Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol going up at Midnight?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

cronin_j wrote: »
    You own the kind of station that if it's that bit cheaper I'll buy a bottle of coke or a bag of taytos in when I'm inside. If I'm stuck and have to put fuel in an expensive station I always just throw a tenner in and wait till I pass a cheaper on to fill up in. I refuse to give money to some of the rip off merchants about.

Exactly, I make more on a bottle of 500ml coke at €1.49 than I often do on a €75 euro fuel sale

fuel sales are quite irrelevant to me in the scheme of things. The amount of money i make off fuel isn't worth spending time on, the reason is sell fuel is to make you have a requirment to use my shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...forget the nicey-nicey, time to do a bit of shouting.

Can't claim the credit, but how about:
    The Petrol Party - seeing as the AA ain't worth tuppence......

Let's adopt a 50kph week - everywhere - adopt a slogan .....anyone got a good one, for a bumper/window sticker ?

Let's go all out and get "I Love Sean Quinn" bumber stickers too...;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

the problem though the stations that are notoriously more expensive than others will simply keep following the price increases,so they will make more money,there is a garage in douglas (cork) that is at leat 3c maybe 4c cent dearer per litre than any garage nearby but it is always busy:eek:

i refuse to go near it, even a 4pk of red bull is over €7,while in dunnes 5 min walk away the same product is €3.99, but evertime i go past it there are people there filling up! then they will say petrol is to expensive,if you are driving any kind of distance it really pays to shop around,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If it does to €2 a litre then it'll cost me an extra 28euro to fill up..

bad but..nothing to warrant electric cars and the likes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

So if E5 is all thats available to you Hammertime, does that mean every other station sells E5 also? (Topaz, Texico, Applegreen, Esso etc)

I've been paying that bit more for E5 at Maxol, who are usually one of the dearer stations. So there's a high chance that all local sites sell it too unbranded? (Dundalk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...forget the nicey-nicey, time to do a bit of shouting.

Can't claim the credit, but how about:
    The Petrol Party - seeing as the AA ain't worth tuppence......

Let's adopt a 50kph week - everywhere - adopt a slogan .....anyone got a good one, for a bumper/window sticker ?

Will not work, half the country is doing that already for years and see where that brought us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bladebrew wrote: »
    the problem though the stations that are notoriously more expensive than others will simply keep following the price increases,so they will make more money,there is a garage in douglas (cork) that is at leat 3c maybe 4c cent dearer per litre than any garage nearby but it is always busy:eek:

i refuse to go near it, even a 4pk of red bull is over €7,while in dunnes 5 min walk away the same product is €3.99, but evertime i go past it there are people there filling up! then they will say petrol is to expensive,if you are driving any kind of distance it really pays to shop around,

Presumably the Topaz in Douglas? Same here in Midleton, all 4 garages are usually 5c more than garages in the city, when it used to be one of the cheapest towns around. When a cheap little forecourt in the town closed down, all the rest piled in, as it was keeping the rest in line. I try and buy in the city or some of the cheaper places on the road to Dublin, Shannon or Waterford these days.

Anyone find it strange that if you drive through the UK, they never seem to have the prices jumping all over the place? Usually maintain a steady price for weeks, if not months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So if E5 is all thats available to you Hammertime, does that mean every other station sells E5 also? (Topaz, Texico, Applegreen, Esso etc)

I've been paying that bit more for E5 at Maxol, who are usually one of the dearer stations. So there's a high chance that all local sites sell it too unbranded? (Dundalk)

Very, very high chance its E5 up to possibly E7 (the highest you can sell as "95" under EU regs) but no guarantee its going to be 99 octane. You can blend E5 that is only 95 octane to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MYOB wrote: »
    Very, very high chance its E5 up to possibly E7 (the highest you can sell as "95" under EU regs) but no guarantee its going to be 99 octane. You can blend E5 that is only 95 octane to begin with.

This is true, the base petrol the Ethanol is cut with maybe be lower octane. In the US they have E15 all over the place. Its not higher octane, just lower calorific value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Hammertime wrote: »
    Then why the rant?

:confused:

I'm happy about my fuel consumption after I changed my habits. It doesn't mean I'm happy with the fuel prices. It's my post & I rant if I want to, rant if I want to, rant if I want to...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Hammertime wrote: »
    Owned by the Oil companies ?

lol, you are aware that for a litre of fuel costing €1.30 that the government are taking 80 cents out of it and the Oil company AND the retailer make about 10 cents BETWEEN them?

I fail to see how that puts the Oil company into a position where they can own us?

Then you fail to see all that's happening outside your door. WE are owned by oil & pharmaceutical companies. If those two dissapeared tomorrow & the planet would grind to a halt & half of us would drop dead. Argue that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

barochoc wrote: »
    Then you fail to see all that's happening outside your door. WE are owned by oil & pharmaceutical companies. If those two dissapeared tomorrow & the planet would grind to a halt & half of us would drop dead. Argue that!

In other words we rely on them? Just like we rely on hospitals and power stations and other countries rely on nuclear power, etc. Yes? I dont really think the oil companies have that much to do with the price of petrol/diesel in Ireland when well over 50% of the price is tax and we are then taxed upon the tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So did it go up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

It had gone up by 9 o'clock last night when I went in. 2c per litre in my local Topaz. That said, they were 2c a litre cheaper than everywhere else already so they just even out really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

steve06 wrote: »
    So did it go up?

no.

yesterday UNL was 1.32, today 1.29
    D was 1.22, today 1,19

in my local anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Article in today's Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/surviving-the-recession/price-of-petrol-is-set-to-reach-an-alltime-high-2129359.html

Lack of apparent competition in some areas not helping, according to Consumer Association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I pass several stations on the way to work. Most seemed to be same price as yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

but in reality the price of petrol is still very low, how much is tax these days 70-80c per litre?

If the gov were concerned about the increased price they would react by dropping duty but they ain't so its not going to change and makes the whole pricing argument irrelevant for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

but in reality the price of petrol is still very low, how much is tax these days 70-80c per litre?

If the gov were concerned about the increased price they would react by dropping duty but they ain't so its not going to change and makes the whole pricing argument irrelevant for the most part.

Yup, Fuel in Ireland is wicked cheap ...

Fuels gone up here on the continent (Holland) to 1.60 a litre for Petrol and 1.23 a litre for Diesel. 4 - 5 Cents more Expensive for each in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yup, Fuel in Ireland is wicked cheap ...

Fuels gone up here on the continent (Holland) to 1.60 a litre for Petrol and 1.23 a litre for Diesel. 4 - 5 Cents more Expensive for each in Germany.

We're about the middle I think, as it's the opposite in Spain, Slovakia, Latvia etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

JHMEG wrote: »
    Lack of apparent competition in some areas not helping, according to Consumer Association.

The Consumer Association, what a useless shower. They suggest that people always buy the cheapest fuel possible (which is usually from a Tesco) and then whinge about lack of competition when the five local stations that were there before the Tesco shut down :rolleyes:

Although with land values having dropped as much as they have, we might see some more beginning to open soon. During the boom it didn't make sense to use urban land for services but it could well do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Although with land values having dropped as much as they have, we might see some more beginning to open soon. During the boom it didn't make sense to use urban land for services but it could well do now.

Well, the amount of stations that have reopened/been rebuilt in the past year or so on sites that were being left decontanimate for redevelopment is unreal, I can think of 4 off the top of my head (Top on Amiens Street, Applegreen on the N11, Maxol Adamstown, Gulf Ratoath).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Here in Galway, in the last couple of years, there's 2 filling stations that have closed and and now (or nearly) retail/apartment developments

Advertisement