Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Disconnect At Same time each night

• 07-04-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Been having horrible problems with my Eircom broadband disconnecting sporadically for months at this stage with no fix from Eircom support.... So I've been taking a log of every disconnect for the last few days and noticed something odd....

It has disconnected at 21:05 for the last three nights....

Anyone any idea why this might be happening? Am on the verge of switching provider at this stage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,200 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Happened to me at that time tonight too. Strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Doomofman

You on the Dublin exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,200 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yup!

Hopefully others will post if it happened to them tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

This happens me every night at 1.11 am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

does it disconnect and come back on or just stay off?

Comes back on a minute or so later... usually...

Might just be a new IP being given by DHCP on eircoms exchange. I think they operate on a 24 hour lease but not 100% sure.

Just make a note of your IP here http://www.whatsmyip.org/ during the day and check it again after, seems like the most likely explanation, especially if its happening at the exact times you state.

The last 3 days it has.... But before that the net was disconnecting maybe 10 times a day...

The router log lists the possible fault as Severely Errored Frame... Whatever that means

oh, well thats different.

Type

192.168.1.254 into your web browser then hit expert mode and click statistics->DSL and post what you see there here.

Should look like this

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) * *
    SN Margin (dB) * *
    Line Attenuation (dB) * *
    CRC Errors * *

• Advertisement

I'm on a ZyXel modem... Where will I find those stats? Nevermind

eircom Broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 34 dB /18 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /18 dB

Your noise margin downstream is pretty low but not incredibly bad, the rest of the stats seem fine.

I assume you have line filters etc all set up correctly in your house for phones etc?

Do you have devices other than the router plugged into sockets?

Well the filters are set up as the modem documentation described... This has been happening for 2 different modems... The old netopia and the ZyXel I got when I upgraded....

As for other devices? Just phones and internet here... No Sky or anything like that

When you have time tomorrow unplug everything from all sockets in the house and only plug the router directly into the master phone socket , and get the statistics which you posted above again.

Ill check this thread tomorrow, really g2g now work at 7.

Looks like the 21:05 drop out is caused by the IP address renewal... Anyway to move that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

If it's a 24 hour lease, then you could try powering down your router at 9:04 (or before) and power it back up at around the time when you don't care about the disconnect.

Brian

Doomofman wrote: »
    Looks like the 21:05 drop out is caused by the IP address renewal... Anyway to move that?

Nope, its done on Eircoms side and its automated. If its only disconnects for a minute each night im not sure what the big deal is?

Advertisement