Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland

Options
  • 07-04-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting a Newfoundland. Has anyone any tips or advice about there health, how much space they need, food etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

There are several health problems associated with Newfoundlands. Newfoundlands are prone to hip dysplasia (a malformed ball and socket in the hip joint). They also get Elbow dysplasia, and cystinuria (a hereditary defect that forms calculi stones in the bladder). Another genetic problem is subvalvular aortic stenosis. This is a common heart defect in Newfoundlands involving defective heart valves. SAS can cause sudden death at an early age.

From Wikipidia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Adamcoat.jpg

thats after a grooming session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

TechnoPool wrote: »

that would be after the "Furminator" which is an advert for the grooming tool, if you look up there website the can get that much of most dogs

when our pups first arrived we thought the dad might have been a Newfie so did a little research, they are water rescue dogs, used to go on the fishing boats in Canada and if anyone fell in the sea the dog would go in and rescue them, they are a giant breed so food could be pretty expensive and you'd have to ensure they where trained correctly otherwise walking it would be very difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paulbond

they are the greatest dog you can get mine is now 4 had her since a puppy they are loyal friendly with all children and other animals and have no meanace in them at all read the lord byron poem he sums the breed up better than i ever could if you need any practical advice please just ask they are messy big and lazy but that dosent matter once a merc always a merc best wishes and good luck paul and let me know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If you get one then you ask the breeders have the dogs been tested for hip and elbow dysplasia, if they're prone to it, and they should have proof from the vet if their dogs are negative for it.

I'd imagine they need lots of space and food and grooming, but don't really know anything about them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I always find this website useful

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/newfoundland.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

one thing i found out is that they where thought to have been brought over by the vikings to canada, and that one of the original males was called "Ollum" which is icelandic for "Grew" - and also Bully's nickname

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

They are huge, nice temperant on any I have met. Tend to slobber too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

My cousin had one in Canada growing up, great family dog, theres loads of pictures of her as a toddler riding around on his back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

a family member had 1 yrs ago, found that his coat used to leave a oily coat everywhere he touched. they used to get him profesionally groomed every couple of months. also he loved water and would have 2 roll in every puddle he found.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

Thanks for the advice guys its full steam ahead hunting for a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Met one once; a gentle giant, and the only critter to put our wee dog's nose out of joint just by the size.

It stopped her in mid-bark.
    ;)

I am left with the impression that they are not dogs but bears.

Advertisement