Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Winners 2010

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Inter Milan
    Its not being pedantic, it really annoys me when Inter is referred to as Inter Milan. The team's name is simply Inter. In Italy Inter is always referred to as Inter and AC Milan as Milan. So why add Milan to Inter, London is not added to Chelsea or Arsenal or Liverpool added to Everton.

It annoys me especially when Inter are referred to as Milan, as some pundits do.

I guess some people prefer it that way. Tough titty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Lyon
    flahavaj wrote: »
    I guess some people prefer it that way. Tough titty.

Well the uneducated are indeed entitled to put any label or name they wish upon a team, but true football fans will always call a team by their correct name.

If you want to argue your case with Inter fans that we are indeed called Inter Milan I suggest that you go to http://www.forzainterforums.com and see what response you get.

edit: still no response given as to why you brought the magic carpenter into a football discussion.

Inter Milan
    Well the uneducated are indeed entitled to put any label or name they wish upon a team, but true football fans will always call a team by their correct name.

If you want to argue your case with Inter fans that we are indeed called Inter Milan I suggest that you go to http://www.forzainterforums.com and see what response you get.

You seem to be mistaking me for someone who gives a flying f*ck what people choose to call Inter Milan on the internet.

Just to be clear: I don't.

Its you that's getting all precious about it, not me.:)

Edit: You're also mistaking me for the guy you originally quoted about Jesus btw.

Lyon
    Edit: You're also mistaking me for the guy you originally quoted about Jesus btw.

Ah, correct I did mistake for the guy who quoted Jesus, my sincere apologies, it was clearly another poster and not you.

If you don't care what people call Inter why bother posting on it.

Inter Milan
    Ah, correct I did mistake for the guy who quoted Jesus, my sincere apologies, it was clearly another poster and not you.

If you don't care what people call Inter why bother posting on it.

Because I believe you're being unnecessarily pedantic.:)

Nothing to do with Inter or whatever they're called in essence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Inter Milan
    You know in Germany they say Arsenal London, Chelsea London, Juventus Turin etc.

Maybe you should go over there and correct them.

Barca for me. Nothing's happened to change my mind since the quarter final poll. Actually had just made a Barca victory more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Lyon
    Voted Inter, for the obvious biased reason but I have thought since before we played Chelsea that if we beat them we would go all the way and still think we can get past Barca. I would happily take the scudetto over the CL though, even if we have pretty much blown our chances of that.

Oh and jamsie you really should relax about the name, it's not something that happens to Inter exclusively, most foreigners refer to Man Utd simply as Manchester for example, and its not a derogatory thing either. So long as people remember the Inter it's ok.

Lyon
    Because I believe you're being unnecessarily pedantic.:)

Nothing to do with Inter or whatever they're called in essence.

Any Inter fan would take the same stance.

Its not a case of being unnecessarily pedantic. Most Irish people would take exception to our country being called Southern Ireland. Similarly Inter fans, particularly those from English speaking countries will take exception to Inter being called Inter Milan.

You might think its pedantic as you have no connection or affiliation with Inter, but to those of us who care about Inter we don't think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

dor83 wrote: »
    Oh and jamsie you really should relax about the name, it's not something that happens to Inter exclusively, most foreigners refer to Man Utd simply as Manchester for example, and its not a derogatory thing either. So long as people remember the Inter it's ok.

Like Robinho.

• Advertisement

Lyon
    You know in Germany they say Arsenal London, Chelsea London, Juventus Turin etc.

Maybe you should go over there and correct them.

Its a fair point, but I'm not German nor do I speak it, so it would be pointless.

I'm Irish and I speak English so I'm just trying to educate fans here on the name that Inter should be called. If you want to ignore me or think I'm being overly fussy, then of course you are well within your right to do so.

Inter Milan

Its not a case of being unnecessarily pedantic. Most Irish people would take exception to our country being called Southern Ireland. Similarly Inter fans, particularly those from English speaking countries will take exception to Inter being called Inter Milan.

You might think its pedantic as you have no connection or affiliation with Inter, but to those of us who care about Inter we don't think it is.

I'm fine with Southern Ireland tbh.

Not worth getting all butt sore over anyway.

As others have said United get referred to abroad as "Manchester" all the time. So they got the name wrong, big f*cking deal?

I even find United fans getting annoyed over Man U a bit laughable.

Unclench. Relax. Its not worth it mate.

Lyon
    I'm fine with Southern Ireland tbh.

Not worth getting all butt sore over anyway.

As others have said United get referred to abroad as "Manchester" all the time. So they got the name wrong, big f*cking deal?

I even find United fans getting annoyed over Man U a bit laughable.

Unclench. Relax. Its not worth it mate.

I really can't. It annoys me greatly. I wish I could because its the term that RTE, SKY and ITV use. I have to put up with it constantly.

Although I much rather being called the wrong name whist still being in the CL than being out of it and called the correct name.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Inter Milan
    Its not being pedantic, it really annoys me when Inter is referred to as Inter Milan. The team's name is simply Inter. In Italy Inter is always referred to as Inter and AC Milan as Milan. So why add Milan to Inter, London is not added to Chelsea or Arsenal or Liverpool added to Everton.

It annoys me especially when Inter are referred to as Milan, as some pundits do.

If you think I'm being pedantic, try and find one source other than the British/Irish media who refers to Inter as Inter Milan, can't be done.

Calling them Inter is a colloquial Italian thing. So yes you are being a tad pedantic. We would use names for teams that some foreigners might not appreciate. For example, if I referred to 'City', every single poster here would know who I'm talking about. But abroad some people might not get that since there's loads of teams in England with 'City' in their name. And their full official name does acknowledge that they're Internazionale Milano, so I think 'Inter' is just a shortening of that in the same way, as I said, that we call Man City 'City', or Aston Villa 'Villa', or Notts Forest 'Forest' etc

Lyon
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    Calling them Inter is a colloquial Italian thing. So yes you are being a tad pedantic. We would use names for teams that some foreigners might not appreciate. For example, if I referred to 'City', every single poster here would know who I'm talking about. But abroad some people might not get that since there's loads of teams in England with 'City' in their name. And their full official name does acknowledge that they're Internazionale Milano, so I think 'Inter' is just a shortening of that in the same way, as I said, that we call Man City 'City', or Aston Villa 'Villa', or Notts Forest 'Forest' etc

I understand what your saying completely.

Its just the word Milan, to me, refers to AC Milan. So putting it after Inter really annoys me. It might seem from the outside that I'm being pedantic, but when the name that refers to one of your biggest rivals is being used as part of your name its does get to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

As a dissapointed United fan, I couldn't give a toss about who wins the CL this year. Having said that, I'll still be watching the games!

However, I really & honestly - and I mean this with all my heart - couldn't give a fllying fig what people call Inter Milan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Lyon
    dor83 wrote: »
    Voted Inter, for the obvious biased reason but I have thought since before we played Chelsea that if we beat them we would go all the way and still think we can get past Barca. I would happily take the scudetto over the CL though, even if we have pretty much blown our chances of that.

:pac: Bad timing.

Inter Milan
    :pac: Bad timing.

LOL its not as if the place is even overrun with Inter Milan fans.:pac:

Lyon
    However, I really & honestly - and I mean this with all my heart - couldn't give a fllying fig what people call Inter Milan.

I suppose that's fair enough, you have no connection to the club or the league if your a Manc fan. I have and I do care, that's all I'm trying to get across.

Lyon
    LOL its not as if the place is even overrun with Inter Milan fans.:pac:

It certainly isn't, most football fans here are fans of EPL teams, so I suppose I shouldn't expect any support for my defence of Italian teams.

Inter Milan
    It certainly isn't, most football fans here are fans of EPL teams, so I suppose I shouldn't expect any support for my defence of Italian teams.

Keep up.

The point is, only minutes after you came out with your rather self righteous and pompous "any true fan of Inter Milan would think the same as me" guff, an Inter Milan fan posted saying it was no big deal.

Delicious.

• Advertisement

Lyon
    Keep up.

The point is, only minutes after you came out with your rather self righteous and pompous "any true fan of Inter Milan would think the same as me" guff, an Inter Milan fan posted saying it was no big deal.

Delicious.

Where did I use the phrase 'true' fan??? I certainly didn't use the term "true fan of Inter Milan" it goes against what I've been arguing here, keep up. And where was I self righteous and pompous, I'm pretty sure I was being honest and sincere in my opinion on the matter.

Yes one Inter fan on here said that to him it was no big deal, but to me and most people on the Inter forum I post on and to the 2 Inter fans I know, it is a big deal.

So why the "Keep Up"??? Most fans on here are fans of EPL teams, maybe i have misinterpreted your meaning of "Keep Up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Inter Milan

If you think I'm being pedantic, try and find one source other than the British/Irish media who refers to Inter as Inter Milan, can't be done.

In Italy, well this is Ireland and we'll call them whatever we want. Milan is added to Inter because that is the name of the club. Good grief man...

Inter Milan
    Where did I use the phrase 'true' fan??? I certainly didn't use the term "true fan of Inter Milan" it goes against what I've been arguing here, keep up. And where was I self righteous and pompous, I'm pretty sure I was being honest and sincere in my opinion on the matter.

Yes one Inter fan on here said that to him it was no big deal, but to me and most people on the Inter forum I post on and to the 2 Inter fans I know, it is a big deal.

So why the "Keep Up"??? Most fans on here are fans of EPL teams, maybe i have misinterpreted your meaning of "Keep Up".

You're right you didn't even say "true fan." Worse again. My bad.:pac:

Arra we're not getting anywhere here.

I wish Inter Milan every success against Barca. God knows they'll need it.:pac:

Lyon
    Osu wrote: »
    In Italy, well this is Ireland and we'll call them whatever we want. Milan is added to Inter because that is the name of the club. Good grief man...

Well I'm afraid your wrong there Sir, Milan is one club and Inter is another.

Lyon
    You're right you didn't even say "true fan." Worse again. My bad.:pac:

Arra we're not getting anywhere here.

I wish Inter Milan every success against Barca. God knows they'll need it.:pac:

Oh I see, so now because I didn't say 'true' fan, I mustn't be one and hence I shouldn't have an opinion on the matter. Nevermind the fact that I travel to Italy to support them several times a year, the fact that I didn't use the term 'true' fan cancels out any legitimate claim I have of being a 'true' fan.

We are not getting anywhere because people are failing to see that the club should be called Inter and Inter only.

Yes we will need every success against Barca, they are the best team in the World right now and are rightly favourites for the competition. In my opinion we will struggle to get to the final, but if we do I believe we will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Inter Milan
    Well I'm afraid your wrong there Sir, Milan is one club and Inter is another.

Excuse me, Sir, but Milan is a city, not a club. I'm sure the Milanese wouldn't be happy about you referring to them as a club.

Just as your not happy about Milan Inter Milan Inter being referred to as Inter Milan or simply Milan.

Thanks, I'm sure you understand.

Lyon
    Osu wrote: »
    Excuse me, Sir, but Milan is a city, not a club. I'm sure the Milanese wouldn't be happy about you referring to them as a club.

Just as your not happy about Milan Inter Milan Inter being referred to as Inter Milan or simply Milan.

Thanks, I'm sure you understand.

Milan is indeed a city, but only known as such in English. But here we are talking about football clubs and in the city of Milano, the Milanese(whom you have mentioned) know of two clubs, one called Milan and the other called Inter.

So if I were to use the term Milan in the city itself, they would know that I am referring to the football club and not the city.

Inter Milan
    Oh I see, so now because I didn't say 'true' fan, I mustn't be one and hence I shouldn't have an opinion on the matter. Nevermind the fact that I travel to Italy to support them several times a year, the fact that I didn't use the term 'true' fan cancels out any legitimate claim I have of being a 'true' fan.

:eek:

What a rather odd leap of logic you have made here.

You seem very highly strung tbh, but I've enjoyed your posts nonetheless.
    We are not getting anywhere because people are failing to see that the club should be called Inter and Inter only.

My issue was never really whether you're right or wrong, as I've said before. Just that its not that big a deal either way.

Goodnight. Mind the blood pressure.;)

Lyon
    :eek:

What a rather odd leap of logic you have made here.

Not an odd leap of logic, your use of 'worse again' and ':pac:' suggested that because I didn't use the word 'true' meant it only mattered to none 'true' fans of Inter and that 'true' fans of Inter didn't care about such things.
    My issue was never really whether you're right or wrong, as I've said before. Just that its not that big a deal either way.

Goodnight. Mind the blood pressure.;)

I know that to you it wasn't a big deal, as I stated in a previous post that it really does only matter to Inter fans, my main reason for posting was just to educate the masses. If you chose to use Inter Milan there is nothing much I can do except complain and be annoyed.

My blood pressure is fine btw, I am actually able to debate a topic without harming my health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm gonna call them Inter Schminter from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Barcelona

No they don't. Well maybe years ago when no one knew who the hell Chelsea was. Up to the late nineties EPL interest n Germany was practically zero and is still very limited.
    Belive it or not but in Germany English football was always looked down on in terms of quality and even the current spell is regarded as some sort of Sheikh/ Russian oligarch bubble that will pass over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Barcelona
    Did you know that in Italy they call Bayern München 'Monaco'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Inter Milan
    Good many a team in Italy where the average age is above 30 Gibbo, thinking of heading there myself.

Barca for the win, or Barca por la victoria as they say in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Inter Milan
    Boskowski wrote: »
    No they don't.

Here you go. The Bild's report of the Barca-Arsenal quarter final. What do they call them? Arsenal London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Lyon
    Inter Milan seem to be on a bad run of form lately. I think Inter Milans manager would probably win the CL though, as Inter Milan have had great success in Italy in recent years. Inter Milan will be no easy game as again, Mourinho (or should I call him by his full name) knows how to stifle other teams tactics.

I said Inter Milan in the poll, but if FC Barcelona play like they have done for the last few weeks, winning the CL will be a foregone conclusion.

Inter Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Inter Milan
    No question... it will be Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I agree I can't see any team stopping Barcelona at this stage.

Inter Milan
    Barcelona have hit phenomenal form at the right time. Hard to see anybody else finding the form to beat that.

Advertisement