Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best iPhone radio app

• 07-04-2010 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I've downloaded a few a have to say RTE have put great work into their apps. 2fm's one is great. Just noticed 98's app has a built in alarm... Very handy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WunderRadio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

+1 for WunderRadio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

fStream is excellent. And if you jailbreak your phone you can install the backgrounder app and run your radio app in the background ;-)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Another vote for WunderRadio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I take it back.. 98 app not working. Must try some of the above mentioned apps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Just out of curiosity. Do you prefer having a 'portal app' like Wunder radio or Grab Radio as opposed to having an station specific app? Does finding a station on, say, wunder radio lead to you downloading an app specific to that station? Would that app have to have additional content or features?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

RTE apps :) wunder radio or shoutcast app

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

BrianD wrote: »
    Does finding a station on, say, wunder radio lead to you downloading an app specific to that station? Would that app have to have additional content or features?
    Apps for just one station (such as the ones for RTE, 2FM, etc) seem like a waste to me. I bought WunderRadio so I wouldn't need any of them.

FM radio will probably be in the next iPhone update anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Should be interesting to see what the listener and industry reaction to apps will be then. The main motivation for broadcasters to get into app land was that the iPhone was the first very mainstream phone in recent times not to have an FM radio onboard. Plus it's a new "gizmo" that gives us all something to talk about.

From the listener there is a desire to listen to their favourite stations on their iphone and have additional content such as now playing. However, since there is a cost for listening (data streaming) and that the now playing can be transmitted via RDS it will be interesting to see how listeners app usage will change. Apple have an API that allows RDS embedded information to be used to buy the tracks that are bring broadcast.

Assuming that Apple do include FM receivers on their iPhones and by their recent statements it seems likely. Ultimately have FM radio will sell more tunes for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭vinnielo

WunderRadio, because it has up-to-date links from www.radiofeeds.co.uk built in! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

+1 for WunderRadio even though its 5 euro its the best radio app for the iphone you can get any station anywhere.Why buy an internet radio when you can get this brillant app.
    Cant find any faults with it only that you cant listen in background but it does have its own web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Background listening is possible with some (mp3 based) streams afaik on Wunder-radio. With the 4.0 OS release for iPhone (3gs) and iPod touch 3rd gen you will be able to stream any station in the background (coming out in June this year).

--ifc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Or you could just jailbreak your iphone/ipod and install 'backgrounder' from the Cydia store, all for freeeeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 GaryORLFC

WonderRadio by far.

I have all my favourite Irish Radio Stations on it. It can also play in the background of applications if you chose to stream it over the Internet, which is an option to do in WonderRadio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I use the Phantom app for Phantom, and Fstream for listening to BBC Radio 4.

Being able to listen to the FM stream of Radio 4 is a big plus for me - no more missing stuff because the cricket is on longwave!

(not to mention that since someone broke off my aerial recently, I can'teven listen to the MW/LW anyway)

I'm finding it's using about 1Mb of download per two minutes, so I can listen to a decent amount of stuff and stay well within my monthly 2Gb bundle.

Steve Conway
    http://steveconway.wordpress.com

Advertisement