Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hollow axles

• 07-04-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

just got some new track hubs, was surprised to find that the axles were hollow even tho it came with bolts, so they must have been originally intended for quick release?

my only worry is that they'll be less strong to take my weight- around 120kg

should I get solid axles or will they be ok? got a great deal on them and depending on how the wheel build turns out I might buy another pair

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭fixie

what make,model are they? never seen qr track hubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I'd say you'll be fine strength wise, as the bolts are holding things together.
    they must be for WW fixies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

fixie wrote: »
    what make,model are they? never seen qr track hubs

well if they are quick release you cant use them on a track but I'm sure theyre fine with bolts instead of the skewer

Im only 108kg it seems so a little less worry!

Its a Novatec double fixed high flange silver alloy hub
    http://www.novatec.com.tw/novatec/english/p_racing.php?c1=2&c2=7

they are decent enough from what I can gather online and in my hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

after looking at their website I think all their hubs come with hollow axles and skewers are optional

http://www.novatec.com.tw/novatec/english/p_racing.php?c1=5&c2=21

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Then you put weight on a beam the top is in compression and the bottom in tension. The core of the beam isn't in either so doesn't really add a lot of strength. This is why I beams are thinner in the middle and why the frame of a bike is made from tubes rather than solid bars.

Time was I'd consider no-name hollow axles to be stronger than no-name solid ones simply because the aren't as easy to make, so the materials would supposedly be better.

I've broken solid axles, but not hollow ones, but the experiment of one is not statistically valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Then you put weight on a beam the top is in compression and the bottom in tension. The core of the beam isn't in either so doesn't really add a lot of strength. This is why I beams are thinner in the middle and why the frame of a bike is made from tubes rather than solid bars.
    I'm no engineer, but I imagine this is precisely the reason why two-piece cranks with a wide hollow spindle are stiffer than 3-piece cranks with a solid but thinner spindle.

Advertisement