Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The future of Man Utd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Same old story since 1995. Of course United will have to replace players. Every team does. But why is everybody so sure that all the other clubs will actually spend money wisely? How can you be sure that Torres or Fabregas wont go to Spain? Liverpool and Chelsea have aging players of their own.

Ferguson not spending money is seen as a sign United don;t have money, but Wenger not spending money is somehow not a sign that Arsenal don't have money. Why is that?

A more pertinent question would be to question the Premier League as a whole. Not on the basis of several narrow defeats in Europe this year. But along the lines of serious money problems across the country. Add in the tax issue too, Spain is much more lucrative now. Just ask Jermaine Pennant :D Plus the issue of dominance being cyclical, different leagues have periods of dominance. England had it in the late 70s/ early 80s. Italy had it in the 90s. Spain had it at the turn of the century. Now there might be a more egalitarian phase with the return of French and German teams. Or it could be a complete one-off year, a la Porto and Monaco. What odds a Lyon-Inter final?! :D

But whatever happens, United are not finished. This is not burying my head in the sand, they have issues. But the core team remains that have won the last 3 leagues. They might win another in a few weeks. If Rafael had not been sent off, a team without Giggs, Scholes and Neville would have in all likelihood won tonight. That bodes well for the future. One or two crafty signings and they will challenge strongly again next season.

Man United didnt have £700M of debt in a global recession back in 95. Arsenal, Chelsea & Man City aren't refinancing their debt just so they can make repayments. Are you really trying to make out that this season is like '95??

Man United has spend money this season but in the summer, you wont be looking just to replace one player, several players arent up to the job and the youth prospects dont look up to the job. I dont think United have the money to make all the changes necessary to be favorites for anything.

SAF wouldnt trust a £30M player over an injured player tonight, another sign that the squad isnt right.

Who mentioned Liverpool??

The clubs I mentioned are in stronger financial positions to replace players. and improve their squads.

I'm not saying that United are finished, I'm saying that they'll slide down the pecking order.

The rest of what you said is irrelevant to this argument tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Rafa should be sacked thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055864143

= Locked

Time to sack Rafa? thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055798468

= Locked.

Are Liverpool and Rafa done?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055713395

= Thread was altered to 'Haters Gonna Hate' and then locked

Apparently the justification for locking them was due to it being worthy of discussing at the end of the season. Fair enough. Can understand that. Then we come to this joke of a thread 'The future of Man Utd' which is nothing more than a blatant wind-up of fans hurting over the loss of their team where the OP offers nothing constructive and instead does a hatchet job of the squad branding players 'a waste of time', 'old and useless', 'prob a ponce' etc. What happens? One would think judging by what happened to other threads it will be locked, right? Wrong.

= Left Open.

Can someone please explain this one to me, preferably in a calm and reasonable manner, because I can envisage several people waiting at the keyboard eager to call me all the names under the sun over the audacity of me seeing an inconsistency here. Well hold your horses, whoa Nelly etc. I'm just genuinely puzzled by this and interested in knowing why United fans have to put up with threads like this and Liverpool fans do not. I don't think I am being paranoid over what appears to me to be a disappointing lack of consistency.

Are we supposed to believe a Liverpool equivalent would have stayed open? I think not. Can we expect the Rafa threads to be opened soon? I don't think so.

Add in the fact that the Sir Alex equivalant of the Rafa thread has also been bumped to the top of the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The huge difference is United had the money to work through the expensive flops like Veron etc etc but now they don't have that luxury.

Vidic, Evra, Van der Sar and Park are examples of what can be bought for under 10 million. United are not going to splash out on big name players. I'd imagine there will be tweaks along the lines of the above. If anything, judging by Berbatov and Veron, NOT giving Fergie 30 million to spend on a player is actually a positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

your an idiot

heh heh heh.

SlickRic wrote: »
    though i agree with the sentiment that the thread is a bit premature to say the least, that Liverpool/Rafa thread stayed open for months.

this has been open 2 hours approx.

have patience. ;)

But theres also a Sir Alex equivalent to the Rafa thread that has been open for months and which was even started by the same poster, mirwillbeback? Why the need for two?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So I see the mods finally approved the Man United bashing thread...

looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

If i was a United fan i'd be praying City don't make it to the CL. I'd even want Liverpool to get there ahead of them. If City can offer top players CL football then i can see them putting the squeeze on Man United like Chelsea did a few seasons back when they snapped up Ballack, Essien, Robben and Mikel, all United targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That tinfoil hat getting a bit tight? One of those threads you listed was open for months and is about 225 pages long. The others were closed cause they were opened on the back of the other being closed. And yes, in answer to your question i'd expect a thread about rafas future in the summer, particularly if we don't get fourth

The thread you describe was started by a Villa fan, wasn't a blatant wind-up thread upon its inception and yes it did become messy but it was locked. The other threads in question were locked by the Man Utd supporting mod on this forum.

Are you not honest enough to admit it's a joke this thread is open this long?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    If i was a United fan i'd be praying City don't make it to the CL. I'd even want Liverpool to get there ahead of them. If City can offer top players CL football then i can see them putting the squeeze on Man United like Chelsea did a few seasons back when they snapped up Ballack, Essien, Robben and Mikel, all United targets.

Fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yes. Only united had injuries.

Good teams don't concede as many goals as Bayern do.

Tell me when united had the same injury problems they have had this season when tevez and Ronaldo were in the squad ?

Yes, every team has injuries, but for 3 seasons winning the legaue united did not have the same crippling injuries that they had this season. . With that in mind, its too simplistic and easy for people to point to how united have missed these players (who never had to play on united teams with these injuries) . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ballack a Utd target, doesn't ring a bell tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

How many of the current man united team would make Barca's team?
    How many would have 5 or 10 years ago?

Lets take last nights Barca team for an example

Van Der Sar > Valdes
    Valdes is a good shot stopper but has poor 6yrd box command and has slow and innacurate distribution

Vidic > milito, marquez, puyol, (that old united player having a brain fart)

Ferdinand > milito, marquez, puyol
    Great reader of the game and his back to front distribution is tremendous to see from a defender.

Evra > Eric abidal
    There is just no contest, defensively or offensively.

Alves >? Rafael, John o Shea
    I'm unsure, Alves for me is a poor defender, with poor reading ability. His attacking flare sometimes overshadows his defencies though. But for me a defender defends.

Xavi, Iniesta, Sergio > Carrick
    No brainer

Xavi, Iniesta > Fletcher > Sergio
    Fletchers technical ability seems to be improving and hes ball spreading and forward drive seems to be getting better and better, but not near xavi or iniesta

Valencia > Keita , Pedro
    Valencia has more in the bag for me, power, pace, football ability. His end product is that off an experienced winger, not someone his age.

Nani > Keita, Pedro
    Neither of the three has perfect end game produce, but Nani has more pace, more flare and a better return in front of goal. His end product probably does outweigh these two.

Messi > Nani , Valencia
    no need to discuss

Rooney > Ibrahimovic, Henry, Bojan
    Ibra has a special gift, he just has not applied it in recent years, his ability far outweighs where his game is at the moment. Rooney wins this hands down.

Bojan, pedro, keita, abidal, milito. These players would struggle in my opinion to break into a united team.

So to anwser your question

6 possibly 7 players could get into Barcas team, if you look on paper individual abilities, not effecting the teams flow.

I dont know if your question was

"How many players would get into the barca team, cause i think hardly any would"

Or

"How many players would get into the barca team, cause i think a good few would"

An easier question would be, on current form what Barca players would get into the current United team.

Alves, Messi , Xavi ( i exclude ibrahimovic because of united tendancy to play one up front in europe)

Thats three, and I wouldnt even be sure of Alves, so I'd probably say two....

Though these types of debates and conversations are usually a bit pointless.

If there was one team that I thought could stop Barcelona this year, it was United.

Fletchers current confidence looked like he could overun the aging legs of Xavi and inesta, with Paul Scholes easily managing the inexperienced Sergio Basquets.

I thought the strong defensive ability of Valencia would be enough to help deal with Messi (if he stayed strictly wide) with Rafael being nieve enough to go toe to toe.

And I didnt see Ibrahimovic getting the better of the United centre halfs.

I saw united front line tormenting a weak barca defence, with nani and valencia being particularly vital.

But its all speculation, we would never know. All I know is from what I have seen, none of the remaining teams have enough fire power to stop Barcelona.

I do see an inter barcelona final, and I see Wesley Sneijder showing exactly why every top team in the world should have been all over him for his signature the last few years.

I see Fergie seething watching a final he knows he should be in, and could of won.

And I see him coming back stronger next season and really throwing everything at the champions league.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Man United didnt have £700M of debt in a global recession back in 95. Arsenal, Chelsea & Man City aren't refinancing their debt just so they can make repayments. Are you really trying to make out that this season is like '95??

Man United has spend money this season but in the summer, you wont be looking just to replace one player, several players arent up to the job and the youth prospects dont look up to the job. I dont think United have the money to make all the changes necessary to be favorites for anything.

SAF wouldnt trust a £30M player over an injured player tonight, another sign that the squad isnt right.

Who mentioned Liverpool??

The clubs I mentioned are in stronger financial positions to replace players. and improve their squads.

I'm not saying that United are finished, I'm saying that they'll slide down the pecking order.

The rest of what you said is irrelevant to this argument tbh

I said SINCE 1995, not just 1995. For various reasons since that year United have been written off. There is always some reason every year to write them off. Look at the article I linked to earlier from 2006 in the Guardian. United were written off in much the same manner as what you have just said. The points were almost exactly the same. In 2006, they did have debt. They only bought one player, Michael Carrick. Yet they won the league. Compare your arguments to theirs and see if you see any similarities.

You may not have mentioned Liverpool, but they have been mentioned throughout the thread. It made sense to use one post instead of two. Similarly, everything else I said referred to the general theme of this thread. Knee jerk reactions left, right and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

jaykay74 wrote: »

That was well publicised. They offered him the number 13 shirt and all but apparently he felt United were a club in decline. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Vidic, Evra, Van der Sar and Park are examples of what can be bought for under 10 million. United are not going to splash out on big name players. I'd imagine there will be tweaks along the lines of the above. If anything, judging by Berbatov and Veron, NOT giving Fergie 30 million to spend on a player is actually a positive.

The problem is for good midfielders you need to spend over £10m. Who was the last united midfielder who has kept his place in the team who cost under £10m? Similarly how many left backs and goalkeepers have been sold for over £10m?

I remember that in fairness, I think they even spoke to him about a free transfer. Dodged a bullet there anyway, he's Chelsea's Carrick.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The thread you describe was started by a Villa fan, wasn't a blatant wind-up thread upon its inception and yes it did become messy but it was locked. The other threads in question were locked by the Man Utd supporting mod on this forum.

Are you not honest enough to admit it's a joke this thread is open this long?
    Its open a couple of hours-and the points being made are actually decent apart for the op!

Drumpot wrote: »
    Tell me when united had the same injury problems they have had this season when tevez and Ronaldo were in the squad ?

Yes, every team has injuries, but for 3 seasons winning the legaue united did not have the same crippling injuries that they had this season. . With that in mind, its too simplistic and easy for people to point to how united have missed these players (who never had to play on united teams with these injuries) . .

Arsenal have had alot of injuries all season. They're challenging.
    Chelsea have been missing centre backs all season and Essien. They're leading.

What point are you trying to make?

http://origin-www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=271261&page=1

EDIT: Parker Kent beat me to it.

• Advertisement

In all fairness, United are not built on "big signings" . . You can only buy so many top players in one season . . Looking at uniteds biggest signing in the last 5 seasons I would have to say it was Tevez as he was the only real established recognised star player. .

Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Evra . . None of these were players that every top club were queing up to sign . . The likes of Essien or Robben are the exception and only City, Chelski, Madrid or Barca realistically have any financial clout over united . .

United is still only a player or two short of winning the CL and league IMO. . They were unlucky to go out tonight . . If Tevez or Ronaldo had never played for united and were joining in the summer, people would be saying that its uniteds cups to lose but they didnt make much of a differance last season as we may still end up winning the same amount this season . . Reminds me of when united signed Veron and Ruud and people thought the CL and League were a given . . Didnt happen like that . . I think people underestimate uniteds squad players and team ethos . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

flahavaj wrote: »
    I remember that in fairness, I think they even spoke to him about a free transfer. Dodged a bullet there anyway, he's Chelsea's Carrick.:pac:

Just googled it now. Thanks. didn't register for me. bullet dodged there alright. :).

Also the money picked up for Mikel from Chelsea was nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The reason money is seen as such a big issue is because the direct replacements aren't in the squad. There is no new Giggs or Scoles, Carrck and Berbatov aren't really pulling their weight, and the only good keeper is pushing 40.

Those players need to be replaced very soon, and the quality isn't there to do it internally.

I dont disagree with most of this either but, the poster I was responding to, Dempsey I think it was, said that if United dont spend alot this summer they will fall down the pecking order behind City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. and implied they`d finish below them in the league, which I disagree with. VDS will be there again next season and is playing as well as ever,Scholes and Giggs will be bit part players, moreso than this season even. Carrick, well dont get me started. Berbatov, I`ll still hold judgement for another season.

It will be a problem down the line, the season after next, most likely, and wheter United will have the funds to replace them is very questionable, but for now (i.e. next season) the squad will remain more or less intact, probably 2 additions at most. The suggestion that if United dont spend big money in the summer they`d fall down the league next season was what had me responding and disagreeing.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Its open a couple of hours-and the points being made are actually decent apart for the op!

Problem is all it does is encourage the OP, he's already started another thread about him preferring to support a "team of Fritzels" than England at the world cup thats had to be deleted. Now after how offended you got by Fergie's German comments Alan, I'd imagine that kinda stuff would leave a sensitive soul like yourself traumatised.;)

Arsenal have had alot of injuries all season. They're challenging.
    Chelsea have been missing centre backs all season and Essien. They're leading.

What point are you trying to make?

My very simple point is that people cannot put uniteds underachievements this season simply down to ronaldo and Tevez leaving as we did not have the same injury problems when they were at the club. .

Not sure why you bring chelski or Arsenal into this to dispute a point I never made !! ! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thank god i didn't see that thread so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think its perfectly plausible to question the future of Manchester United. The OP has gone way over the top but certainly there are question marks. Will Fergie be given money to spend in the summer or will he be working off scraps? If he isn't given cash, the team will get weaker unless he unearths some hidden gems on the cheap. United could win the league next year but is also entirely possible they could finish third or fourth if Rooney gets injured and misses some games

TheDoc wrote: »
    Lets take last nights Barca team for an example

Van Der Sar > Valdes
    Valdes is a good shot stopper but has poor 6yrd box command and has slow and innacurate distribution
    Valdez is pretty handy - a toss up.

Vidic > milito, marquez, puyol, (that old united player having a brain fart)
    Vidic can't pass a ball = no good to Barca.

Ferdinand > milito, marquez, puyol
    Ferdinand wouldn't get a game rhis season. He's been terrible.

Evra > Eric abidal
    There is just no contest, defensively or offensively.
    agreed

Valencia > Keita , Pedro
    Valencia has more in the bag for me, power, pace, football ability. His end product is that off an experienced winger, not someone his age.
    Valencia would be competing with Messi. No contest.

Nani > Keita, Pedro
    Neither of the three has perfect end game produce, but Nani has more pace, more flare and a better return in front of goal. His end product probably does outweigh these two.
    Nani is not better than either of these and it's a moot point as neither would have started if Iniesta was fit. And Iniesta is better than anyone at united with the exception of Rooney

Rooney > Ibrahimovic, Henry, Bojan
    Ibra has a special gift, he just has not applied it in recent years, his ability far outweighs where his game is at the moment. Rooney wins this hands down.
    Obviously, I would take Rooney in a heartbeat. But Ibra is a brilliant player. This needs to be recognised.

My thoughts in red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liam O wrote: »
    So I see the mods finally approved the Man United bashing thread...

looks nice.

So any time United are spoken about in a negative context it's 'bashing' and we should lock the thread?

Sorry that won't be happening with me anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I said SINCE 1995, not just 1995. For various reasons since that year United have been written off. There is always some reason every year to write them off. Look at the article I linked to earlier from 2006 in the Guardian. United were written off in much the same manner as what you have just said. The points were almost exactly the same. In 2006, they did have debt. They only bought one player, Michael Carrick. Yet they won the league. Compare your arguments to theirs and see if you see any similarities.

You may not have mentioned Liverpool, but they have been mentioned throughout the thread. It made sense to use one post instead of two. Similarly, everything else I said referred to the general theme of this thread. Knee jerk reactions left, right and centre.

They were able to manage the debt back in 2006 though, it was pre recession, your still failing to acknowledge the fact that United arent in the same financial position as 2006. I dont care what some hack in the Guardian said 4 years ago, it doesnt make my points invalid today.

This summer will require more than signing one player to sort out the squad. There is certainly a massive question mark over whether they have the finance ready to fix the squad.

Man City will definitely outspend United and I reckon so will Chelsea and they'll buy real quality. City getting 4th will give them massive leverage in the transfer market which would be a massive catalyst for them to mount a proper title challenge.

This isnt a knee jerk reaction to tonight's performance but to the fact that united arent going to get more Champions League revenue which would have helped massively come the summer.

My very simple point is that people cannot put uniteds underachievements this season simply down to ronaldo and Tevez leaving as we did not have the same injury problems when they were at the club. .

Not sure why you bring chelski or Arsenal into this to dispute a point I never made !! ! :confused:

Didn't United have lots of injury problems in defence when they went on that amazing run of clean sheets last season? Remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

My thoughts in red.

Seriously, you're winding us up right?

Where's the camera?

Every club has injury problems.
    Unless the whole team go down with long term injuries, it is not a valid excuse.
    I used the others as a foil. Chelsea have been missing arguably their most important player for most of the season
    Arsenal have been missing their best forward.

So any time United are spoken about in a negative context it's 'bashing' and we should lock the thread?

No offence, but if I started a thread about every single Liverpool/City player and started calling every second player 'useless' - it'd be shot down fairly quick.

No offence, but if I started a thread about every single Liverpool/City player and started calling every second player 'useless' - it'd be shot down fairly quick.

Have you actually got any valid contribution to make to the thread?

• Advertisement

Problem is it pretty much gives a green light to anyone that wants to start a thread "analysing" another club's players and call them a "ponce" etc or whatever over the top sh*te they like. As evidenced by the OP's Fritzel thread attempt earlier. I doubt he'd have tried that if his first attempt at a troll thraed hadn't been endorsd by the mods as fair game.

Then again if you like extra hassle good luck with this new found leniency, 'tis yourself is gonna have to deal with it.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

rich, ****ing rich

I think I might start city bashing not so rosy thread

of course

place is gone to the dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

okay how about if anyone thinks someones posts is extremely idiotic, off topic or abusive then just ignore them?

Its not a bad topic to discuss when discussed properly!

I thought I was speaking the most sense in this ridiculous thread actually. Anyways, won't be bothering you in here anymore. Can't be arsed looking at horse **** on a computer screen. Have your 15 mins sir.

Does this thread have any valid contribution to make?

• Advertisement

Is there not a rule about whining about thread content?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Very true must be said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great thread, would read again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did you miss the first post of the thread? You think that's alright yeah? I thought we were posting under these terms:
    TROLLING: Posting provocative or controversial opinions with the intention of winding up other posters will not be tolerated. The moderators reserve the right to make a judgement call on a poster's intent, and issue warnings/infractions/bans as necessary.

Nothing provocative or controversial in the OP's post then?

There's also one about back seat modding as well. :)

Its called back seat modding I believe. You're doing it right now actually.;)

I saw a mod complain about somebody mention the phrase "ABU" in a united match thread (might of actually been me cause as a united fan it certainly feels like there are only united fans and ABU's) . .

As far as I am concerned it comes with supporting United . . But when United fans actually try to defend themselves with witty responses on this forum, it seems to get up the nose of some mods who like to keep things "civil" or their interpretation of civil (united fans getting sarcastic abuse designed to infuriate, but technically something that could be accepted on this forum as not breaking the rules, kinda like getting off a DD offence on a technicality) . .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Didn't United have lots of injury problems in defence when they went on that amazing run of clean sheets last season? Remember?

not nearly as many as we had this season. Not even slightly close.

Pro. F wrote: »
    not nearly as many as we had this season. Not even slightly close.

+ 1

I don't remember Fletcher and Carrick playing in defence last season.

I saw a mod complain about somebody mention the phrase "ABU" in a united match thread (might of actually been me cause as a united fan it certainly feels like there are only united fans and ABU's) . .

As far as I am concerned it comes with supporting United . . But when United fans actually try to defend themselves with witty responses on this forum, it seems to get up the nose of some mods who like to keep things "civil" or their interpretation of civil (united fans getting sarcastic abuse designed to infuriate, but technically something that could be accepted on this forum as not breaking the rules, kinda like getting off a DD offence on a technicality) . .

Take it to helpdesk.
    This is a thread to discuss the need for new players at man utd, or not depending on your viewpoint.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement