Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen sink tap leak

• 07-04-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm looking for an idea how to fix a leak i discovered under the hot tap of kitchen sink. I have narrowed it down to above where the flexi pipe connects into the hot tap fitting.

Is it possible to tighten the fitting without removing the taps? What size wrench spanner is needed ?

If I have to remove the taps ,how do they dismantle? Can they be taken out from abouve by unscrewing the philips head screw in the middle of the hot tap ?

...the taps are bog standard type job , I will propbably get a new set if I have to remove the old set.

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Probably a half inch spanner on the flexi. The thing is not to twist the flexi, which could piece the inner sleeve. You shouldn't have to remove the tap at all. A photo might help give some better advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is all guess work because your not giving a full description so if I am wrong I apologise....

First. On the leak. I am guessing this is at the end of the copper stem where it meets the threaded pce into the tap. This should not leak so either it was always leaking or has been damaged recently by movement of some sorts. If this is not the case then its quite possible that the threads have just come loose. If this is the case then just re tighten them. If its not the threads it is the solder connection and quite honestly unless your very good with a solder iron you will not fix this...Infact I would not try it as the damage out weights the possible gains.

Secondly to remove the tap. Mono taps are connect under the sink. Usually a half moon of sorts with a screw going up through the centre. To remove the tap remove the screw.... Simple. However obv you will need to disconnect the tap from the plumbing....

When buying a new tap, If you live in an apt or a pressurised house you can buy any tap.I am sure there is some you cant but I am unaware of them...However if you live in a gravity feed house with mains pressure then you need to buy a low pressure taps. Now if someone says to you this does not exist..... Stay away from them.... Yes cold is high pressure mains but the hot is low pressure gravity and this is why a lidl tap can always be spotted in a house.... The hot tap is shoite...

Now the reason i dont reckon its dual flow or two seperate connections is most of them have a double connection underneath the sink 1/2" wide and if this is leaking then its most likely it was fitted incorrectly in the first place and you most likely would have mentioned this.... If this is the case You just need to make sure that you had fitted 2 no 312 fittings and sealed them correctly with thread lock or PTFE.. I forget now but dont think you can use boss white and hemp at a drinking water source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

hi there, chances are that the washer in the top of the flexi hose which joins against the tap is split or damaged, possibly because of over tightening or maybe in some flexi hoses they are fibre washers not the rubber type,

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Hi all,

i had the sink out last year as i had to replace the kitchen counter as it had rotted due to wear and tear of washing up etc.

since replacing the sink there was a slight leak which i managed to replace the sink hole black plastic part to fix.

now i noticed still a slight leak coming from under the hot tap. first it seemed leak was from flexi joint , i tightened this a little more (1/2 inch copper fitting i think).

when i feel with my finger the area above the copper fitting is damp/wet. i can feel a steel thread with what seems like wet plumbing tape - this is where i reckon the leak is.

i have tightened the screw in the middle of the tap as it wasn't tight enough.

as i cant really get my head under to see the fittings , i'm not sure how to tackle tightening the fitting or what.

there is no special requirment for low/high pressure as i'm aware of.

blueyedson wrote: »
    Hi all,

i had the sink out last year as i had to replace the kitchen counter as it had rotted due to wear and tear of washing up etc.

since replacing the sink there was a slight leak which i managed to replace the sink hole black plastic part to fix.

now i noticed still a slight leak coming from under the hot tap. first it seemed leak was from flexi joint , i tightened this a little more (1/2 inch copper fitting i think).

when i feel with my finger the area above the copper fitting is damp/wet. i can feel a steel thread with what seems like wet plumbing tape - this is where i reckon the leak is.

i have tightened the screw in the middle of the tap as it wasn't tight enough.

as i cant really get my head under to see the fittings , i'm not sure how to tackle tightening the fitting or what.

there is no special requirment for low/high pressure as i'm aware of.

Yes i am convinced that you need to take the tap and sink back off. What some plumbers do is fit the tap to the sink and fitt about 6 inches of copper, You will need to use the 312's then use a 310 or straight connector just connect it all back together lower down in the press,

If your not confident get a plumber as a leak although slow will rot the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    Try using a small mirror to get a better view of the under side of the tap, this will help you see what the problem is.

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yes i am convinced that you need to take the tap and sink back off. What some plumbers do is fit the tap to the sink and fitt about 6 inches of copper, You will need to use the 312's then use a 310 or straight connector just connect it all back together lower down in the press,

If your not confident get a plumber as a leak although slow will rot the press.

Sounding dense here, but what do you mean by 312's and 310's?

Sounding dense here, but what do you mean by 312's and 310's?

Your not dense at all. a 312 is a plumbing fitting that fits onto the bottom of the tap. Its designed with a "seat" to allow the tap sit against it when tightened. It aids in the seal

a 310 is a straight joiner for all purposes with 2 nuts and 2 olives..

Advertisement