Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Sea and Resuce

Options
  • 07-04-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Tonight just goes to show that if air sea and rescue chopper had been taken away from Waterford they would not have been able to help in the search in Portlaw tonight.

RIP to the two people who died and condolences to the families.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

yeah,. was tough alright. its unbelievable really. any names released yet or where they were from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Can't find any information on this incident myself. Anybody got a link or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Hi folks, I just posted a thread about this on the County KK forum. I'm living in Mooncoin and we saw the Helicopter over us last night. It had the search lights on and was very low over the river.
    I don't know what happened and put up the thread just to see if anybody had any info.
    Just reading this thread I see that people are offering condolences to families. Very sad to hear this and offer any condolences myself.
    It just goes to show that its essential that the South-East has a search and rescue service.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Terrible tragedy, heard they were not from the area, probably did'nt know the currents in the river

• Advertisement

I also heard that they were foreign nationals but I can't say for sure.
    I would agree with you and say that they possibly didn't realise just how lethal that river can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Wouldn't be one for rumors of he said she said,

BUT i was informed that they were told by a local who he himself goes kayakimg regularly that the river was too swollen for such activities.

Don't know whats true etc so will see what comes up on news reports, but i'd imagine its talk of the town here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Narrow river the clodagh, life jackets on as well. Those Weirs can be deadly :( R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

montec wrote: »
    I also heard that they were foreign nationals
    Not true.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just after passing overhead there in Tramore. Near enough to the airport.

Hope all is okay anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully wrote: »
    Just after passing overhead there in Tramore. Near enough to the airport.

Hope all is okay anyway.

They went out with the Ballycotton lifeboat to rescue a chap after his fishing boat went down. He was found safe and well after getting into his life raft and setting off a distress flare. They are seriously busy over the past few days and showing they're badly needed.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0410/cork.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Trotter wrote: »
    They went out with the Ballycotton lifeboat to rescue a chap after his fishing boat went down. He was found safe and well after getting into his life raft and setting off a distress flare. They are seriously busy over the past few days and showing they're badly needed.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0410/cork.html
    Yeah they were out three times this week at night. Portlaw, Wexford and Ballycotton. Just goes to show how much they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

I think the goings on the past week and how the rescue chopper is needed down this way will hopefully show the decision was a correct one!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Eemia wrote: »
    I think the goings on the past week and how the rescue chopper is needed down this way will hopefully show the decision was a correct one!
    +1 to that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

Eemia wrote: »

Your dead right on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

They were out again this morning just off the Tramore/Waterford rd on the Dunmore rd by the shrine. Looked as if they were air lifting someone to the hospital. Police, Fire and Coast guard all in attendance..

Advertisement