Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valentia

124»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I hope his family and particularly his son read this thread and know how highly his father was thought of and how much his love for his son was evident in his posts and his pictures.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

DeVore wrote: »
    I hope his family and particularly his son read this thread and know how highly his father was thought of and how much his love for his son was evident in his posts and his pictures.

DeV.

Very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

just a couple of weeks ago i met friends of his in dundalk - it feals weird i never actually met him in person

R.I.P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A year already?

Danny was one of those people who made an impression, not by being loud or imposing, just by having an amazing presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Seems like Danny has brought us the good weather for the Photowalk in his honour tommorrow in Trim. All welcome. Danny's friends and family will be there too. Craic and maybe the odd tear guarenteed :D

• Advertisement

What a cracking weekend.

Big turnout (mainly the Oldtimers around here !) , cracking weather and lots of tales tall and otherwise. Great Craic all round.

Much appreciated by Danny's family too. Thanks to all who dropped by (including the eejit who took 300 shots with my camera :p:) )

Definitely established as "THE" photowalk to go to now. Trim is just one fabulous place to photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Elliejo

Two years ago today......:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Elliejo wrote: »
    Two years ago today......:(:(
    Was only thinking of him the other day what with the Trim Balloon Fest this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Think I probably posted this previously, but given the date it might deserve a second (third?) outing :o

20100408-IMGP3100-Danny-O-Brien-Master-of-his-trade.jpg

Taken 17.03.2009

Hard to believe that four years have now passed since Danny left us.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Funny myself and MissusPandB bumped into Phil and Kate yesterday (Danny's wife and daughter) and we were just saying how those four years have flown by. His anniversary was today......

Hard to believe that four years have now passed since Danny left us.

very inspirational to me back then - great guy. R.i.P.

The 4 years have flown alright. Hope to get back next year to organizing another commerative event !

For those who didn't know Danny please check out his great stuff on pixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

I am not artistic at all but whenever I see something of beauty I think of Danny. He was really magic and even more larger in life in person.

Five years have now passed......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Still think of Danny quite often even now. He cast a long shadow.

Five years have now passed......

As I drove into town this evening the hot air balloons were out being inflated - not a million miles from the yellow steeple. I recall Danny's excitement as he had his first, and then many more flights in those graceful birds. Excitement which was childlike in its wonder. But excitement and wonder were no stranger to Danny who saw things differently as we often saw and were in awe at his photography. I often think of him and have a quiet thought for him (like when passing by brogan's former premises last night!!). Thanks for posting. Five years eh? Still very much missed around these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

He continues to cast a light over many lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

I think of of regularly.. Only for him.. I wouldn't be doing what I am doing today. Always grateful Danny & always missed.

there still a picture of him in Gunnes which is great - I always remember this comment he made 8 years on a picture , that was far from my favourite , but gave me such confidence in them early days :-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/688694532/in/photostream/

had many communications with him in the virtual world , but sadly never got to meet him, although I have met many of friends scattered around our isle.

Rest gently & peacefully Danny

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

:(

I remember his photographic advice to me in PM's on a couple of occasions, but mostly I remember the barely contained love that burst out of his seams when he spoke about his son.

That link had me perusing Danny's images. What strikes you is that he had many different styles with one constant ..... Quality.

DeVore wrote: »
    :(

I remember his photographic advice to me in PM's on a couple of occasions, but mostly I remember the barely contained love that burst out of his seams when he spoke about his son.

You should see him now! And he's about to bring a child of his own into the world any day now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

It's been a long time since I logged in to thus forum but when I saw the name Valentia I had to post, Danny gave me a lot of advice on my move from the Canon 20D to 40D "good few years ago", His work was in a word perfection may he R.I.P

www.jkphotography.ie

8 years today......

Still feel the loss.

Danny regularly pops into my mind (and this day always gets a few moments of my thoughts for him). I can recall people saying as they do at times of loss that we'll never see the likes of him again, and you know I think they were right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

I think of Danny regularly and light candles for him all the time when I find myself inside a church ... glad I have the book to look through; its always on view in the living room.

I knew him for an all too brief period, but it left a very positive mark on me.

I've not posted here for some time ... I hope everyone is still keeping up the passion. Now I'm back in the industry I'm taking tons of photos ... but mostly just for demo purposes on a smartphone ... the poor old SLR's are gathering dust :o

Is it 8 years... :(
    RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I think of Danny regularly and light candles for him all the time when I find myself inside a church ... glad I have the book to look through; its always on view in the living room.

I knew him for an all too brief period, but it left a very positive mark on me.

I've not posted here for some time ... I hope everyone is still keeping up the passion. Now I'm back in the industry I'm taking tons of photos ... but mostly just for demo purposes on a smartphone ... the poor old SLR's are gathering dust :o

Saw you walking along the beach road recently and thought of the pic in your sig, great image. Good to see you snapping again, for whatever reason...

9 years gone today.😢

This. Still...
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Danny regularly pops into my mind (and this day always gets a few moments of my thoughts for him). I can recall people saying as they do at times of loss that we'll never see the likes of him again, and you know I think they were right.

9 Years... :(

Valentia was a terrific and generous person. I miss him. And I am still envious of his fighting gannets which was one of the great, great photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Had some difficulty finding this but I think this must be the pic you're talking about?

?width=605

• Advertisement

Great shot .... lovely person.

Myksyk wrote: »
    Had some difficulty finding this but I think this must be the pic you're talking about?

?width=605

Yes it is.

Myksyk wrote: »

That reminded me of this;

1486051004_d5c8157a57_z.jpg

pix.ie may be gone but if you've a free moment then take a little trip down memory lane on flickr.

Danny's son, Donal at a recent wedding. Ridiculous the similarity.

Fintan-Claudia-s-Trim-Wedding-9035.jpg

We're also shooting his daughter's wedding later this year.....

Advertisement