Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seeing other peoples grades - how does people feel about it

Options
  • 07-04-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

One of the module lecturers uploaded results from an assignment on to SULIS today. this has happened before which listed the grades of everyone doing the module.

am just curious, how do people feople feel about other members of their class seeing their assignment results?

should they be confidential and be up to the individual student whether or not they should tell other people in their class their result?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd agree with them being put up in relation to a student number and not a name specifically. Imo it encourage you to do better rather than closeting poor grades to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bobsxx

I would'nt mind my ID number showing but defo not names! Most of my lecturers do it but i would'nt know anyones ID number so it does'nt make a difference to me if they are there or not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

the results which I received today contained the names and the id numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bobsxx

ya i defo wouldnt like that! maybe you should e-mail the lecturer if theres a few of ye unhappy and tell him/her just to put up the id numbers but not the names!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

It can be a bit of a pain, and I'd prefer getting results in some other fashion, but I guess that's the way it goes.

Just a couple of days ago, a lecturer uploaded assignment results with just I.D numbers, but people can still find out who got what by just putting the ID number into MS Outlook, if they're really that nosy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Name and shame sounds like a good enough motivation for me to try harder tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

Personally I don't think it is fair at all. I know that, for different reasons, different people have my id number. Being informed by classmates of the result you have gotten before you have even checked yourself is not the most pleasant experience, whether the results are good or bad!

I wonder how hard it would be for all lecturers to actually use the (private) gradebook on SULIS, like some do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

I was referred to this thread by a poster on my questions page. If anybody wants to make a complaint/suggestion to the lecturer about the way the grades were distributed, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Whats the point? All you have to do is type the ID number into ur e-mail and the name just pops up. That has to be changed before you can do anything else. It's one thing giving someone ur ID number but anyone can find out what the name behind the ID number is.
    WHY IS EVERYONE COMPLAINING NOW? ITS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE THE NEW E-MAIL WAS BROUGHT IN

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DaveR1 wrote: »
    WHY IS EVERYONE COMPLAINING NOW? ITS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE THE NEW E-MAIL WAS BROUGHT IN
    The "new e-email" (as in UL's usage of an Outlook-based system of email) was introduced in 1995. Billy the squid as OP isn't complaining that anyone can look up your name from your ID number as is obvious from the first post. He's asking whether grades for assignments should be available to the whole class at all or should be between the lecturer and the individual student as they are for final module grades given that, as Ms Cosmo mentioned, there is a system in place in SULIS for individual students to get their own grades without having them displayed on a noticeboard. That's what he's asking.

And "that's how it's been since..." is a poor reason to avoid change in any situation, that's why we came down from the trees and started farming crops as opposed to just eating bark and have done other new things since. Questioning the way things are is rarely a bad thing, whether or not change comes about as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I don't mind it when a lecturer sends out the results of a test, it gives you a good idea of where you are in the class and who are those you need to get better friends with before the exams :P. Although the final grades shouldnt be viewable and should remain secret I see no problem with the continous assessment part being shared among the class.

It is also nice when you see that your 1/2 in the class, a nice ego boost for yourself

Advertisement