Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

before during and after nutrition

• 07-04-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

any recommendations for good foods for before during and after a cycle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chips. Lovely big fat fresh chipper chips. With lots of salt and vinegar, as hot as possible. Washed down with Coke. From a can, not a bottle. And absolutely not that Diet crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Before = Cake
    During = Cake
    After = Chips and Cake, I like a cup of tea with my chips and cake, some prefer beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

As a doctor friend said to me after the Tour of Hammerfest Louth.
    'We need to replace all that salt and saturated fat we just lost' as we pulled into the drive-thru of The Big M

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

great.thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Lumen wrote: »
    Chips. Lovely big fat fresh chipper chips. With lots of salt and vinegar, as hot as possible. Washed down with Coke. From a can, not a bottle. And absolutely not that Diet crap.

Mmmm lovely just had that,as described above..and dont you just love that feeling in your throat as you skull that can, trying to finish contents in one go ........ Ahhhhhhhhhh...Divine I tell you ..Divine. ..

NOW ..Wheres me Maltesers egg ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

avalanche wrote: »
    great.thanks

i take it they werent the answers you were expecting.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

depends on your goals . ie loose a few pounds ,gain some muscle .

my breakfast is porridge with a banana sliced into it ,juice ,toast .

on the bike i find the high5 stuff very helpful ,gels,drinks and bars i just got a stock in this eve ,also a banana or two.

note.. shop around or buy over the web . a high5 gel costs form 85 cent ,1.40 and a whopping 2 euro in the three shops that stock them near me.

i have been a fan of protein powder from my weight training days ,taking it now as im training strong mostly after a session on the bike or gym .

there is no point taking in a lot of cals if your trying losse weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Before. I tend to take about 600-800 calories for a 3 or 4 hour cycle.
    Predominantly carbs. I particularly like granola bars that contain lotsof oats nuts and sugars.
    Bananas and brown bread. I take about a L of fluid.

During I tend to drink anywhere between 1.25 and 3L of water with electrolyte tablet and sometimes something like lucozade sport.
    I eat CLIF SHOTBLOKS whch are gorgeous and sometimes ClifBazs or granola bars.

Afterwards.
    I take a torq shake immediately which is gorgeous and usually a ham sandwich and maybe a treat such as crisps or choc.

I used to eat a full Dominos meal deal after but no longer.
    Although I was out for 2.5 hours tonite and have just had a big plate of Singapore Fried Rice and a can of coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Porridge, porridge and more porridge.

Before, after, during (need to figure that bit out yet).

Good advice for anyone, not just cyclists.

DFD*.

*DigestingFlahavansDaily

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

jwshooter wrote: »
    depends on your goals . ie loose a few pounds ,gain some muscle .

my breakfast is porridge with a banana sliced into it ,juice ,toast .

on the bike i find the high5 stuff very helpful ,gels,drinks and bars i just got a stock in this eve ,also a banana or two.

note.. shop around or buy over the web . a high5 gel costs form 85 cent ,1.40 and a whopping 2 euro in the three shops that stock them near me.

i have been a fan of protein powder from my weight training days ,taking it now as im training strong mostly after a session on the bike or gym .

there is no point taking in a lot of cals if your trying losse weight.

+1 on the high5. for a long spin i use the 4:1 (carb : protein) mix. tasty and definetly helps limit soreness in the legs. i don't eat much solids during or after as my stomach doesn't handle it very well. a nice cold bannana milk shake with a scoop of protein powder followed by a nap is my post spin meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

ajk24 wrote: »
    a nap
    ????????

Jaysus well for ya... I always come home to a list of chores ...... :(:(

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    ????????

Jaysus well for ya... I always come home to a list of chores ...... :(:(

a training problem ..more than a biking one .

you townies crack me up .

we done a good 4 hour spin sat after a shower i had .
    4 free range poached eggs .home made brown bread toast ,blackberry jam and big mug of coffee .

gels,drinks bananas and fried rice .there would be a scutter out of ya like a woodcock after that mix .

Poached eggs? Blackberry jam? Coffee? Bit posh for a culchie, no?

Poached eggs? Blackberry jam? Coffee? Bit posh for a culchie, no?

its one of those old celtic tigers they were talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Not that I know anything but this is what works for me, based on longer rides....

1 to 2 hours before a ride:
    Eggs, porridge, brown bread or toast, coffee,cheese and fruit

During (depending on the length):
    Water, salt/sugar drink, bananas, fig rolls, cereal/muesli/oat bar. If its a long ride glucose sweets

After:
    LOADS of Pasta/rice, fish/chicken, veg... stir-fried with soy sauce/ sweet chili.

nice one. thanks for the feedback . no pun intended. some useful ideas here.

Poached eggs? Blackberry jam? Coffee? Bit posh for a culchie, no?[/QUOTE

you just gotta no whats good for ya.

i thing i might have a name for my roster now . :D i hope he dont let me down or its the pot for him .:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Funny how this conversation comes up every few weeks. A few things I do: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-prerace-and-preride-nutrition.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coffee (espresso, multiples) before and after (and during breaks)

Jellybeans, bananas and milk for the other times with a bit of water thrown in for good measure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

One thing that continues to puzzle me a little is how much more you eat cycling than in other things.

I'm doing an Olympic tri in June and it could be up to 3 hours long, the concensus is that you wouldn't eat during it and you wouldn't stock up on a big breakfast before it. If you did a hard 3 hour cycle you'd have to think about eating during it.

A marathon, for example, could take up to 5 hours and you'd burn up to 5000 calories, but you'd never dream of putting away a snickers bar during it. The WW200 could take 6-8 hours but you wouldn't make it through if you didn't eat during it.

Why do you have to eat so much when you're cycling?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A marathon, for example, could take up to 5 hours and you'd burn up to 5000 calories, but you'd never dream of putting away a snickers bar during it. The WW200 could take 6-8 hours but you wouldn't make it through if you didn't eat during it.

I've a friend who's pretty serious about his running and he roped me into handing him a few bananas during the Dublin marathon. I think he got someone else to do it again at a later point in the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Probably because you can... Cycling is pretty easy on the digestive system. Doing a 5hr marathon and not eating is bonkers... (haha, I punned and didn't even notice) All the talk of people hitting the wall, a few gels etc.. and that wall may not be hit, or if it is, much closer to the end.

All the studies say eating carbs helps for almost all duration beyond sprint events (40min+) - eat if you can would be my answer, whatever the sport.

el tonto wrote: »
    I've a friend who's pretty serious about his running and he roped me into handing him a few bananas during the Dublin marathon. I think he got someone else to do it again at a later point in the course.

a banana or a gel sure, but in a WW200 you could put away a sandwich and a couple of bars and a couple of bananas. Let's not talk about the ROK.....

fwiw....my polar gave me pretty similar figures for calories burnt in the Dublin marathon and the WW200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm doing an Olympic tri in June and it could be up to 3 hours long, the concensus is that you wouldn't eat during it and you wouldn't stock up on a big breakfast before it. If you did a hard 3 hour cycle you'd have to think about eating during it.
    I thought the consensus with that sort of thing was to use the bike section to refuel. Certainly energy drink during the bike leg. I think most people would need to eat during a marathon, or at least use energy drinks. So far at least I seem to be OK on energy drinks and not so much food in bike races (longest was around 2h45.)

a banana or a gel sure, but in a WW200 you could put away a sandwich and a couple of bars and a couple of bananas. Let's not talk about the ROK.....

fwiw....my polar gave me pretty similar figures for calories burnt in the Dublin marathon and the WW200.

Query. What type of food did you eat before and during both events? Also how many grams of carb and how many calories did you take on during both?
    Finally what one felt tougher in terms of recovery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

One thing that continues to puzzle me a little is how much more you eat cycling than in other things.

I thought about this a week or so ago... I would run for 2hrs without food or water but would never go for a 2hr cycle without water or some small snacks. As for eating during a tri, anything up to Oly distance.. small amount of water on the bike and thats it.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Query. What type of food did you eat before and during both events? Also how many grams of carb and how many calories did you take on during both?
    Finally what one felt tougher in terms of recovery?

before - whatever was in the cupboard (for both)
    during - WW200 a sandwich, bars, bananas, whatever else they gave you
    marathon - a gel
    tougher recovery - the marathon, definitely (but it is a lot harder)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ROK ON wrote: »
    Query. What type of food did you eat before and during both events?

I agree with what i think your getting at here, in that, the majority of people would load there Glycogen stores alot the day before a marathon but not before a 2ook cycle, where you can continuously, more comfortably, top up on the way. I think in this way the recovery time for a marathon is longer because you deplete your stores so much and don't make as much of an effort to top up.

I could be wrong before people say it though, it's a personal thing in all cases.

@Cramcycle. I think that's what I was getting at.
    I did WW200 for first time last year. It was uncomfortable toward the end. But the following day I felt fine.
    A few weeks later I did a 140km cycle and felt exhausted the following day. However I ran out of fluid about 80km in and was nowhere near a shop to refill. I think this more than anything made a difference.

i went out for a spin this eve .
    when i got in i made and now i have a new favourite post spin bite .

fresh large bap ,fried onion ,a thin slice of venison round steak flash fried ketchup ,grind of black pepper .

baked spud with cheese and coleslaw .glass of red .

jwshooter wrote: »
    fresh large bap ,fried onion ,a thin slice of venison round steak flash fried ketchup ,grind of black pepper

Did you shoot the deer yourself?

Did you shoot the deer yourself?

from sally gap to plate .the healthiest ,tastiest meat you can eat .

Advertisement