Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considerate dog walkers

Options
  • 07-04-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

on my way home from work and i had my stream rod in the car as i always nearly do.and i decided with it being a cracking evening id head down to my local small stream,the dargle, to see if any brown trout were on the move.i wasted no time and started with a pheasent tail nymph working my way up to my fav pool.plenty of fish active with the warm weather .had a few plucks at the nypmh.some flys where hatching but only a couple of rises.tied on my fav small stream trout dry,cdc and elk caddis,size 20.covered a rise and landed my first wild fish of the season.(wish i could say the same for the salmon fishing).2 more casts and another ,both fish where very small but lovely marked,and very welcome after a slow march :rolleyes:.working my way to the top of the pool i saw a much better fish rise.
    then a big splash,followed by another as 2 dogs jump into the river following a tennis ball thrown by there owner.
    fair enough i was hard to spot crouched in the water behind a fallen tree, i reeled in and headed off as the pool was spooked by now and it was dinner time neway!! .
    waking back to the car a jack russel came swimming up to the bank,got out and went running to another dog walker to give it back the stick she had thrown .
    now i love to see people and their dogs out walking by the river,its a beautiful place and its for everyone,,,BUT,
    while fishing seasons in have a little consideration that their may be people fishing .
    thats my rant over :D.
    ps,ive nothing against dogs ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

cj salmon wrote: »
    on my way home from work and i had my stream rod in the car as i always nearly do.and i decided with it being a cracking evening id head down to my local small stream,the dargle, to see if any brown trout were on the move.i wasted no time and started with a pheasent tail nymph working my way up to my fav pool.plenty of fish active with the warm weather .had a few plucks at the nypmh.some flys where hatching but only a couple of rises.tied on my fav small stream trout dry,cdc and elk caddis,size 20.covered a rise and landed my first wild fish of the season.(wish i could say the same for the salmon fishing).2 more casts and another ,both fish where very small but lovely marked,and very welcome after a slow march :rolleyes:.working my way to the top of the pool i saw a much better fish rise.
    then a big splash,followed by another as 2 dogs jump into the river following a tennis ball thrown by there owner.
    fair enough i was hard to spot crouched in the water behind a fallen tree, i reeled in and headed off as the pool was spooked by now and it was dinner time neway!! .
    waking back to the car a jack russel came swimming up to the bank,got out and went running to another dog walker to give it back the stick she had thrown .
    now i love to see people and their dogs out walking by the river,its a beautiful place and its for everyone,,,BUT,
    while fishing seasons in have a little consideration that their may be people fishing .
    thats my rant over :D.
    ps,ive nothing against dogs ;)

People with dogs in general have good consideration for anglers while fishing. But as always its the few who dont give a hoot. I,ve had a few bad experiences on the dodder with dog owners and there dogs. First thing i always point out to them, there dogs or dog is not on a lead and it has no muzzle on them. Then i point out to them about there dog crapping every where. If they were on a path beside a road they scoop it up, but along a river it seems they dont give a damn.

That usuall makes them call there dog and they disappear.

Others blatantly throw sticks and balls feet from you, into the water where you are fishing. This enrages me!!

It sets me off on one and they get a peice of my mind.

I have no time for that bull.

I,d like to see dog wardens patrolling river paths and parks fining unruly dog owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

totally agree,it is only the minorty of dog owners that dont seem to care.
    in fairness it has happened a few times now.usually on small streams that are not that heavilly fished but people should know, if theirs a river ,their could be anglers ..., im surprised that it would happen on the dodder .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I do a bit of beach fishing, and I've had people throwing sticks and balls into the water right in front of me for their dog to swim after - even though the rest of the beach is empty! I usually approach them with a spare trace and point out the 3 sharp hooks on it, and remind them that there's one of these in the water right where the dog is swimming/paddling.
    I've also had dogs stealing my bait (mackerel) when I've turned my back, again a reminder to the owner that there are traces lying around and next time the dog may get more than a sliver of mackerel in his gob does the trick. If that fails, I hint about the diarrhoea a lot of dogs get from eating fish... :D

Advertisement