Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmonella in Turtle water...

Options
  • 07-04-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

:eek::eek::eek:We all know that turtles breed salmonella. Well.... I was tossing the used water off of my deck, thinking nothing of it. My wife just told me that since I was doing that, that the kids can't play outside in the yard anymore, because of the salmonella water I dumped. Can anyone tell me what time frame salmonella breaks down, IF it does, so I know if it's safe for the kids? Should I rototill the area, and replace the soil? What should I do?!?!?!
    Thanks everyone!
    Ps, I have a red eared slider, about 7 inches long and 5 inches wide. (Just in case the info helps)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Salmonella bacteria can apparently survive weeks in the dry, and months in a wet environment.

In terms of how to get rid of it in your garden, to be honest I don't know. Indoors I'd have you out with scalding water and bleach cleaners, if you've been chucking it over your grass I've no idea how that would pan out in terms of its survival. It could be already gone and no problem, or it could be happily festering out there.

How small are your kids?

Hopefully someone on here might have more information or ideas for you, but failing that, in your position I'd try my vet first for information, and then I'd honestly see if I could get the health inspector's office at my council or somesuch department, and ask them for guidance if the vet couldn't help me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tbg2001

Thanks Sweeper, It atleast gives me some ideas for finding out. HOPEFULLY some vet on this board will see this and know.
    Thanks again

Advertisement