Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18C peak..............

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    I think we'll break the 20c barrier today. currently 19.2c here now so looking good and like you say Owen not a breath of wind today.

Infact Athlone is currently reporting 20c.

yep and the wind has changed to north here now so the temps can rise again up to 19c here nearest station stating 17c so in time it may rise to 20c if the wind dosn't change back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    yep and the wind has changed to north here now so the temps can rise again up to 19c here nearest station stating 17c so in time it may rise to 20c if the wind dosn't change back again.

You dont want a north wind, coming off a cold sea. Thats the last thing you need for high temperatures.

You dont want a north wind, coming off a cold sea. Thats the last thing you need for high temperatures.

well why did the temperatures rise when the wind changed? see :http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ballykelly_latest_weather.html It must be the wind because at eglinton it is only 15c and it is lower because the wind changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

The car thermometer is reading 18.5c the one at home is reading a lovely 18.9c.

Feels like summer here in Clonmel :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hughkane

talking about the weather is so novel.

• Advertisement

A north wind for you on the North coast will bring in cold air off the very cold North Irish sea. Thats about right for Eglinton as most of the country is around 18-20c, so on the North coast with a North wind temps will be in general 4-5c lower.

Wind or air moving over warm land will increase temperatures, thats why midlands/west/south west will see greater temperatures today than Northern/eastern districts.

20.1C! We have gone over the 20c mark in the Mid west! In all fairness my garden is well sheltered, but still.

20.1C! We have gone over the 20c mark in the Mid west! In all fairness my garden is well sheltered, but still.

Yea got to 20.4c here now but only because the wind calmed down enough for temp to rise and it's still 15c in eglinton which is only 5mile from ballykelly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

My sensor gave a max of 21.6 in the shade today.
    Seems a bit high. It was around the 20.2 mark most of the afternoon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Strangely enough today wasn't quite as warm as yesterday, with 18.9°C being the official max at both Oak Park and Shannon Airport. But yesterday's coolest areas were warmer today.

Here's the summary.

EDIT: Actually, I should have waited until the 7pm reports were included, as Ogimet only takes 3-hourly synoptic reports, so some of the stations have only reported up to 4pm. Temps may have gotten higher after that, which will be reflected in the 7pm reports.....if you follow me!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

my car thermometer went from 15 degrees in dublin city centre to 19 degrees when i got home to leixlip. definately a big difference further away from the coast.

df1985 wrote: »
    my car thermometer went from 15 degrees in dublin city centre to 19 degrees when i got home to leixlip. definately a big difference further away from the coast.

Yeah, mine went from 13.5 at the coast in Portrane to 19.5 on the M4 at Leixlip.

yep got upto 20.7c here today after the wind slowed and changed direction for a short period, this allowed the temp to climb, but then at about 6.30 the wind changed direction and then the temps dropped and it is now 14.8c... back to depressing school tomorrow! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Got up to 20.9c here today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Got 20 degrees in Donegal too,
    been 19 mostly for the whole day though.
    Funny to see people out in shorts especially since there was frost this morning, typical Irish lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

21 out here in Longford last 2 days.

BBQ's 2 days in a row while the weather was good!

I wonder when we will get 25c?? Would love that then you could go out and go to the beach and actually feel warm and not army warm at 20c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    I wonder when we will get 25c?? Would love that then you could go out and go to the beach and actually feel warm and not army warm at 20c

If it is going to be 25c, to the beach I will not head. :p. One of life's mysteries (to me) is why people flock to the beach as soon as there is any scrape of warmth to cool down. The beach is only nice when there is a gale force 10 happening! :D. Nothing as nice as feeling a real heat on your skin on a hot day inland with a nice land breeze blowing and everything blooming and heathery smells and everything. :)

20.3c achieved here earlier on, although I am in the middle of a town. Oddly, it did not feel quite so warm as yesterday. I guess rh's were down a little on yesterday's values. :)

20.3c achieved here earlier on, although I am in the middle of a town. Oddly, it did not feel quite so warm as yesterday. I guess rh's were down a little on yesterday's values. :)

yes at times it felt like 12 or 13c... yesterday it felt fairly warm.

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    Strangely enough today wasn't quite as warm as yesterday, with 18.9°C being the official max at both Oak Park and Shannon Airport. But yesterday's coolest areas were warmer today.

Here's the summary.

EDIT: Actually, I should have waited until the 7pm reports were included, as Ogimet only takes 3-hourly synoptic reports, so some of the stations have only reported up to 4pm. Temps may have gotten higher after that, which will be reflected in the 7pm reports.....if you follow me!!??

Yep, the warmest temperatures were recorded after 4pm.

Claremorris 19.6
    Oak Park 19.3
    Shannon Airport 19.2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo got to 17.9c at 1402.

Over 17c for a good part of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

It was 19c,slightly higer at times,at Knock airport throughout the afternoon and the wind as given by the tower was "calm" for most of the time too-rare up at Knock!! Back at Castlebar now and its lovely to see some shades of blue left in the sky looking back towards the reek.

Just noticed a rare phenomenon on my weather graphs. For the last 3 days, the air pressure readings fell as the day heated up, and rose once again as it cool down: (sorry for bad quality graph, had to be re-sized to make it fit comfortably on the post :o)

110489.jpg

Air pressure (black line) clearly fell, by around 1.5mb's, during the heat of the day (blue line) and rose during the night, leveling off at around 1031.0mbs. The same is happening again tonight, with pressure rising back up to 1030.1mb at the mo and will probably level off to similar vales as previous nights.

I thought this phenomena only happened in the tropical regions of the globe :eek:, but obviously not. :)

Claremorris 19.6

Warmer than any day last August at the station :eek:, with the highest reading at the station that month being just 19.2c on the 4th, and a whole 0.3c warmer than what I recorded in that incredibly wet month. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

18.4c today. Warmest since 25th September 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just thought id ask this,in dry spells of weather like this one,why do some images appear on the Met.ie radar? note the latest Met image.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I guess that it is heat radiating out into space raising humidity levels at around 1500m up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Claremorris 19.6
    Oak Park 19.3
    Shannon Airport 19.2

That same site is also showing (for NI):

Castlederg 20.4
    St Angelo 19.7
    Portglenone 19.7

The warmest day anywhere on the island in a long time!

• Advertisement

Just thought id ask this,in dry spells of weather like this one,why do some images appear on the Met.ie radar? note the latest Met image.

That's called anaprop (anomalous propogation). When there's an anticyclone, the subsidence inversion (where the air suddenly warms up with height instead of cooling), this causes refraction under the inversion. Far off obstacles, that would normally be out of range of the radar, are now detected because the radar beams reach much further around the earth's curvature, and get reflected off the distant obstacles.

So the heavy returns near Dundalk are probably the Shannon radar picking up returns from the Scottish terrain.

Advertisement