Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Time Posting..Opinions/c&c please..

• 07-04-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

After nearly 2 years of "Melekalikimaka" trying to get me to join boards, here I am and have been told not to be scared haha
    So here's my own first post!:)

I'm doing a project on Modern Fairtytales and how they aren't so Happy-Ever-After..
    I've three different shots and I cant choose which one I want to use for Sleeping Beauty(kinda the morning after the night before) and from what I've heard you lovely lovely people have great opinions and give good c&c..!
    thank you in advance!
    4500295001_4732e2a3e6.jpg

4500148823_1c8b840bfa.jpg

4500567122_a6af3bdffc.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

prefere the firtst one, looks more natural!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Yeah first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Nice difference to what we usually see, cool idea, I'm sure it would be a nice fairytale for many of the men around here, eh boys? I'd like to see them in black and white to be honest, they strike me as those sort of pictures, mind I am on a black and white buzz lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

TBh I don't think they work if anything they're just turning me on. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cantaloupe

Nice difference to what we usually see, cool idea, I'm sure it would be a nice fairytale for many of the men around here, eh boys? I'd like to see them in black and white to be honest, they strike me as those sort of pictures, mind I am on a black and white buzz lately.

just for you:)

4501219816_faa8fe472b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The locker to the right is very distracting too, I woulda shot more wide open, although I know from that angle you would've had to focus on the face some more if you had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The bedside locker is distracting I think. If you want people to focus purely on Sleeping Beauty I think the second one works best, especially if this is your starting image for the piece.

actually now that you say it, that bedside locker has no point in being in the picture whatsoever, thaaaaank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Cantaloupe wrote: »

I'm doing a project on Modern Fairtytales and how they aren't so Happy-Ever-After..
    Cantaloupe wrote: »
    actually now that you say it, that bedside locker has no point in being in the picture whatsoever, thaaaaank you very much!

If you can reshoot try adding a bottle of spilt "sleeping pills" on the locker or beside her on the bed to tell more of the not so happy story. As your taking the side lighting from the locker lamp you could leave it in and shoot open as already said.

I like the second shot best, either with the selected WB of the first or the B&W convert too should work well.

Nice work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

as sowing machine in bg would be lovely. i like the wider tbh, colour, with the flur colour cast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I agree with the other posters, the side table is a tad distracting, but I LOVE the b&w...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I think the first shot is miles better than the other two, it also look super in B&W. If you took out the locker, you're onto a winner!!!

Welcome to boards by the by :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I'm with AR on this one. They don't work. Nothing in the image says Sleeping Beauty, more like Peeping Tom. The camera angle is wrong for the girl, at the moment it's got an up-skirt view. Totally takes the attention away from the meaning of the shot. Your composition needs to combine more relevant elements to make the scene work. At the moment the images say almost semi-naked girl lying on the bed. That's fine if your me or AR but not for most of your intended viewers. :)

The locker grabs too much attention and has nothing to do with telling the story. It pulls your eye out of the image. Put some pills on it and it serves a purpose and tells a different story. The bed and bed covers need to look better than this. The covers are too big and heavy, use something lighter less intrusive, a bit more elegant.

You have to think composition. What makes good composition? Color, contrast, shape & form. Find at least three elements that would help make the scene work and remove anything that dosn't play a part in telling the story.

Thats my bit. The rest is just a rant. You can read it if you like. ;)
    If you could re shoot, just off the top of my head, why not include a window with the morning sunshine beaming through it highlighting the girls face. Her arm could be outstretched over the side of the bed leading the viewers eye to a dropped beer bottle which has spilled over the floor and reflects her face back to the viewer. :)

I don't know, it's your thing. Just remember, you must become highly analytical and technical with your thoughts before you can get creative with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I like the second one, it's much better lit. I think that might look better again in B&W

I can't press thanks cause i haven't writen 25 posts yet.. but thank you oshead, some pretty good advice, and I can reshoot so I'll take it on board..
    As regards colour..I love the B&W myself but trying to steer away from it a bit cause it's usually what I go for..
    thanks guys:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I like the second one, it's much better lit. I think that might look better again in B&W

a fairy tale themed shoot in black and white??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Agree with oshead. There need to be evidance of not so happy ever after wheather that be half empty bottle of Vodka or evidance of pills/drugs. Also the angle does not show enough of the models face/head/tossed hair for me. Dont know if it would work but if you shot towards the locker including more of the model's head and shoulders with the Pills or empty bottle and glass on the locker........

Well done on your first post and good luck with project

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I like the bed side locker. The rest is fine but I don't think it engages with the assignment.

A rethink on the shoot perhaps to connect more with the given assignment. But as a pic on its own without context?...it's grand but it's the bedside locker that brings it above average.

Advertisement