Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whistler 2010/11 Season?

• 07-04-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi guys,
    is anybody here planning a season in Whistler next year? I just sent off the forms for my visa so there's no turning back! :) Anyway I'm looking for people to share a house with as I have been in contact with a few landlords over there already. I've potentially got one or two other Irish guys in the house but nothing set in stone yet. So if you're interested at all then let me know.

Jamie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Well iv also just applied for it as well! cant wait! if this year is anything to go by, we'll be in for a treat, nearly 15m and counting of the lovely white stuff!
    jamie, iv sent you a fb mail.. so if anyone here is interested in going to whis, let us know!
    any previous seasonaires from there, feel free to give some words of advice! finshing up the season in morzine now so hopefully jobs wont be too hard to come by
    GreenPixels4Life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ohanlc

jamieharte wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    is anybody here planning a season in Whistler next year? I just sent off the forms for my visa so there's no turning back! :) Anyway I'm looking for people to share a house with as I have been in contact with a few landlords over there already. I've potentially got one or two other Irish guys in the house but nothing set in stone yet. So if you're interested at all then let me know.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Im hoping to head over to Whistler in November for the start of the winter season.

Sent off my visa application about 3 weeks ago. getting a bit excited now.

i would be very interested in sharing a house.

Heading over solo so it would be great to have accom set up.

when are you planning on heading over.

Im Cian by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 happo

Sorry Guys to derail the thread but what visa do you apply for? Is there is a special visa for season work?

I would love to spend a season in Whistler but it wont be this year! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ohanlc

happo wrote: »
    Sorry Guys to derail the thread but what visa do you apply for? Is there is a special visa for season work?

I would love to spend a season in Whistler but it wont be this year! :(

i applied for the u35 working holiday visa. i dont have a job set up, going over and hoping to get a job in whistler.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

i got the usit student 12 month visa..your basically eligible for this as long as you apply within a year of graduation or a gap year etc.. its actually so much easier to get a visa if your irish compaired to british, a few of mt mates over the water are struggling to get them but my one took zero time and effort. good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jamieharte

ohanlc wrote: »
    Hi Jamie,

Im hoping to head over to Whistler in November for the start of the winter season.

Sent off my visa application about 3 weeks ago. getting a bit excited now.

i would be very interested in sharing a house.

Heading over solo so it would be great to have accom set up.

when are you planning on heading over.

Im Cian by the way.

Hi Cian, good to hear from you.

I'm heading out at the end of october or start of november. Haven't booked flights yet so not really set on any date. I presume Ollie (Granty1987) is thinking of similar dates. Whistler mountain usually opens in late November and most jobs don't really start til december.
    I'm finishing up my studies in two weeks so don't really have the time to follow up any leads for accommodation for the next wee while.
    Feel free to check out the classifieds in the local newspapers, the Pique http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php?cat=C_Classifieds and the Question http://www.whistlerquestion.com/section/Whistler9908&type=6718. Creekside if the best location for seasonaires so that's where i've been focussing.
    The best value for us would be to take a house for 6-8 people, pay the deposit between the 3/4 of us and then pick up another few people out there. The market for houses in Whistler is crazy so it's very easy to find housemates if you've got a house nailed down. We might be able to charge them a little bit more to reduce our rent since we will have found the house and coughed up for the deposit etc. Most ads on those two sites are for summer lettings starting now but I've just been emailing them asking about next season, prices, photos, location etc.

Let me know if you get any leads.

Jamie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sexy_mom

Hi guys,

Im also looking to go to Whistler for 2010/2011 ski season! Was doin some research and came across this website

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/jobs/index.htm

It seems good for jobs etc and they are doing interviews in london in july, but I think to get an interview you have to pay a couple hundred euro, and they dont hire without a face to face interview... So im not too sure what to do.. Seems a bit much to pay that and fly over for the day if i cud still end up without a job..
    Are you all going out there and just hoping to get jobs? Or arranging stuff before you go over?

PS ignore my stupid username, set it up as a joke, and havent got a clue how to change it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DG123

Hey hows its going? My name is Dave and I did a season in Whistler a couple of years ago and going back next season for another. Sexy mom: I wouldnt worry about going over for that interview in London, if you anyway determined and slightly competent you shouldn’t have any trouble in getting a Job in Whistler in the winter season. That jobs fair is for the mountain operator I think (everyone call them the mountain). There are some perks to working for them like free lift pass, discounts on gear, and discounts food up the mountain but the main down side is if you are working for them you are likely to be working on the lifts or in one of the restaurants during the day so that means less time to board, and when its dumped 50cm over night and you are putting everyone on the lifts and watching them shred I don’t think anything could be worse. Lots of night jobs or more flexible people to work for in Whistler than the mountain. Accommodation is going to be the most difficult thing to sort as it is very competitive for the winter months. I went with a company call seasonaires.com, very expensive but completely hastle free and good accommodation. Other ones like it rideonwhistler.com and seasonit.co.uk. If you have any question feel free to shout.

Hey Dave, thanks for all the info! Very helpful. Those sites look really good for accommodation!! That website I linked made me think they organised all the jobs in the whole area, but you say its just the jobs like on the slopes? So do you think we'd be able to find jobs in retail or bars if we just head over without them organised? We were thinking of going around September, I know ski season doesn't start til November but we really just want to get going.. Or do you think thats a bad idea? Sorry bout all these questions, we just haven't got a clue what we're doing!

Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AnnaBarford

Hey guys,

Just got my visa forms through, so excited right now! I am in desperate need of some snow and fun...only 7 months to wait:(

I'm also unsure about work, was thinking of finding a job when I arrive mid-october but not sure if I have the guts to do such a risky thing. I also looked at that website that you had to pay to be guaranteed a job and I thought it sounded like a load of sh*t...Anyone got any ideas about jobs they want to do? I'm thinking chalet hosting...maximum amount on the slopes, accomodation and food free etc. but still unsure. Bar jobs are a hell of a lot of fun, just more competition for the job. The only negative would be the hours drinking after work = less time to ski due the subsequent hangover! I've done the whole ski repping thing for a couple of weeks in Val Thorens and its just way too much hard work, fun though.

Sooo I'm wondering what your next step is for accomodation, if i went for the bar job option, I would be looking for a house share...I have no idea about locations etc. so need to check it out, will do some research asap. It seems like a difficult thing to set up since we can't get there in person to sort it out...sure it will be fine though. I have two other girls I know heading over there, so far we are going our seperate ways but I will mention this house share idea to them and get back to you.

Anna

• Advertisement

As far as I know it is just for the Mountain and perhaps some of the other really big employers like big hotels. All the jobs in retails and bars are got by dropping in your CV to the manager randomly. I got a job as a door man in the Irish bar (I know, typical) by doing that.

One thing about Whistler thats different to over here is that they dont pay any attention to you the first time you drop in a CV unless you get very lucky, they actually like it when you come in a few times and keep pestering them every few days. If you are heading over in early September then getting accommodation should be OK as its the end of the bike season and lots of people will be moving out but its hitting the lull season where Whistler is very rainy and not alot of visitors, hence no jobs. Most jobs for the winter season dont really get going till early or mid December. So you might need a fair bit of cash to tie you over. You could get lucky though! Oh and for gilrs its alot easier to get jobs, I dont want to sound like a dick here, but if you are good looking and have big boobs you can get a great job waitressing, it just the way it is. Bars only higher girl servers and they can make a fortune in tips. In some bars if you working the right shifts it can be as high as 300$ a night.

Re chalet hosting I don’t think there is a massive amount of that going like there is in European resorts. Most people stay in condos as they call them or hotels. Areas to stay that are closest to the lifs and all pubs and clubs are Whistler viallge, upper village, White Gold and Whistler Cay Heights, Creekside is close to the creekside Gondola which gives you direct access to Whistler mountain but is a bus ride from the main village where you can access both Blackcomb and Whistler, and where most of the pubs, all night clubs and most of the shops are, Rents are a bit cheaper in Creelside thoug. Craiglist is great but be very careful about sending any deposit over to secure a place as there are conmen on there who just sent a fake place to target people desperate to secure a place for the season. Google the Pique which is Whistler weekly newpaper and they have a classifieds section. Rents on both classifieds lists will go up for the winter season though and perhaps more if your only looking for a 6 or 7 month lease. Again shout if you have any more questions, I am in college and looking for any reason not to do an essay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daniels898

Hello !
    I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

DG123...Thanks for all the info! Like everyone else on this thread, I (along with a friend) am hoping to work and play in Whistler for the winter season. So, would you recommend going with a company like 'Season it'??

Thats very interesting information Dave, 300 dollars for one night waitressing? I think I know what job I'll be applying for!! Ha and there's an Irish bar, thats great. There's four of us going now so think we're going to try and find a 2 bed apartment, I'm actually going to start emailing people now to see what information I can get from them.

Oh and I found this website that seems really good if anyone wants to take a look at it!

http://www.nonstopcanada.com/insiders-guide/a-season-in-whistler/

No worries guys. Ruadh: I stayed with seasonaires.com, I hear seasonit are a bit stricter on noise and keeping the house tidy, but still heard good things about them and they do have a weekly cleaner. I stayed in Chalet Whitegold with seasonaires.com which was a sweet place, only down side is sharing a room but the house is well big enough to get away from people in. The down side is sharing rooms and the price. I think it all really comes down to adding up somthings against each other;The cost of the what you are likely to pay for a seasons rent by going out at the start of October and finding a cheap place to stay, but with out getting work untill perhaps mid December, plus all the spending money you will need to keep you going till then, versus what you would save in terms of spending money and potentially earn, by staying at home working until mid November and then heading out to one of the ready organised accommodations that charge more. I dont know if that makes sense or not. Anyway, I am going to save like crazy either way and see how thats going in 2 months time and make my mind up what way I will go depending on saving. So i may well go back with seasonaires.com.

www.whistler24.com also have a guide thing like that somewhere if you wnat to have a look sexymom.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Timmy_shreds

Lots of companies out there offering instructor courses offer just that with a few little add -ons.
    Only one offers high end freestyle and freeride 12 week coaching camps along side the 12 week instructor camps. http://www.pro-ride.com
    With other companies you are getting tuition from snowboard instructors for the CASI instructor training only. Pro-Ride has professional sponsored snowboarder pushing you beyond your comfort zone to help you achieve your riding goals.

If your looking at paying over the odds for just accom. and lift with a company like seasonaires why not get pro coaching and guiding for a similar price.

I have heard good stories about seasonaires but more horror stories from friends that have stayed in various resorts they cover.

Its set up to allow people to do a season easily but at a very high price.

They don't generally have many returning customers (unless they are super flush with cash and like being packed in like cattle). One friend this season backed out when he found a much cheaper place and lost 85% of his entire full season payment, full deposit and season pass. Understandable on the companies part.
    You really realise how high their prices are when you see the prices for accom in the local papers and craigslist come Oct/Nov.
    You have been warned, we warned him not to go with them. No need to get scalped by these companies who are waiting for noobs to prey on.

DG123's advice is really good on Whistler working and getting here early. He speaks da truth.

On a happy note I have just had the best snow season ever out here in Whistler with record snowfall from opening day Nov 14th right up to closing day Monday 24th May. Over 15m cumulative snowfall!
    So much terrain and three amazing parks. No better place to do a season.
    28909_10150183416045223_618220222_12097571_1461788_n.jpg

Talked to a buddy who has spent a season with them a few years back and got some good info about the specific seasonaires houses here in Whistler.

"if its a small group of people i would say the creekside one as about 8 people fit in there so it would be their own place
    if bigger like 10-12 people then white gold
    if only 2 or 4 people i would say white gold and ask for the side flat at white gold as it would be your own palce with kitchen, washer, bathroom etc"

I live in Whitegold right now and its an awesome area. Walking distance to town and Blackcomb lift. Slightly longer 5-10min walk to town center lifts. Two supermarkets close by.

Hi all,

Hi timmy,looks like you had one sweet season alright. Lets hope for the same again.

I am not too sure about pro ride being just a bit more expensive though. 12 weeks with them cost nearly 15,000 dollars as opposed to around 6,250 for seasonaires, seasonit etc. for the whole season. When I stayed with seasonaires they had 2 returning customers in our house and I am considering going back with them or a similar company, so cant be too bad. I stayed in the main part of the Whitegold house and no one was part of a group so it was a great way to meet new like minded people, make friends and have people to ride with. Hot tub (with some of BCs best to relax after riding!!!) is a big plus, something I would love to have again this season. Being packed in like cattle wasnt an issue either as it was only 2 to a room and all of them bar a bunk bed room was fairly spacious. Have certainly had mates who didnt get accommodation sorted locally in time and ended up out in Alpine Meadows sharing a room with 4 others!

I was just wondering if any of you guys have looked into insurance, the insurance I got last year was probably not suitable and after all the injuries and medical bills of mates its not something I would advise compromising on now. USIT insurance is going to be inadequate as it only covers 30 skiing/riding. I got this info off a local Whistler insurance provider,it covers off piste, park back country etc.

"May I suggest that you look into applying for BC Medical. I have attached a copy of the application. This is done through the provincial government. If you hop on the website, there will be additional information for you. I can not offer any advise on the plan, but I do know, my husband and myself pay $102.00 per month and it is unlimited medical. It doesn't cover physio or chiropractor but doctor visits etc etc it does." See attached form.

But I am not too sure if USIT will accpet it, as its not really holiday insurance, more actual health insurance that Canadian residents take out. Any any thoughts or experiences?

I have used the British Mountaineering Council Alpine and Ski extended policy for the last 4 or 5 years.
    Absolutely no complaints. A little expensive but its due to extending the cover to year long instead of 90 days. You can also put your spouse on for on a tiny bit more.
    The best thing about it is off piste is absolutely no questions asked covered as its for hardcore climbing types.
    You don't have to pay up front at the hospital when your broken they sort it all for you and pay up right away after you or the hospital calls them.
    Also if you stay longer than the 1year you can call them up and just renew the policy form abroad.

You talk to real local people in their office in Manchester. Also covers surfing, mountainbiking and lots of other hazardous sports. They also allow you to use snowboard parks and do competitions which some insurance companies don't.

I stand corrected on seasonaires and will happily recommend them to friends DG123 :)

I also have the BC Medical policy for my girlfriend and I. Some jobs offer medical cover but be warned this does not come into effect until you have worked with them for three months or more and its still basic limited cover that might not stretch you for on mountain breakages. If your able to hobble to the medi clinic thats a different matter. The 500yard ambulance ride from bottom of mountain to the clinic costs over $500CAD.

Jamie! can't wait to rip some shred withyou again bro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 p4rlx

Hi Guys,

Heading there from South Aus in mid October. Just booked flights and feeling a bit of the fear. Keep worrying to myself, will I be able to afford it? Will I not? hahaha.

Flying out from Adelaide on the 12th October, anybody else from this area doing the same thing?

• Advertisement

Cheers Timmy, thanks for that. Perhaps a bit expensive but I would say well worth it. The no questions asked off-piste is what really interests me as I want to get into doing as much backcountry touring as possible this season. Trying to decide weather or not to try and find a split board (expensive though) or just go for snow shoes. Anyone got any experience with splits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Guys and girls...

word of warning some companys suck to work for...
    but you get to snowboard every day.. My adivce is to pack pretty light youle pick up stuff over there and its a pain to send back :mad:

lads bring condoms
    girls bring condoms

You'le have the time of your life over there, its a dam good resort to go o actually most reosrts are if the snow is right oh and for those snowboards who are chasing powder all the time...

bring a few jars of tiger balm, i swear to go getting ragged dolled 3 days a week can hurt and the tiger balm sorts it out. the aches :)...
    dvds bring a hard drive if your an early riser who rides 6 daysa week then it can keep you entertained. books, granted youle drink youtr selves stupid mosst of the time...

Do be carefull, of sti and stds because theres a lot of shaging in most resorts amounsgt seonares, last resort i seasoned it was gonaria......
    Its horrible, from what I've heard. Keeps your wits abpout you if your riding pow, dont do stupid things.
    dont bye loads of gear untill youve told them your there for the season regardless of what country your in you can get looked after.

If your driving in the snow try not to brak to much :)

good luck Youle have the time of your lives I swear to god :D

DG123 wrote: »
    Cheers Timmy, thanks for that. Perhaps a bit expensive but I would say well worth it. The no questions asked off-piste is what really interests me as I want to get into doing as much backcountry touring as possible this season. Trying to decide weather or not to try and find a split board (expensive though) or just go for snow shoes. Anyone got any experience with splits?

First of all do you have much experience of skiing or mountaineering? And a very active lifestyle already. You will need tons of energy and motivation. There are big rewards out there and the terrain you can access is insane.

You need a bit of everything to do Split boarding as its pretty hard-core. If your going to just dabble around in the slack-country (just out on the fringes of the resort) I would stick to snow shoes & pole or just good old boot packing. There is so much to ride in bounds or an hour or two hike out. So much so its hard to fit it all into one season.
    Do have mountain experience and are you going to buy a car? Many of the places are well off the beaten track and just to access the point of setting off on snow you need to drive and hour or two. Self rescue is often the first option as it may take time for alarm to be raised and help flown to you.

Do an extensive Avalanche course and Medi course when you arrive here. Usefull for hiking in bounds and out of bounds.
    Also befriend some proper split board or ski-touring folk, not somebody in a bar that has tried it once of twice.
    Many of the touring community don't ride the resort much at all.

Split boarding is shouldn't be taken lightly. Be aware of the amount of time needed to rig and de-rig the board/bindings/skins/strip/add layers of clothing (constantly)/ eat high energy food/ pack, repack and pack again your rucksack so its evenly weighted for all the above re-arrangements. All while trying to keep up with the high speed people you have gone out into the backcountry with. Feels **** when you can't keep up with people and your holding them up.

Ice axe, rope work and crampon use experience can be an asset.

My flatmate this season threw himself into it head first with excellent results. He had a hardcore crew of ski tourers and split boarders to help him out and guide him. He writes on these forums and might see this post.

Gavan, step up and explain this one better than I can.

First of all do you have much experience of skiing or mountaineering? And a very active lifestyle already. You will need tons of energy and motivation. There are big rewards out there and the terrain you can access is insane.

You need a bit of everything to do Split boarding as its pretty hard-core. If your going to just dabble around in the slack-country (just out on the fringes of the resort) I would stick to snow shoes & pole or just good old boot packing. There is so much to ride in bounds or an hour or two hike out. So much so its hard to fit it all into one season.
    Do have mountain experience and are you going to buy a car? Many of the places are well off the beaten track and just to access the point of setting off on snow you need to drive and hour or two. Self rescue is often the first option as it may take time for alarm to be raised and help flown to you.

Do an extensive Avalanche course and Medi course when you arrive here. Usefull for hiking in bounds and out of bounds.
    Also befriend some proper split board or ski-touring folk, not somebody in a bar that has tried it once of twice.

Split boarding is shouldn't be taken lightly. Be aware of the amount of time needed to rig and de-rig the board/bindings/skins/strip/add layers of clothing (constantly)/ eat high energy food/ pack, repack and pack again your rucksack so its evenly weighted for all the above re-arrangements. All while trying to keep up with the high speed people you have gone out into the backcountry with. Feels **** when you can't keep up with people and your holding them up.

My flatmate this season threw himself into it head first with excellent results. He had a hardcore crew of ski tourers and split boarders to help him out and guide him. He writes on these forums and might see this post.

have you done, the Spear head Traverese, In whistler ?

No I haven't Snow Monkey

Would like to do it sometime and often talked about it season 08/09 and the one just passed. Been told by folk that it is more of a traverse than downhill snowboarding.
    Like the snowhole bivvy part. Takes two days witht he second night spent in a hut.
    Did you do it when you were out?
    I would like to go up to some of the huts in the Duffy and use that as a base for a 3 or 4 day excusion.
    Gavan did something like that. You gotta bring all your own food and fuel up there with you so its heavy going. He made a shed load of homemade high protein and energy mix granola bars that he could munch on while trudging along.

When were you out Snow Monkey? Good advice on the condoms. Whistler is the STD/STI capital of North America, Banff a close second.

irst of all do you have much experience of skiing or mountaineering? And a very active lifestyle already. You will need tons of energy and motivation. There are big rewards out there and the terrain you can access is insane.

Cheers Timmy,

I have done a season and holidays so I around 150 days riding experience in total, never know weather or not to call it experienced though! However I definitely need to do my avi courses before getting out there. I would say I am fairly fit and active as is. I have done a days backcoutry riding with a guide and a group of mates, and loved it. Its probable more what you call slack country though! Some of the group rented splits but I just used snow shoes. Splits did look a lot easier though.

I would realistically being looking at riding the stuff on the boundaries of Whistler/Blackcomb. Might be able to get split board for cost price through work but wondering weather or not it would be of much us for day trip hiking out of bounds rather than proper touring in far off backcountry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

My sister did the Spearhead Traverse about a month ago on skins...she's sworn never to "up" again!!! lol!
    Check out www.rideonwhistler.com for places to stay/train etc in the winter. Come as early as you can to get good accommodation deals - the price goes through the roof and can be difficult to find places in the winter, or so I hear (this season will be my 1st winter here). There's a photography exhibition in one of the restaurants here at the moment, photos of the hovels, shacks, vans and treehouses that desperate people have turned to and crammed themselves into in the winter just to be able to live here cheaply! Some inventive 'living spaces!" But much more comfortable to arrange it in advance, especially so you can avoid the desperation of staying in a hostel/hotel with the money running out whilst you're trying to find a place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jdubbs101

Hello
    I am also here because I am planning to head to Whistler for the 2010/2011 season. Im frightned because i just graduated and only 18 but itll be a good experience. but im sure you guys are more scared going from another country. im only a 2 hour ferry and 2 hour drive away from whistler on vancouver island. i think the working with intrawest is the best choice, what do you guys think?

No I haven't Snow Monkey

Would like to do it sometime and often talked about it season 08/09 and the one just passed. Been told by folk that it is more of a traverse than downhill snowboarding.
    Like the snowhole bivvy part. Takes two days witht he second night spent in a hut.
    Did you do it when you were out?
    I would like to go up to some of the huts in the Duffy and use that as a base for a 3 or 4 day excusion.
    Gavan did something like that. You gotta bring all your own food and fuel up there with you so its heavy going. He made a shed load of homemade high protein and energy mix granola bars that he could munch on while trudging along.

When were you out Snow Monkey? Good advice on the condoms. Whistler is the STD/STI capital of North America, Banff a close second.

havent doen any season in swhisler yet tho i may i dunno, im waiting to go back to collage.. :D

Tho i will say a friend of mind did and loved it ...

Ive only ever done seasons in france namely sere che simply because even afetr 2 seasons there still plenty of free ride left and the important, part 30 minites from la grave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

After reading all these posts I'm sold, Whistler sounds amazing and I've decided I'm going to head out for the 2010/11 season too. Been trying to decide what to do for a while now, was looking into getting a proper job overseas but skiing by day and waitressing for $300 a night sounds way better!

Just a few questions, I'm going to apply for my visa tomorrow, is it straight forward enough to get one? What is the age range of people doing ski season in Whistler and are there loads of 'gap yah' students out tha? Also I'm more than likely heading out there on my own so anyone looking to team up for accomm etc please get in touch!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Hi just reading this thread here. I have my visa sorted for Canada but won't be going til early january, can't go any sooner. Even though the resort jobs and accom will be gone by then i am still seriously thinking about heading to whistler or another resort in BC first for a few months before I start looking for work in Vancouver.

Has anyone any experience of heading over there that late and still finding work to keep themselves tipping over? Even part time.

I am preparing for outcome of not working and paying for passes myself by saving like mad at the moment but i'd like to avoid that. Don't wanna be caught working too much and not have time on the slopes either though.

"Has anyone any experience of heading over there that late and still finding work to keep themselves tipping over? Even part time. "

One thing that might work in your favour is a ton of Aussies leave town in January as their school "summer" holidays end then and they have to go back to Uni. Also the season pass this year is expensive so that might put some people off coming for 2010/2011.

Accom wise....things are going to flip in renters favour for the first time ever in Whistler....Reason being is a load of Whistler housing association apartments have opened up for families and locals to buy...moving them all out of rented accom at once...leaving a massive gap in the rented housing market. You might just be in luck. :)

I arrived in Jan 2009. Although I didn't have a work visa at the time and wasn't looking for work. You won't really know what the lye of the land is until the new year. Keep an eye on Craigslist.ca piquenewsmagazine.com and whistlerquestion.com. Do not ever hand over money to secure a property out here when you haven't seen the property personally and checked everything out. Too many scammers. Even scammers showing homes and running off with ten different peoples deposits. I've moved house 7 times since I came here and 6 of the landlords have been messers with returning deposits. Check whistler housing authority website to check out your rights.

Do not ever hand over money to secure a property out here when you haven't seen the property personally and checked everything out. Too many scammers.

Hi,

Im just wondering about what you said above there.. Myself and a few friends from Dublin are looking for a house to rent, and we were told by a few people that its best to organise it before we get there. We are a bit hesitant to pay a deposit without having seen a house, but just felt like it was a risk we had to take.. however if you're saying not to do it and you have experience of it, we probably should avoid it!

Do you have any suggestions of what we should do to secure a house before we get there? Or do you think it would be better to wait til we get there to look for something? We just dont want to waste too much money staying in hostels while looking for accommodation. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rideonwhistler

Hi Sexy mom,

Have a look at our guide on Whistler season accommodation

I agree with Tim sending money for deposits by bank transfer or western union is very risky! Unfortunately Whistler has been plagued by housing scams in the last few years.

Also have a look at our accomm page. We will do discounts for groups if there are a few of you...

Hope that helps

@ Ride on Whistler,

Thanks for the reply!

There is actually 8 of us going. Do you work for this website? I had a look and left a message so hopefully someone will get back to me with a little more info soon! I did notice it said that accommodation doesnt start til November 7th, we're going on October 19th which may be a problem..! Do you know if they have houses to rent or is it all shared accommodation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SurferchickDL

I'm heading to Whistler for the season at the end of October. I've been looking into different accommodation options and think I'm going to go with a company like Seasonaires or Seasonit for the first month just to get myself set up out there and then go on the hunt for something a little cheaper. It is more expensive for the first month but I figure at least 'll have a bit of security when I get there and it's a good way to meet people before I get myself set up with a job. A lot of these season accommodation companies seem to discourage working while out there, anyone know why this is? Obviously it means less time on the slopes but I figure a few shifts in a bar/restaurant at night will tie me over nicely without interfering with slope time too much and it's a good way to get to know more people. What is everyone else doing re work, accommodation etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

lbj666 wrote: »
    Hi just reading this thread here. I have my visa sorted for Canada but won't be going til early january, can't go any sooner. Even though the resort jobs and accom will be gone by then i am still seriously thinking about heading to whistler or another resort in BC first for a few months before I start looking for work in Vancouver.

Has anyone any experience of heading over there that late and still finding work to keep themselves tipping over? Even part time.

I am preparing for outcome of not working and paying for passes myself by saving like mad at the moment but i'd like to avoid that. Don't wanna be caught working too much and not have time on the slopes either though.

I went out at New Year's and only started looking for a job in mid or late January. I already had accommodation sorted and was paying rent from October or so to secure a bed.

The trick was that I was applying to work as a ski instructor and it seems to be the one position they can't seem to fill at the start of the season. Otherwise, I would try to sort something out in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

jimdev wrote: »
    I went out at New Year's and only started looking for a job in mid or late January. I already had accommodation sorted and was paying rent from October or so to secure a bed.

The trick was that I was applying to work as a ski instructor and it seems to be the one position they can't seem to fill at the start of the season. Otherwise, I would try to sort something out in advance

Did that not just end up rediculously expensive having to rent from october. Do you don't mind me asking how much it was. Ski instructor is out for me as i am pretty much a noob. What are the living costs if i don't get a resort job?

I'm heading to Whistler for the season at the end of October. I've been looking into different accommodation options and think I'm going to go with a company like Seasonaires or Seasonit for the first month just to get myself set up out there and then go on the hunt for something a little cheaper. It is more expensive for the first month but I figure at least 'll have a bit of security when I get there and it's a good way to meet people before I get myself set up with a job. A lot of these season accommodation companies seem to discourage working while out there, anyone know why this is? Obviously it means less time on the slopes but I figure a few shifts in a bar/restaurant at night will tie me over nicely without interfering with slope time too much and it's a good way to get to know more people. What is everyone else doing re work, accommodation etc?

Hey SurferChick

We totally recommend finding work if you are open to that option - there's the obvious financial benefit, but also by far the best way to meet people. If you don't work, you have to make more of an effort to get a social life, unless you are lucky and end up living with people you love!

We have an offer right now so that you can secure just you're first months accommodation (from Nov 7th to Nov 30th) in Whistler whilst you hunt for somewhere else to stay.
    If you have any Whistler questions let me know!

Hey SurferChick

We totally recommend finding work if you are open to that option - there's the obvious financial benefit, but also by far the best way to meet people. If you don't work, you have to make more of an effort to get a social life, unless you are lucky and end up living with people you love!

We have an offer right now so that you can secure just you're first months accommodation (from Nov 7th to Nov 30th) in Whistler whilst you hunt for somewhere else to stay.
    If you have any Whistler questions let me know!

Hey there, what is the offer you have? I clicked through and couldn't see any special offers? From what I do see your prices aren't very competitive and I have received much better offers from you competitors... if availabe I would love to hear more about any specials you have for November?

thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Reney,

We have a few spaces for the month of November/December which are charged out on a monthly basis - so to stay in our Brio house would cost CA$1,400 for the month (less than our main competitor prices so far as I can tell, also less than staying in the HI Hostel!).

You get all the perks of staying in a Ride On Whistler house - no bills to worry about, weekly cleaning, bed linen provided (which you can't buy affordably in town), excellent location to start from, wireless internet & phone for job/house hunting, etc.

You also get our support - we are there to advise you on anything that stumps you (e.g. buying the right gear, setting up your banking, job hunting, SINs) and you get to attend our orientation sessions.

You certainly can find cheaper rent, but staying with a company like ours takes away the hassle & risk!

If you have any other questions about Whistler, even if you don't intend to stay with us, just let me know - I am happy to help out!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mike Tyson

I'm just back in Dublin after a full year in Whis. Happy to help if anyone has any questions,

To sum it up, serious craic, best of times, proper expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 stick_figure

Mike Tyson wrote: »
    I'm just back in Dublin after a full year in Whis. Happy to help if anyone has any questions,

To sum it up, serious craic, best of times, proper expensive

I have questions if the offer still stands :D I've never done a season so my apologies if any of these questions seem silly!
    1. Is my best bet to wait til I get to Vancouver and buy all my ski clothes there? I'm guessing that Whistler itself would be a lot pricier?
    2. Same question for equipment -or do people rent for full seasons?
    3. Exactly what kind of ski gear do you need - is it balaclava and serious thermals kind of cold?
    4. I'll be living in the village for the season and was thinking about buying a car for while I'm there - unnecessary? Can you rent a car easily? I'm thinking of practical things like needing to buy a desk (husband will be working from our place while we're there) and getting to the supermarket!
    5. If you drove, is it really awful driving in the conditions out there, or do they have the roads plowed etc?

Hi Reney,

We have a few spaces for the month of November/December which are charged out on a monthly basis - so to stay in our Brio house would cost CA$1,400 for the month (less than our main competitor prices so far as I can tell, also less than staying in the HI Hostel!).

You get all the perks of staying in a Ride On Whistler house - no bills to worry about, weekly cleaning, bed linen provided (which you can't buy affordably in town), excellent location to start from, wireless internet & phone for job/house hunting, etc.

You also get our support - we are there to advise you on anything that stumps you (e.g. buying the right gear, setting up your banking, job hunting, SINs) and you get to attend our orientation sessions.

You certainly can find cheaper rent, but staying with a company like ours takes away the hassle & risk!

If you have any other questions about Whistler, even if you don't intend to stay with us, just let me know - I am happy to help out!

Thanks, appreciate that. I'm staying with Seasonit for Nov for $800 CAD, it's a special they offered me for the first month, will most likely move somewhere for similar rent after or cheaper if I can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mike Tyson

I have questions if the offer still stands :D I've never done a season so my apologies if any of these questions seem silly!
    1. Is my best bet to wait til I get to Vancouver and buy all my ski clothes there? I'm guessing that Whistler itself would be a lot pricier?
    2. Same question for equipment -or do people rent for full seasons?
    3. Exactly what kind of ski gear do you need - is it balaclava and serious thermals kind of cold?
    4. I'll be living in the village for the season and was thinking about buying a car for while I'm there - unnecessary? Can you rent a car easily? I'm thinking of practical things like needing to buy a desk (husband will be working from our place while we're there) and getting to the supermarket!
    5. If you drove, is it really awful driving in the conditions out there, or do they have the roads plowed etc?

Not sure the whole replying to quotes system so I'll just type away. I treated the year as a year long holiday so was coming at it from a slightly different angle. I worked full time from start to finish but that didn't stop me spending more than I earned.

Whistler is defo pricey for gear; if you have a job with the mountain you'll get 25% discount on stuff bought in their shops, which helps. If you know what you want to buy then order from the internet. Buying full price in Whistler would rinse you pretty quick.

Again would rinse you renting, rental prices are pretty nuts. Again discount if working for the mountain (Whistler Blackcomb, the company). You will buy your own gear; good deals on 2nd hand stuff around, craigslist etc. Depends on how much of a gear head you are, I started off with a free board I got from a mate and upgraded throughout the season as I got better.

The conditions vary, I wore thermals and jacket/trousers all year, added a wool jumper when things got a bit colder. If it's proper snowstorm I didn't bother go up usually, was there long enough to not need to. Good gloves and liners are key. It was never mental cold but yeah, gets chilly, was never really a problem.

Car could be handy alright but I didn't ever feel the need for one really. If you're living in the village then pretty much definitely not. I had one for a while and never used it so left it down in Van. Depends where your living, the village is all central so no big need. Easy to rent a car if you need to spin down to Van for a few nights or whatever. Car would be a lot more useful for the summer months.

The roads are ploughed etc. and are pretty much always drivable (taxis are always running). Although I'd imagine can be pretty hairy at night if you don't have experience and it's dumping down.

Hope some of that helps. I was mainly there for the session so could be different if you're there for serious/longer term but it all stands.

Anyone heading over gap year styles get onto me and I'll help point you in the right directions. I went over solo with no job/no accomodation and it all worked out, never mind any horror stories. Can defo give a few pointers and clear anything up to make it easier for people going over for first time.

Best of luck to everyone, serious season coming up, you'll all love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 surferdude1

Hi, It seems that i have left it a bit late to organize everything compered to you guys, It's just that I wasn't really planning on doing a board season this year but i have just had enough of working full time and need to get away. So I was just wondering if you had all sorted houses out and if any1 had any rooms for rent? I have read through the thread and i will check out all the links you have provided just thought i would give it a go on here as well. thanks

Advertisement