Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

capacitors

Options
  • 07-04-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

lads i know i might sound daft here.im a 2nd yr apprentice,3rd yr next month and some fella i know has a big compressor and asked me to fix it.it has a capacitor in it and the misserable ****er doesnt want to buy a new one and wants me to try fix it.how do ya find out if it is ****ed?

the fact that i am out of work for a yr could be an excuse as to not know how a capicator is ****ed......:)
    ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you have a multimeter with a capacitor tester, put it on it and see what comes back.
    Otherwise you'll have to compare the charge on it with a working one (by adding a load for example).

Oh - just found this:
    http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

ta mate.plenty of reading on that link.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I'm guessing its electrolytic capacitor ( +- written on it).
    THey mostly fail by going open circuit.
    Check the resitvity on it it. It should start with a low restivity then rise to open circuit. Switch the probes around and the same should happen again.

Generally if it is open circuit all the time it is knackered. There are othertests for dielectric breakdown but the above would be a start.

Its been 20 years since i did that stuff so i hope this is of help.

aflib wrote: »
    ta mate.plenty of reading on that link.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Tell the miserable dog that it needs a new capacitor full stop. If he doesn't like that then let someone else fix it.

You'll end up spending more time there than the capacitor is worth

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

i ended up telling him to get a new one and he done a bit of huffing and puffing and giving out and i literaly told him to go **** off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

A brand new cap is only about 12 euro, would be easier and probably cheaper in the long run to replace it anyway

Advertisement