so we didnt really have much else to say to each other!

let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

You'll be pleased to know that the entire Main st is currently being resurfaced. It to be completed round mid August.

The N81 is a very dangerous road and could do with a safety upgrade but as someone who loves good fast roads, I can't see the benefit of creating a whole new SC road. Either a new DC or a modifed current one.

Priority should be given to the stretch between Hollywood and Baltinglass. From just north of Baltinglass to a mile or so shy of Hollywood is a 10 mile stretch with zero safe overtaking opportunities. A series of 2+1 lengths should go in there. I drove on these types of roads in the states and when you meet a slow lorry, instead of pushing for a tight overtaking you patiently wait for the next 2+1 stretch. It's a great system. I should add that I live in Blessington and don't need to use the N81 south much.

Lets be honest about this...no funding for the construction of a DC is going to be made available with the possible exception of the stretch from the end of the "Tallght Bypass" to the Embankment.
    What Kildare Co Co are doing is spending the budget that was allocated for the design and route selection. When the final route is decided upon, it will release lands on the other proposed routes from current planning constraints ("sorry...you cant build there because a road might be built there").
    Realistically, the best we (regular users of the N81) can hope for is for the current route to be upgraded with a decent bypass of Blessington - not the current joke from the Maxol station to the Naas road.

As regards the current resurfacing on the Main Street....it looks very much like a patchwork quilt at the moment. I hope what's gone in so far is just underlay!

Oh, and while Im at it, whomever designed the junction for the entrance to the new shopping centre from the main street should in all fairness be taken out and shot with balls of their own sh1te. Nobody has the least idea of whom has the right of way. The signage is appalling and the junction at the Naas end of Dunnes Stores is nothing short of dangerous.

Balls of their own sh1te!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

exaisle wrote: »
    As regards the current resurfacing on the Main Street....it looks very much like a patchwork quilt at the moment. I hope what's gone in so far is just underlay!
    Pretty sure it is just underlay. There's a two inch drop down from the parking spots by the CoI church down to the surface of the road.

Regardless....the odds favour some crowd (ESB/Eircom/Bord Gais/WCC etc etc) coming along within a year and digging it all up again....

e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Bumping this thread up just because I saw this on etenders website .

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR332635

Slowly... very slowly making progress

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

JeffK88 wrote: »

Zee leenke, she don't work.....:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was taking a friend on a drive in my car around Wicklow a couple of weeks back when the weather was nice and on the section of N81 between Hollywood and Baltinglass a car overtook mine and very nearly had a collision with an oncoming car approaching from the opposite direction.:eek::mad:

If this sort of dangerous driving is commonplace on the N81 then I'm not surprised that there are fatal accidents on this road each year.

The N81, particularly south of Blessington, is a dangerous road and needs to be widened and straightened. Blessington could also do with a bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Zee leenke, she don't work.....:(

Etenders website seems to be down , prob maintenance or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

JupiterKid wrote: »
    an oncoming car approaching form the opposite direction.:eek::mad:

The worst sort of oncoming car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Anyone know if there has been any progress on this scheme? I presume, like everywhere else in the region, it is getting back to pre-bust levels of congestion?

The scheme is "suspended". Nothing will be done this side of 2020 at least.

At the very least, a decent bypass along the lines of the "preferred route" (see link below) which was decided upon some time ago, should be built to take pressure off Blessington Main Street.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/N81RIS/PreferredRoute/PR%20Brochure%20A3%20Map%20-%20Inside%20leaf.pdf

That, of course, completely fecks up this:

http://visitwicklow.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Blessington_Greenway.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

JeffK88 wrote: »

Link not working

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Paddico wrote: »
    Link not working

Its 4 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Advertisement