Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loose integrated Headset

• 07-04-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

LBS fitted a Cane Creek Is-3 headset in. Was slightly loose. Went onto Cane creek website and followed this but seems to have made it worse.
    It has a BBB top cap and bolt. Just wondering is the bolt too far from the actual headset as I have 2 small spacers between the top cap and stem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Check that your steerer expander/bung is tight before adjusting the top cap otherwise all you'll do is pull up the bung instead of loading the bearings. Why a BBB top cap when Canecreek supply their own with the headset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

[QUOTE=lescol;65297761 Why a BBB top cap when Canecreek supply their own with the headset?[/QUOTE]

'Cause the headset came with a starnut which I thought was a bit odd at the time but I let LBS install it and they knew straight off it was wrong.So I just told them to put in the expander they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

The Canecreek top cap would still work though!

Canecreek make two sizes of bearings, their own IS is slightly smaller than Campagnolo. The bearings should fit with no gap, if they're slightly loose in the headtube then you've the wrong size. Then check that the crownrace is seated correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

bcmf wrote: »
    ... Just wondering is the bolt too far from the actual headset as I have 2 small spacers between the top cap and stem.

LBS may have used the washers there to compensate for the difference in height between old and new headset without having to cut the steerer.
    Assuming you have carbon steerer, ensure expansion bung is tight and doesnt slip up, and that it is approximately 5mm below the top of the steerer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I remember the 'senior' member saying when I picked up the bike that it seemed slightly loose but excpected it too bed in.Now the bearings don't seem 'comfy' in the head and the only way I can get it without any movement is by leaning on the stem to tacke up any slack as I tighten.Looks like I have the wrong size bearings and may have to go for 'campagnolo' sized bearigs or get a headset from Hong-Fu

• Advertisement
Advertisement