Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Spica with Android or iPhone

Options
  • 07-04-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

Three have just got two new phones and I'm due an upgrade but I can't decide which on to go for. They now have the Samsung Spica with an Android platform and iPhones (only from yesterday I think - not up on their website yet). I think I have to pay a bit extra for the iPhone but the Spica would be free on my plan. I'm swaying towards the iPhone, anyone care to pass on their experience of either phone?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Had a Spica for the last few months on o2.Very different device to an Iphone,obviously...from a quality point of view but a great little phone for the price.Having being a windows mobile user for years I found the Android OS refreshing,app store has plenty of free apps,phone can be flashed(up to os2.1 at the minute) easily if your that way inclined,gps works reasonable well out of the box,fantastic if you use multiple gmail accounts.Screen is only average tho and the 3.2 camera is basic to say the least oh and the pc software that it comes with is pure junk.
    Not a fan of A**le though,nice products but locked down too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

BROWNE51 wrote: »
    Had a Spica for the last few months on o2.Very different device to an Iphone,obviously...from a quality point of view but a great little phone for the price.Having being a windows mobile user for years I found the Android OS refreshing,app store has plenty of free apps,phone can be flashed(up to os2.1 at the minute) easily if your that way inclined,gps works reasonable well out of the box,fantastic if you use multiple gmail accounts.Screen is only average tho and the 3.2 camera is basic to say the least oh and the pc software that it comes with is pure junk.
    Not a fan of A**le though,nice products but locked down too much.

I went for the Spica anyway (mainly due to cost). I like the ability to use apps but I find the phone doesn't do too well on the basics... like making phone calls and text. The ability for it to sync so easily with my Google Apps account is a definite bonus though.

The software it comes with is incredibly bad, I still haven't worked out how to download photos to my pc. Overall it's an average phone and I might yet revert to my old reliable Nokia E63.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

The software it comes with is incredibly bad, I still haven't worked out how to download photos to my pc.

The only way that I succeeded in doing that was to take the micro SD card out, insert it in the holder that Samsung supply and read it from your PC.

Apparently 2.1 will allow bluetooth transfer - maybe another month or so for the legit install...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 geetha

I have been using the samsung spica for a few months now. The touch srceen is very responsive. Android is a great operating system for phones. Loads of free apps on the market. I am using a 16 Gb memory card with the phone so ample storage space for my music. I am using 3 music player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-ezu7AE5s&feature=player_embedded]). The phone works seamlessly with my gmail account. All in all its a great phone and value for money.

Its v easy to download photos from phone. Install the PC studio (I agree this samsung software is junk, but this will install the usb drivers). Now when you connect the phone to the pc you will see a USB connected notification on the Android notification topbar. Select mount to view the memory card on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

BROWNE51 wrote: »
    Android OS ...,phone can be flashed(up to os2.1 at the minute) easily if your that way inclined

Is it easy to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1?

I am tempted to buy this phone but only if its just a matter of updating via computer and through a Samsung or android official site.

Thanks

It should be easy to upgrade to 2.1 once the update is available in ireland through Samsung. The upgrade is only available for Spica in Germany at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

Does anyone know if you can use the phone for tethering? If I could tether from it I'd be a convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Does anyone know if you can use the phone for tethering? If I could tether from it I'd be a convert.
    I dunno about how Samsung implements tethering but on my HTC Desire I just connect to usb and it comes with a list and one of them is "Internet Sharing"

There is an app called PDANet on the market which may work as well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

The Spica on 3 is Android 2.1 I was talking to a Samsung rep and she said it was exclusive to 3Ireland.

Erm... Personally I would go for Android as it seems to be more future proof that an Iphone.
    IE. no matter what manufacturer you go for your stuff will be compatable and can be sync'd

And anyway I dont like the Igadget(iphone)

The spica not hugely spec'd but either does the iphone (app store is good but then again android has the market)

So for me Spica (and i really never liked samsung)

• Advertisement
Advertisement