Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Sensor

Options
  • 07-04-2010 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where i can get an outdoor 12 volt sensor which controls 2 500 watt lights. Basically at the moment there is 2 outdoor motion sensors wired in alarm cable back to the attic. These are connected to some sort of relay system which turns on two outdoor floodlights. The problem is the last few wks the lights stay on all the time. Not sure if its problem with sensor or relay in attic. Where can i get these type of sensors or relay system. Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The problem could be with either. When the lights are on disconnect the sensors one by one and see if the lights switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Are you sure they are 12v sensors. If they are then GJD make some good but expensive ones.
    I would also check the contacts of the relay as it sounds like they are sticking or permantly energised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks. Yes defo 12 volt. I think its the contacts of the relay too. The present one in the attic has 6 terminals - 2 12 volt which powers the sensor, 1 signal from sensor, 1 signal to sensor, 2 are 230 volt which powers up the light. Do you know where i could get one of these and what are they called is it just a relay with timer sysytem?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

best thing to do is as op said see if u can narrow it down to sensor or relay when u find out take it with you to wholesalers or watever is the best way of finding what you are lookin for

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can you post a picture of it?

• Advertisement

Sorry cant post picture. Relay in attic is about size of cig box. One side is 7.7 volt to sensor head, trigger and daylight sensor terminals. Other end says relay contacts 230 volt and above that says 'light on time' min to max. Has anyone come across these or where can i get one i think its this not the outdoor sensors that is faulty
    Thanks for advice

Sounds like an Aritech relay card. If so there is a red LED on the unit. If this is lit when the light is on the sensors are switching the light. If the LED is off the relay is sticking.

Thanks koolkid where would i get one of these and have u any idea of price.
    Thanks in advance

I have not seen them /used then in about 5-6 years.
    We would be replacing these with GJD Sensors & controllers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you can't get the parts you want there is another solution:

Use 230 volt PIRs and have them switching a contactor and a relay. The contactor could have the lights on it and the relay could be used to switch a 12 VDC signal to the alarm panel.

You could get away without the contactor, but using it will extend the life of the PIRs. 1000 watts of halogen lights switching on together takes a fair whack of current for an instant. This can cause other problems.

• Advertisement

Some Steinel sensors are good for 1kW.
    You could get some relays to do the same job as the old relay card but it may not be worth the hassle.
    Best bet would be to get some 230V Steinel sensors and replace what you have

2011 wrote: »
    If you can't get the parts you want there is another solution:

Use 230 volt PIRs and have them switching a contactor and a relay. The contactor could have the lights on it and the relay could be used to switch a 12 VDC signal to the alarm panel.

You could get away without the contactor, but using it will extend the life of the PIRs. 1000 watts of halogen lights switching on together takes a fair whack of current for an instant. This can cause other problems.
    Jnealon wrote: »
    Some Steinel sensors are good for 1kW.
    You could get some relays to do the same job as the old relay card but it may not be worth the hassle.
    Best bet would be to get some 230V Steinel sensors and replace what you have
    I think the problem for the OP is that there is low voltage cabeling inplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya

he can't replace with 'mains pirs' on the existing cable obviously

he might be able to stick in an ip rated box and wire 2 pirs in nym-j-bypassing the controller

it's a 2 second job to diagnose faulty pir or relay

koolkid wrote: »
    In that case I go with the first thing I said and use relays.
    Either way the op has a few different options to choose from

The existing Aritech heads can't be connected directly to relays. If they were replaced with GJD/Opal heads that would be an option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, I know your suggestion may suit better. I was just giving an alternative option if suitable materials could not be obtained or they were too expensive.

I have seen "point to point" outdoor sensors for big money!

Thanks for all very helpful replies. I cant without alot of extra work replace PIRs with main voltage PIRs as its already wired in low voltage cable. I suspect problem is relay in the attic. So to summarise can I just get a new relay for attic (and if so whats it called or where can it be got) without having to replace both the PIRs.

Thanks

Hi John,
    The existing sensors will not switch a relay directly. Again you need to establish if its a sensor giving a false reading or the the relay sticking which is causing the light to stay on. When the light stays on is the red LED on the controller in the attic on or off?
    If it is on then there is a signal from the sensors activating it. In this case try disconnecting each sensor one at a time to identify which one is the problem. If the LED stays off & the light stays on then the relay on board the controller is faulty & is sticking. In this case the only option is to replace the unit. To fit a relay to directly switch the lights you would need a sensor like the GJD/Opal that I linked to earlier in this thread.

Advertisement