Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It can be done.......stick with it.

Options
  • 07-04-2010 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I realised earlier that I quit cigarettes 10 months ago today!! :D

I was ill with a hangover - and somewhere through the haze it realised that I hadn't smoked that day....and survived.
    So I decided to see if I'd survive again the following day - and I did.

There are times when it's hard. But if definately is mind over matter - keeping those nicotine demons in your head at bay.

I'm never saying never.....but so far so good.

There is nobody more shocked than me that I haven't had a smoke in all that time.

So, stick with it. It's so worth it!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Any time I had a hangover the first thing I did was reach for a cigarette :D

Congrats on your 10 months. I look forward to the 7th June for your first anniversary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

well done ellie.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

10 months is great, well done! You should plan to really treat yourself when you hit the year mark and do something special!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

well done ellie im just starting my 3rd week of them and finding it really difficult because my mind is playing tricks on me and im thinking will it always be like this even in 3 months will i be saying god id love a fag:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Miss_Ellie

Hi Deaglan,

I know it can be difficult. And the thing is it is just mind games. Finding a distraction for the craving is key.....go for a quick walk, turn on the radio and dance to a song, phone a pal, clean the bathroom, go to bed and read a book - whatever it takes!!!

It does get easier - I promise.
    What you will probably find is that you will have a time when you really crave a cigarette. Mine is when I am totally relaxed.....I'd chew my arm off to have one!! Even now.

But I don't beat myself up over them. I take one day at a time.

I hope that helps a little. You're doing great!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

gave up 12 years ago......30 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I gave up over a year ago, 14 months to be exact, I used Champix for a month before I gave up and a month after. Giving up was no problem really. I still think about them every now and again but never tempted. Although strangely, I do smoke in my dreams at night and wake up feeling guilty :D

If anybody is thinking about giving them up, go for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

thanks for help and support im determined to give them up so i think thats a big plus what im thinking of doing is learning guitar i bought one before christmas and it has sat in corner ever since would be good fag distractor:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think that is one of the best times to give up, in the middle of a hangover where you smoked way too much the night before. I am off them (again) now heading for a month & it's not too bad. Gum and patches when needed and no major probs. I think it helps to stay away from people who do smoke for the first while, also away from pubs where the temptation may be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

I'm 10 weeks in. Still get the odd craving, but nowhere near as intense as they were after say 2 weeks and much more infrequent.

The key for me is realizing how sick smoking a full cigarette would make me feel- much much worse than putting up with the cravings, which at this stage only last about 10 seconds thank god.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

EI111 wrote: »
    I'm 10 weeks in. Still get the odd craving, but nowhere near as intense as they were after say 2 weeks and much more infrequent.

Good stuff. The cravings will come back again - when you least expect it. Last month I got some mad cravings and this postdemonstrates one explanation as to why.

A friend of mine is a non-smoking smoker for about 10 years now. He tells me that the cravings never really go away. They do weaken considerably but every now and again he sees someone smoking and feels a fond memory for his old friend. But it's only a fond memory rather than a strong craving. So stick with it brother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Gallagher5

Stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Great post Macros42;)

Im 6 weeks off them now..
    Everyday is hard but distraction is the only thing that works.
    e.g. I now knit when I have friends over for dinner/drinks..
    I look like a plonker but don't care.
    I'm amazed that I haven't put on a pound in weight either.
    I made a conscious effort not to change my diet (just cos I was off the fags) and it seems to have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 partyfeet

I quit about 6 years ago ,, oh the freedom :D.
    And the jogging, the missing stink (sorry) and
    all that money saved . Easy peasy way to go .
    Well done yourself Hun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

I can't count how many times I've been off the fags over the last few years and I constantly end up back smoking :(
    I've tried patches, gum (yuk), acupuncture I've even had 'I promise you' tattooed on my arm in Irish as a promise to my kids not to smoke again.
    I kept that promise for a few weeks and it still haunts me wen I have a fag now:mad:
    I need to quit and stay quit!

When you 'fall off the wagon' with smoking you just beat yourself up more and more.
    Then you go into panic mode.
    Then the little nicotine gremlins become your best friends - cause they're telling you 'see you will always fail and we'll always be here waiting. You're friends and family will give out to you and be disappointed but we'll always welcome you back'.

You DO know that's all a ploy.
    Seriously, the most difficult part of quitting is in your head.
    You need to ready yourself. Think about your smoking - why you do it, when you do it, where you do it. Analyze it over a period of time.
    Think of the benefits from it. Think how you feel before, during and after.

I was off cigarettes for 5 months in 2008. Then I went back on them....I called it a 'relapse'. It lasted 12 months!!

When I went off them last time I just decided to try and see how I'd do.
    I take one day, one hour at a time.
    If I want one I tell myself I'll have it in an hours time.....do you know I've never wanted one when the hour passed.

You must be ready to do it. You need your strength to fend off the gremlins.

You are actually drawing away from them....they know that.....that's why they keep pulling you back. Tis like tug'o'war!!!

I'm gonna set a new giving up date. I think Monday is good cos it def won't work over the weekend. Fingers crossed this time!
    (kinda hard to hold a fag with ur fingers crossed eh?) :D

Best of luck with Monday mig mag.
    Let us know how you get on.

Try to find an ex-smoker pal who can reassure you when things get tough.

Or pop on here - I'm sure somebody will be around to give moral support.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

When I quit i drank 4 cans for the first three nights off the cigs, because my enthusiasm was so high at the start i figured i could do it.
    I think it helped as i got used to having a few drinks with no cigs at the start.
    Different strokes for different folks though.

EI111 wrote: »
    When I quit i drank 4 cans for the first three nights off the cigs, because my enthusiasm was so high at the start i figured i could do it.
    I think it helped as i got used to having a few drinks with no cigs at the start.
    Different strokes for different folks though.

Well it's the first time I've heard of that approach, But it kinda makes sense :D
    Just as long as I don't end up swapping one habit for another! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

It is most definitely a mind over matter issue.
    You have to discipline yourself and learn to say no.

I am off the cigs 64 days. I found it extremely difficult in the first week. The second week was hard too but I find now that I am no longer constantly thinking about them. Initially, everything I did involved a cig whether it was receiving bad news, or good news, having a cuppa, after eating and the cig was the finishing touch.

You have to stick with it. As a previous poster said - if you relapse, just think of it as a hiccup but be determined to stay off them.

If you really really want to, you can. If you need help its there but you need to also have the co-operation of your mind as well. Good luck to all. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    It is most definitely a mind over matter issue.
    You have to discipline yourself and learn to say no.

I am off the cigs 64 days. I found it extremely difficult in the first week. The second week was hard too but I find now that I am no longer constantly thinking about them. Initially, everything I did involved a cig whether it was receiving bad news, or good news, having a cuppa, after eating and the cig was the finishing touch.

You have to stick with it. As a previous poster said - if you relapse, just think of it as a hiccup but be determined to stay off them.

If you really really want to, you can. If you need help its there but you need to also have the co-operation of your mind as well. Good luck to all. ;)

You're still counting in days :D

Couldn't agree more though, it's mind over matter

Ok so Monday didn't go so well. I found myself having a fag while I was trying to think of something to do to distract myself! :o
    Just got off the phone with a hypnotherapist tho and I have an appointment for 10.00 Tue morning.
    One 3 hour session and apparently I'll walk out of there and just not want to smoke!
    Hope it works, I'm running out of ways to try and nothing else is working.
    I'm looking forward to it tho and I'll let ye know how it goes :)

Well done to everyone who's managed to go off them and best of luck to those who are thinking about it :D

CoalBucket wrote: »
    You're still counting in days :D

I know! Its because of the site www.giveupsmoking.ie
    It counts in days, otherwise I would have no idea how long I was off them now..... which is a good sign i think :p

Hi guys, So I had the hypnotherapy at 10am on Tuesday and I haven't had a fag since! yippee! :D
    Its been fairly easy actually, or at least easier than I was expecting.
    Been having like 2 second pangs of 'this wud be fag time', but no real cravings.
    Had a fight with husband today and he smokes so the fags were handy but I just cracked it and threw it in the bin, I didn't even think 'what a waste' which I usually would have.
    Hope all is going well with ye. Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'm off them since Sept 21st 2009... I remember because I was at a gig the night before:) 1 week before I started college too, I thoughtnow or never. I smoked a packet a day for 3 years whilst in school (i know thats nothing compared to some people) bujtits worth it - I can workout properly, don't smell etc etc. :) Keep at it everyone, its hard at the start but if you've the support of friends and family it gets easy. Perhaps join a gym or take up a hobby to keep your mind off things? I'll never EVER smoke again... i find it easy on nights out drunk or not, my gfs mate smokes and we'd go to the smoking room to say hi and i'd be out of breath in a few seconds.... best desicion ever, IT CAN BE DONE!

Edit - over 7 months and it feels like years :D

edit 2 - I went on the inhalorabout 2 years ago, workedfor 3 weeks and was like feck it its still nicotine so went back on the smokes then... I don't believe in those nicorette gimmicks but if it helps your cravings then go for it!

edit 3 (sorry :D) - If anyone asks you do you have a smoke dont say '' i gave them up'', say ''i stopped smoking''. A great bit of advice I got.

rizzee wrote: »

edit 3 (sorry :D) - If anyone asks you do you have a smoke dont say '' i gave them up'', say ''i stopped smoking''. A great bit of advice I got.

Excellent advise there rizzee, thanks. Am going to say that anymore. I gave them up makes you feel like your missing something. I stopped smoking makes you feel it was your decision and your happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Excellent advise there rizzee, thanks. Am going to say that anymore. I gave them up makes you feel like your missing something. I stopped smoking makes you feel it was your decision and your happy with it.

Thats exactly it, also feels good to say it to yourself, gives you a boost and makes you feel good about yourself :D Good luck!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

Hey all,

I am off the smokes nearly 7 weeks at this stage, it feels weird and I do still want one at times but I not realise that it is my choice not to smoke and it will remain like that for the rest of my life. I chose to smoke for 15years and now I choose not to.

Does that make sense?

• Advertisement

Matches wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am off the smokes nearly 7 weeks at this stage, it feels weird and I do still want one at times but I not realise that it is my choice not to smoke and it will remain like that for the rest of my life. I chose to smoke for 15years and now I choose not to.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely and well done!
    You are no longer been controlled by cigarettes and are not wondering when your next cig will be so you are in total control and its your choice!

I am now training myself to be around people who smoke and not let it affect me.... and it is working. When people go for a cig, I go with them.
    I would only advise doing this tho if you are sure you are able to as it can be a form of torture if you let it...

Advertisement