Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol going up at Midnight?

• 07-04-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭

My friend rang to say its going up at midnight, is it? How much does anyone know....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

mad m wrote: »
    My friend rang to say its going up at midnight, is it? How much does anyone know....
    was told it be going up by 3cent . why is it so bloody dear. think its time to get the ass/ donkey and cart out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

3c diesel
    1c petrol

according to RTE news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Cleopatra_Rebel

RIP OFF REPUBLIC!!! it's going to continue to rise! and fuel always goes up for the summer...so i don't think it will come down anytime soon! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Euro diving against the dollar and global recovery causing it to rise, expect €1.50 a litre in December 2010. Over 2/3's of the price is taken up with taxation, given that we are finished expect this to rise further, horse and cart is the future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

It's gone up about $0.35 per gallon over the past two months in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Cleopatra_Rebel

Euro diving against the dollar and global recovery causing it to rise, expect €1.50 a litre in December 2010.
    yeah i think it is inevitable! soon enough it will be €2/litre!:eek:......bring on the biofuel already!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

3c diesel
    1c petrol

according to RTE news.

Link or GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Is this a government tax or normal price changes?
    Sure the price changes 2 or 3 times a week. It all depends when the garages get their petrol and diesel, so any decent garages should only go up later in the week when they get a new fill for their tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Why is it when fuel goes up people always say its because the euro is strong/weak against the dollar interchangeably?

Doesn't seem to matter what the currency rates are it just always goes up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Govt only change their cut at budget time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Wholesale pricing for UNL is increasing by .98 of a cent and DERV by 2.38c at midnight, there is also vat to be applied to the increase.

the recent fuel increases in UNL are (apparently) mostly to do with a sharp increase in the cost of the additives put into the fuel.

Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Mc Love wrote: »
    Link or GTFO

No link I'm afraid. It was on the RTE 9 O'Clock news. Can't see anything on RTE player just yet.

No link I'm afraid. It was on the RTE 9 O'Clock news. Can't see anything on RTE player just yet.

I can confirm this as 100% correct, in fact its more than the OP suggested, see my post above

it won't really start to go up until late tomorrow/friday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I imagine the Garages will be full of cars before Midnight......Jaysus are they mad for a 1c increase....

Gets coat and car keys....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 philiphowlin

Blame the "greens" with their carbon tax which is tax on tax to pay for NAMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I don't get why the price of petrol and diesel is increasing so much? :confused:

Even without the increases in duty, surely it does not make sence considering Oil was c150 dollars a barrel a good while back. Even during that period I never seen fuel priced any more than 1.30 a litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why the f**k is diesel going up so much for?!

stepbar wrote: »
    I don't get why the price of petrol and diesel is increasing so much? :confused:

Even without the increases in duty, surely it does not make sence considering Oil was c150 dollars a barrel a good while back. Even during that period I never seen fuel priced any more than 1.30 a litre.

well all I can speak for is the forecourt business, we are operating off lower margins than we EVER have.

These increases are the last thing we need as they will see people reducing their travels etc.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Why the f**k is diesel going up so much for?!

apparently....

Derv and Home Heating Oil are made from a lot of from the same base products, as a result of the shocking weather and the fact that people were buying Heating Oil up until last week the demand on the base products has created a market where prices are higher for the products, hence the continued increase in Derv pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Blame the "greens" with their carbon tax which is tax on tax to pay for NAMA
    Hammertime wrote: »
    the recent fuel increases in UNL are (apparently) mostly to do with a sharp increase in the cost of the additives put into the fuel.

Apparently.
    :rolleyes:

I'm still shocked as I was passing through Ballinalack last week (on N4 between Edgeworthtown and Mullingar), Petrol 1.39c :eek:

Now this is petrol station with a Mace and a Supermac on site with a very good passing trade. I think they're being greedy :mad:

I'm still shocked as I was passing through Ballinalack last week (on N4 between Edgeworthtown and Mullingar), Petrol 1.39c :eek:

Now this is petrol station with a Mace and a Supermac on site with a very good passing trade. I think they're being greedy :mad:

bloody hell thats a bit special, I'm 11 cents cheaper than that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What price was the one 200m down on the other side of the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Ugh, my wallet...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

It's a disgrace. The government doesn't care. They love to kick you when you're down.

Can we not see? We're owned by the oil companies. THEY decide what we pay. THEY strangle the supply to push the price up.

I've changed my driving habits dramatically of late & I'm getting 100+ miles extra per tank!!!!!!!!

I drive a 00 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi. I filled it in Cashel two weeks ago @ 113.9c per liter. I just threw €10 in today on the Quays in Dublin after doing 728 miles on that tank which included a trip to Cork & back!!!

I'm more than happy. I reckon we should all drive around like a$$holes. 20kph in 30kph zone, 60kph in 80kph zone, etc etc.... slow the whole place down. Drive like there's snow on the road & bring he country to a halt. I'm sure that would go down well :D

barochoc wrote: »
    I'm more than happy.

Then why the rant?

:confused:

barochoc wrote: »
    Can we not see? We're owned by the oil companies. THEY decide what we pay. THEY strangle the supply to push the price up.

Owned by the Oil companies ?

lol, you are aware that for a litre of fuel costing €1.30 that the government are taking 80 cents out of it and the Oil company AND the retailer make about 10 cents BETWEEN them?

I fail to see how that puts the Oil company into a position where they can own us?

• Advertisement

bloody hell thats a bit special, I'm 11 cents cheaper than that !

From a distance it looked 1.29 but nope 1.39c. There are two petrol stations in the village and it is always the dearer. But it's better petrol (Texaco) supposedly....

Owned by the Oil companies ?

lol, you are aware that for a litre of fuel costing €1.30 that the government are taking 80 cents out of it and the Oil company AND the retailer make about 10 cents BETWEEN them?

I fail to see how that puts the Oil company into a position where they can own us?

You mean the distributor? (which in some cases are one and the same thing) I highly doubt the likes of Texaco are making cents on a litre of petrol.

From a distance it looked 1.29 but nope 1.39c. There are two petrol stations in the village and it is always the dearer. But it's better petrol (Texaco) supposedly....

Better Petrol..... :rolleyes:

the biggest myth in the oil business...

"Maxol Clean Fuel"

"with Techron"

etc etc

It's all utter utter tripe.

You mean the distributor? (which in some cases are one and the same thing) I highly doubt the likes of Texaco are making cents on a litre of petrol.

why do you highly doubt it?

if Texaco Ireland are making 8 cent on each litre of fuel sold they would be an VERY successful operation.

Fuel is all about tiny margins and huge volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

Better Petrol..... :rolleyes:

the biggest myth in the oil business...

"Maxol Clean Fuel"

"with Techron"

etc etc

It's all utter utter tripe.

Would agree with ya except for the Maxol one, their fuel is 99 Ron (E5 only) so its much better for my Jap import. Topaz fuel has ethanol added but a recent email from them states that their fuel is 95 Ron.

What i dont get is, for those of us that use the 5% ethanol fuel, how come there is no tax break on that the greens should be happy as it reduceds co emmissons

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The majority of unleaded fuel sold in this country is E5, its only Maxol who bother branding it as such. I think theirs is sourced from Whitegate, they even say who their ethanol supplier is. Most of the fuel sold here is imported refined, though.

You're allowed sell E5 as being 95 RON unleaded, even though it can vary up to 99.2 depending on the specific refining process. Theres nothing against underselling octane content, but there is against overselling it, so its obvious that you don't go shouting that its 97/98/99 when you've no way of knowing exactly what you're getting off the gantries.

MYOB wrote: »
    The majority of unleaded fuel sold in this country is E5, its only Maxol who bother branding it as such. I think theirs is sourced from Whitegate, they even say who their ethanol supplier is. Most of the fuel sold here is imported refined, though.

You're allowed sell E5 as being 95 RON unleaded, even though it can vary up to 99.2 depending on the specific refining process. Theres nothing against underselling octane content, but there is against overselling it, so its obvious that you don't go shouting that its 97/98/99 when you've no way of knowing exactly what you're getting off the gantries.

Spot on, I've been selling only E5 for about 3 years now, overnight it just became the only option that I could order (Ive no maxol sites)

then a yea later maxol start sellng it "exclusively"

cronin_j wrote: »
    What i dont get is, for those of us that use the 5% ethanol fuel, how come there is no tax break on that the greens should be happy as it reduceds co emmissons
    There is a tax break: There is no excise duty on the 5%.

JHMEG wrote: »
    There is a tax break: There is no excise duty on the 5%.

Why is it just as expensive so as the Texaco fuel and the likes?

Spot on, I've been selling only E5 for about 3 years now, overnight it just became the only option that I could order (Ive no maxol sites)

then a yea later maxol start sellng it "exclusively"

Why didn't/don't you brand/advertise it?

• Advertisement

Because Texaco will also, generally, be selling E5 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...forget the nicey-nicey, time to do a bit of shouting.

Can't claim the credit, but how about:
    The Petrol Party - seeing as the AA ain't worth tuppence......

Let's adopt a 50kph week - everywhere - adopt a slogan .....anyone got a good one, for a bumper/window sticker ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

why do you highly doubt it?

if Texaco Ireland are making 8 cent on each litre of fuel sold they would be an VERY successful operation.

Fuel is all about tiny margins and huge volumes.

Ah, I'm not talking about Texaco Ireland. In the case of Texaco
    (aka Chevron) it makes billions each year (actually 18.56 billion (EBIT) on a T/O of 171.63billion, before depreciation 30.67 billion :eek:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

blond45 wrote: »
    was told it be going up by 3cent . why is it so bloody dear. think its time to get the ass/ donkey and cart out. :D

It would probably be more expensive to feed the ass to pull your cart with you in it..:D

Why didn't/don't you brand/advertise it?

Dunno really, no one cares, it's all about the price with over 99% of the public imho.

I sell shed loads of fuel more than the 2 moxols in my
    area. One of which is a far bigger better fit out new site.

Once my pole sign says 2c cheaper then no ones cares if they are selling petrol that smells of roses and plays opera.

Easier to pocket the (slight) difference.

Once my pole sign says 2c cheaper then no ones cares if they are selling petrol that smells of roses and plays opera.
    Do you set your price to be 2c lower than theirs'?

Dunno really, no one cares, it's all about the price with over 99% of the public imho.

I sell shed loads of fuel more than the 2 moxols in my
    area. One of which is a far bigger better fit out new site.

You own the kind of station that if it's that bit cheaper I'll buy a bottle of coke or a bag of taytos in when I'm inside. If I'm stuck and have to put fuel in an expensive station I always just throw a tenner in and wait till I pass a cheaper on to fill up in. I refuse to give money to some of the rip off merchants about.

Do you set your price to be 2c lower than theirs'?

No to be honest I pay no attention to their pricing at all.

I work off my cost price and decide the margin I need and that's the price I sell I for. If they are cheaper or dearer than me I do not really react, I can't even tell you want they are charging at the minute. I know by the amount of fuel I am selling if my pricing is correct.

I let them worry about me becuase I sure as hell don't waste my time worrying about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I filled up yesterday

Noticed diesel was already 1-2c more expensive than it had been Sunday evening when I drove home

I filled up for 119.9c per litre of diesel

The cheapest diesel I've ever bought (only been driving diesel since May 2008) was 91.9c in Xmas 2008

Most expensive was 139.9c some time in the summer of 2008

• Advertisement
Advertisement