Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping on planes!

Options
  • 07-04-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Anyone got any tips - which don't involve booze - for sleeping on an Etihad flight to Sydney from Dub?! Have never been able to sleep for very long (or at all really - more just dozing!) on planes - so any tips? I hear Piriton (anti-allergy tabs) is good for making you drowsy! Anyone got any experiences?

zzzzzz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Dont know of any real tips except for darkness and quiet...and sleeping tablets! Im way too tall to be comfortabe in economy class so I generally try pop a sleeping tablet just after the first meal and doze off during a movie. The last time I came down to NZ I only managed to fall asleep just as they were turning back on the lights for breakfast though :(

Avoid booze as you say, it just makes you dehydrated and feeling crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Only get an hour or two sleep the night before you fly! Be extremly tired when boarding plane. My OH does this then one glass of wine on plane and she is knocked out, thank god I can fall asleep almost anywhere as numerous drinking buddies will tell you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

about 3 valium.
    At least if you don't sleep you won't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

i tried the not sleeping before a flight once or twice before but noticed it causes me to have a throbbing pain during the flight at some point. luckily i can doze off most times. movies and beer for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Anyone got any tips - which don't involve booze - for sleeping on an Etihad flight to Sydney from Dub?! Have never been able to sleep for very long (or at all really - more just dozing!) on planes - so any tips? I hear Piriton (anti-allergy tabs) is good for making you drowsy! Anyone got any experiences?

zzzzzz

Piriton will wipe you out. Be very careful taking these on a long-haul flight - you might find yourself disorientated, dopey and woozy, and find it very difficult to manage your flight change in whatever part of the world you're changing planes! Seriously, pirition can have effects that are extremely difficult to shake off. Buy a packet and take one at home if you want, to see how they affect you, but don't be tempted to take the maximum dose (three tablets) or you'll be off your biccie for nearly 24 hours (and it's not even fun, you'll just be confused, cranky and feel dopey).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

a big feed of dutch biscuits at the airport on the way.....just wash your hands and don't take a dump the whole way there. You'll be sweet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Only time I've managed to fall asleep on a flight was after a full day in NZ, then awake for the flight to HK which got diverted and another day away in Taiwan, then on the flight back to HK I fell asleep the moment that I sat down and didn't wake up until they were preparing to land again. Was annoyed that I'd missed the feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

have you considered staying up the entire night beforehand ?

i managed to get to sleep on a long haul flight once, after which i found out that the other 2 guys i was travelling with found 2 whole rows further back it he plane which were empty where they could lie down and stretch out !

A good set of ear plugs and one of thsoe eye covers might help too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The last time I did it was a late afternoon flight to Heathrow via Singapore, Put a movie on and get the meal over done with ....but drink very little just a little water. (saves having urge to go for a piss) Took a diazepam and goodnight Irene... wake up about an hour before Singapore.

Did the same on the next leg once I got the meal over with dropped my medication.... the whole flight felt like about 4 hours.

The only way to travel until they invent teleportation .....is to anesthetize yourself,

10mg of Normison is handy as it makes you relaxed, you can stay awake but time just flies by.

Advertisement