Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sanshou (Chinese Kickboxing)

• 07-04-2010 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Anyone any experience in this? Interested in taking it up, a lot more convenient travel wise as I find it hard getting to Muay thai classes. Seems like a good sport, anybody in here do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I think there is a club near the Guinness brewery in the liberties. I also think one of the lads from there posts here.

It has a website, I forget the name though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I think there is a club near the Guinness brewery in the liberties. I also think one of the lads from there posts here.

It has a website, I forget the name though:o

Nah im in south dublin, was lookin at the one in Deansgrange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Yip.
    It's a good full-contact martial art, just taking off here in Ireland competitively. Stand-up fighting with kicking, boxing and fast throws; so there's a wrestling element involved.
    Paul in Deansgrange is an excellent coach and they're a good bunch of lads there.

Here's a taster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

Niall Keane is probably the man you want to talk to on boards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=56569

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

http://www.ymaa.ie/

I second Maybelogic, Paul Moran's club would be the one for you softies southsiders. :D
    See Link above!

There's some clips of Irish sanshou (ICBA) on our own site here:

http://sanshou.webs.com/videoclips.htm

ICBA site is currently down and being revamped, next competition will be in August in Mayo. (West Coast Open)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

If sanshou is what you are after in that area then paul is your man. If you are looking for Muay Thai check out Mike Dockery's Warriors Muay Thai Gym, monkstown, who shares premises with us.
    http://www.warriorsthaiboxing.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Thanks lads, gonna give it a try, anyone actually done it any tales to tell about it? I know very little about it.

We're just back from the UK Koushu Championships on Sunday, picked up the gold in -65kg (Karl Kidd), the silver in -75kg (Declan Gannon) and before having to retire from the comp due to an unfortunate injury Wayne Marshall beat the current BCCMA sanshou champ. It was Wayne's first international competition. So we've been competing in Wudang Sanshou / Practical Tai Chi Chuan Ireland since '93, Dan Docherty 1980 Open Weight SE Asian champ taught us, he in turn was taught by Cheng Tin-Hung 1957 champion of Hong Kong and Tiawan. So there's a long history and wealth of experience in Ireland. For a while we were out on our own, but there are loads of clubs now engaged in the sport here in Ireland such as Paul Moran's that we spoke of (I believe he's a few guys fighting in Portugal quite soon) and all those involved here cooperate well - competing against and training with each other.

Currently you can break up the formats like this:
    Sanshou - the term generally now used for amateur, Sanda being generally used for pro. This also refers to China's sport and is controled there by IWUF International Wushu Federation. Their amateur rules adopt 3 X 2minute rounds, head gear, chest protectors and shin guards are required, although these rules change every few years. Usually this is fought on mats. Although soetimes on Lei Tais (raised platforms without ropes / cage. Hands can be wrapped. 10 ounce glove. Clinch restricted to 3-5 seconds. This is the format adopted by ICBA

Semi-Pro Sanshou / Sanda is usually fought in a ring groin guard and gum shield the only protection, hands can be taped, 4 x 3 minute rounds. Elbows and knees allowed. 10 ounce glove. Clinch restricted to 5 seconds but knees in clinch allow time to continue.

Pro Sanshou / Sanda either ring or Lei Tai, as semi-pro but 5 x 3minute rounds, also it is fully acceptable to throw someone out and over the ropes if fight is in a boxing ring. In semi-pro they generally discourage this.

Kuoshu (Tiawan) IKF main organisation in amateur 10 ounce gloves, no protection save gumshield and groin guard, elbows and knees allowed. It's a bit tougher than amateur sanshou. In pro level 4 ounce gloves or those padded mits are used. both have 3 x 3minute rounds.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

HI CHILLAXE, here is a list of sanshou clubs that have produced national champions, i hope it's of some help to you...

ROYAL COMBAT CLUB.MEATH..
    POINT BLANK SUBMISSIONS.GALWAY...
    LI CHING WU.TIPPERARY & DUBLIN...
    GRASP MARTIAL ARTS. DUBLIN...
    SEIKAWA KARATE.DUBLIN...
    MOYVALLEY FREESTYLE, MAYO...
    PANKRATION, LIMERICK...

IF THERE IS ANYOTHERS THAT I FORGOT, IM SORRY, BUT I THINK , THATS IT...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Hey guys can't start a new thread for some reason!! I'm in the same situation as the OP. Posters for Sanshou have just gone up around the Herberton apartments area in d8 beside the gym and I would really be interested in taking it up. Anyone know anything about who,s running it or where it's at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 comikbookguy

Mike Dockerys Warriors Muay Thai club in Monkstown is very good they have some great young fighters both amature and pro and there are amautre and pro Muay Thai events held at least once a month in Ireland , the sanshou looks like a good sport but the Muay Thai in Ireland def more established and experienced good luck with whatever you choose

Cheers dude! Would rather train muay thai but there's no club close to Rialto as far as I know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 RogueFaye

u know how its funny in china now, if you were to visit a shaolin temple now and pay the fees, yea they'll teach u how to jump around and fling the swords etc , fancy moves for the circus. But if u were to tell them honestly you're here to learn to fight, they'll get someone to teach you SanDa, a lot of shaolin temple teaches SanDa now. It was never part of their system, its not even regard as a KungFu over there, but i guess they're trying to modernise things now.

Sanshou/Sanda is not a style , it's a competition format. there are a lot of clubs that say that they teach Sanshou/Sanda now but they never enter any Sanshou/Sanda competitions. Some even give grades in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Ug Lee

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    HI CHILLAXE, here is a list of sanshou clubs that have produced national champions, i hope it's of some help to you...

POINT BLANK SUBMISSIONS.GALWAY...

I didn't realise that Point Blank Submissions was a sanshou club. I thought they were a MMA club that sometimes entered sanshou competitions. If so then sanshou is merely a set of rules that have nothing to do with chinese martial arts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ug Lee wrote: »
    I didn't realise that Point Blank Submissions was a sanshou club. I thought they were a MMA club that sometimes entered sanshou competitions. If so then sanshou is merely a set of rules that have nothing to do with chinese martial arts.

By your logic, if an MMA lad entered a muay thai, Karate, or Judo comp, does this mean that muay thai, karate and judo are not styles of martial art? I think its great to see people entering into comps that use different formats with different rules, and that most competitions should be open to anyone who will abide by the rules. Good for the person entering to mix it up a bit, good for other competitors tackling something different, good for a competition to have more people entering.

I see the upcoming sanshou comp has a shuai jiao section (chinese jacket wrestling). It would be interesting to see if its open to judoka, and if so, how they'd do.

Ug Lee wrote: »

PBS is not a sanshou club, it's a mma club , but they have entered sanshou competition, sanshou is a chinese fighting format that is used so fighters that come from different styles can fight each other under one rule set, and it's open to anybody..

There's nothing really new under the sun, Sanshou means scattering arms, or "free fighting"
    Nowadays there are cultural acceptance for what words mean and these can change from culture to culture.
    Take tai chi Chuan, it means supreme ultimate fist if translated directly, but the supreme ultimate is the name of the yin yang symbol, so really it means yin yang fighting system, now move it west a few thousand miles from Wudang mountain an it becomes an exercise like chi gung, where those teachin it often don't realise it's a martial art!
    Typically Kung fu refers to traditional martial arts practice, as opposed to wushu which is often an exaggerated performance art based on martial arts. But kung Fu simply means time and effort, and wushu means military art. Go figure?
    Most traditional styles break their system up into parts, so tai chi Chuan for example has five elements, Chuan or hand form a collection of techniques placed in sequence as counters or recovery options, Nei gung - exercises that train the bodies movement and awareness, tui shou partnered training to
    ingrain tactics, weapons, and Sanshou - free fighting and technique practice.

Now Sanshou typically refers to a competition format too. Usually amateur, Sanda typically being used as te term for pro, sanda means scattering strikes!
    The original conclusion / fighting method was to compete or challenge on a platform a lei tai and this was the original term used for this type of competition. The platform is typically a meter high and 8m x 8m quite large. Originally if you were forced off you lost, but originally weapons could also be used in challenges.
    Today various organisations have varying rules, whether only clean throws score, or whether you have 15 seconds on the ground to conclude, whether or not elbows and knees are allowed, amateur Kuoshu allows for them but only pro Sanshou, I should explain that, Sanhou is what the peoples republic calls it, koushu what taiwain calls it. Some use body protection in amateur others do not.
    I called my club Wudang Sanshou as what I teach is Wudang Tai Chi Chuan, and I kind of got fed up with dissappointing pensioners who were turning up for some gentle stretching :-)
    Of course as most here know we compete alot internationally since the early 90's in all forms of Sanshou amateur, semi-pro and pro.

Now as much as I try to be clear in what I teach, when designing a poster, and let people know what to expect, as my teachers teacher used to say the world of martial arts is the world of truth and lies, sounds pretty cool in Cantonese, anyway Sanshou is growing in this country, alot of people who are posters here are to thank for that, long may it continue, but there will be those willing to cash in, and use the traditional meaning of Sanshou being a training method par of their system to draw people through the door, allowing the impression that what they do sometimes a coordinated dance of techniques is the same as the rigorous training a Sanshou athlete must go through. Sad really!
    Anyway OP we are down on Bridge Street on Sundays, just the other end of Marrowbone lane really from Rialto.
    www.sanshou.webs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ufcdaily

looks pretty good wonder do any ufc fighters practice sanshou, i wouldnt mind going to a class

There's nothing really new under the sun, Sanshou means scattering arms, or "free fighting"
    Nowadays there are cultural acceptance for what words mean and these can change from culture to culture.
    Take tai chi Chuan, it means supreme ultimate fist if translated directly, but the supreme ultimate is the name of the yin yang symbol, so really it means yin yang fighting system, now move it west a few thousand miles from Wudang mountain an it becomes an exercise like chi gung, where those teachin it often don't realise it's a martial art!
    Typically Kung fu refers to traditional martial arts practice, as opposed to wushu which is often an exaggerated performance art based on martial arts. But kung Fu simply means time and effort, and wushu means military art. Go figure?
    Most traditional styles break their system up into parts, so tai chi Chuan for example has five elements, Chuan or hand form a collection of techniques placed in sequence as counters or recovery options, Nei gung - exercises that train the bodies movement and awareness, tui shou partnered training to
    ingrain tactics, weapons, and Sanshou - free fighting and technique practice.

Now Sanshou typically refers to a competition format too. Usually amateur, Sanda typically being used as te term for pro, sanda means scattering strikes!
    The original conclusion / fighting method was to compete or challenge on a platform a lei tai and this was the original term used for this type of competition. The platform is typically a meter high and 8m x 8m quite large. Originally if you were forced off you lost, but originally weapons could also be used in challenges.
    Today various organisations have varying rules, whether only clean throws score, or whether you have 15 seconds on the ground to conclude, whether or not elbows and knees are allowed, amateur Kuoshu allows for them but only pro Sanshou, I should explain that, Sanhou is what the peoples republic calls it, koushu what taiwain calls it. Some use body protection in amateur others do not.
    I called my club Wudang Sanshou as what I teach is Wudang Tai Chi Chuan, and I kind of got fed up with dissappointing pensioners who were turning up for some gentle stretching :-)
    Of course as most here know we compete alot internationally since the early 90's in all forms of Sanshou amateur, semi-pro and pro.

Now as much as I try to be clear in what I teach, when designing a poster, and let people know what to expect, as my teachers teacher used to say the world of martial arts is the world of truth and lies, sounds pretty cool in Cantonese, anyway Sanshou is growing in this country, alot of people who are posters here are to thank for that, long may it continue, but there will be those willing to cash in, and use the traditional meaning of Sanshou being a training method par of their system to draw people through the door, allowing the impression that what they do sometimes a coordinated dance of techniques is the same as the rigorous training a Sanshou athlete must go through. Sad really!
    Anyway OP we are down on Bridge Street on Sundays, just the other end of Marrowbone lane really from Rialto.
    www.sanshou.webs.com
    Hey Niall! I had looked up your website and class locations.
    As I'm not driving I would only be able to attend on Sundays which woudn't really suit and anyway I don't think training once a week would really be worth my while?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Grasshoppa

ufcdaily wrote: »
    looks pretty good wonder do any ufc fighters practice sanshou, i wouldnt mind going to a class

Cung Le cut his teeth at Sanshou before entering the UFC.

I think Patrick Barry might be another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

[pedantism]Cung Le fights for Strikeforce, not UFC[/pedantism]

Advertisement