Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to have as party food?

Options
  • 07-04-2010 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im doing food for my mothers party which is coming up in a few weeks.
    I have to make food for 200 people. Im going to make lovely gourmet sandwiches, but i want to do something else other than cocktail sausages, chicken goujans etc...

Does anyone have any ideas of what to put onto the platter on each table?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mini quiches went down an absolute storm when I made them for my 30th party

Buy some of them small tin foil cases, whack together a load of pastry and blind bake it in the cases, then add some filling, here's my recipe

lardons, finely chopped mushrooms, finely chopped onion fried together, add to the pastry cases with some cheese, fill with beaten egg and stick a slice of tomato on the top, back into the oven until the egg cooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Sounds lovely! Yeah quiches sound like a winner and theyre so tasty too!
    Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 crazy.daisy

I always think people want something hot when they're having a few drinks, so maybe some mini pizzas? you can make them on pittas with a nice spicy tomato sauce, mozzarella and a drizzle of pesto (nevin maguire recipe). You're right about the deep fried stuff though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I always think people want something hot when they're having a few drinks, so maybe some mini pizzas? you can make them on pittas with a nice spicy tomato sauce, mozzarella and a drizzle of pesto (nevin maguire recipe). You're right about the deep fried stuff though!
    buffet
    salmon, crab, ham, lamb, beef, all cooked the day before also chicken.
    nice homemade colslaw, potato salad. tuna fish salad eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I've seen the following at various parties, and all went down well...

Cottage/shepards pie / Lasagne / Curry / pizza
    Cockatail sausages / chicken / beef / ham / salmon / Chips / nuggets / fish fingers / onion rings / vaul le vonts / baked tomatoes
    Coleslaw / Egg Salad / Tossed salad / Cheese / stuffed peppers / tuna & sweetcorn / rolls / gerlic bread

Theres a few more, when I think of them I'll post them.

The usual crisps, sweets, chocolate, minerals, alcohol, ice cream / ice pops etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I've seen the following at various parties, and all went down well...

Cottage/shepards pie / Lasagne / Curry / pizza
    Cockatail sausages / chicken / beef / ham / salmon / Chips / nuggets / fish fingers / onion rings / vaul le vonts / baked tomatoes
    Coleslaw / Egg Salad / Tossed salad / Cheese / stuffed peppers / tuna & sweetcorn / rolls / gerlic bread

Theres a few more, when I think of them I'll post them.

The usual crisps, sweets, chocolate, minerals, alcohol, ice cream / ice pops etc
    very good list
    giving great ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Stuffed Mushrooms are easy to make and a bit different from cocktail sausages :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭NotSoDumbBlonde

Crostini with Prosciutto, Mozzarella & Pesto:-

Easily made the day of the party and tastes just as good cold as it does hot. Just buy a load of baguettes, slice them up, lather on some pesto, a slice of prosciutto or ham, a sprinkle of moz and throw under the grill! Not messy either - guests can just pick up and munch!

Mini burgers are also a good idea for large parties!

M&S do some great party food - you could get some ideas from them and make the dishes yourself!!

Middle-eastern inspired nibbles are simple to make/prepare too! Stuffed vine-leaves/falafel/mini pitta breads with hummus and olives etc!!

does anyone know where i can buy lots of mini quiches?
    Also, does anyone know a place where i can buy buffet plates and little cups i can put sauces and dips in?

thanks for the tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭NotSoDumbBlonde

JajaD wrote: »
    does anyone know where i can buy lots of mini quiches?
    Also, does anyone know a place where i can buy buffet plates and little cups i can put sauces and dips in?

thanks for the tips!

I think Tesco do a range of mini-quiches in boxes of 12 or 24 (I remember picking up a few boxes over Xmas but I was preparing for a party last week and I couldnt find them so they might not do them anymore). They're not gourmet but they're tasty. I'm sure M&S have mini-quiches!!

As for buffet plates etc - again, Tesco have a simple range of such things but you could always go to Ikea and i'm sure you'd find a much wider range of party paraphernalia! Dunnes probably have a line of disposable party stuff too!

• Advertisement

Brilliant.. thanks for your help NSDB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

You can get party plates etc in any of the Euro shops. I had a party last week and one of the things I made was devoured.
    Chicken,chorizo and sundried tomatoes on cocktails sticks. Just cut the chicken and chorizo into small bite size pieces and fry them. I used a jar of sundried tomatoes from Lidl, just put pieces of the 3 ingredients on a stick and away you go !

thanks Jos28 ...great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Flafel is pretty easy to make. Chicken thighs/drumsticks cooked off in the oven, finished on the BBQ and let cool are very tasty. Turkey or lamb kebabs are also easy and very tasty.

You could also do big salads -
    Pasta, pesto & pine nuts
    Potato salad
    Cous cous & roasted veg

All very cheap & cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

wee recipie i came up for a party i was cooking for at home

Buy a big roll of philo pasty and fold them it into a baking tray used for cup cakes/buns

Fill tarts with goat cheese/roasted walnuts and finley sliced crispy streaky bacon and serve with a rocket/avacado and honey and mustard dressing.

You can make them the night before and they take about 7 minutes to cook in a fan oven,really easy and really tasty finger food

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

We were struggling to find something to make for my brother's birthday.

We decided upon tapas - there are LOTS of recipes, and most are perfect for a party setting.

We even sourced a whole Serrano ham from Orce Serrano Hams as the centre-piece!

The recipes are attached as a pdf, but see what you think of the pics first: http://www.chilliandchocolate.com/recipe-eamanns-spanish-tapas-birthday-party/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was at a party recently and there were lovely wraps with smoked salmon and cream cheese,just cut up into small enough pieces for party food,simple and very nice.
    Another that usually goes down well is prawns in filo pastry.
    I saw at one these small kebabs,a variety of chicken or beef or prawn with some peppers and what not,was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Advertisement