Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.Sc ENERGY

Options
  • 07-04-2010 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

So, currently a fifth year student. Really contemplating doing this course, but, it being a new-ish course and all, I'd really love to get the perspective / opinion of someone who's actually doing the course. All insight very much appreciated. :)

Thank y'all. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Hey, I don't do the Energy course, this is the first year its run, but I do Applied Physics which has many similar modules in 3 of the 4 routes that you can take.

I love the course but I also have what many people call an unnatural interest in physics :P

First year is basically leaving certificate revision, if you have done Maths and Physics in honours level for the leaving cert then first year should be a breeze. Second year is where you earn your degree, the jump in the level expected is massive and some of the maths gets fairly intensive but if you put in the work it is doable. Most of the lecturers are brilliant and very easy to talk to outside of lecture hours. Then there is the science learning centre which is run by a physics postgrad so we tend to get 90% of the support tutorials we ask for.

From what I can see on the course outline unless you take the marketing path then it will be mainly physics. If you enjoy physics then the course will definatly keep you interested and because most of the lecturers you will have been lecturing in applied physics you will get a much better understanding of application than if you did a theoretical course. There is then the advantage of Energy being the hot topic at the moment, there are alot of people hiring in that field and there is a lot of postgraduate opportuinities too.

If you do go for it the best piece of advise I can give you is turn up to everything in second year. I cant give you much insight into what third year will be like as the two courses seem to diverge there but simply guessing by the module names and the lecturers it shouldnt be too difficult, computer coding comes into play that year and although many will find it difficult its very passable with midterms and labs counting for alot.

If you like physics then it should be a good course for you as in reality everything in physics boils down to energy and its quite a vaugue topic, (Thermal Energy, Electric Energy, Electric Energy, Potential Energy, Kinetic Energy, Relativistic Energy, Fusion Energy) so you will get a flavour for most types of physics in probably the most interesting aspect of it.

Advertisement