Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is UPC Throttled?

• 07-04-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just changed over to UPC 15meg connection. Don't really have a problem with the speed of browsing but I was downloading from Steam tonight COD: MW2 for preload, max download speed it 1.2meg per second.

Now that's quick enough for me but why is it not 14meg per second? Is there throttling going on maybe?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Bodhan wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just changed over to UPC 15meg connection. Don't really have a problem with the speed of browsing but I was downloading from Steam tonight COD: MW2 for preload, max download speed it 1.2meg per second.

Now that's quick enough for me but why is it not 14meg per second? Is there throttling going on maybe?

Steam displays in bytes when downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Spear wrote: »
    Steam displays in bytes when downloading.

So what speed is 1021KB/s in old money then? And right now it says 1.1MB/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Bodhan wrote: »

1.1 MBps is approx 8.8Mbps

multiply by 8 to get bytes to bits....(8 bits in a byte)

neacy69 wrote: »
    1.1 MBps is approx 8.8Mbps

multiply by 8 to get bytes to bits....(8 bits in a byte)

Ahhhh, cheers man. Couldn't ask for better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

An even looser rule of thumb is to multiply it by 10 to allow for TCP overheads. So 1.1MB/s ('B'ytes, not 'b'its) is using close to 11Mb (megabits) of your 15Mb connection. I.e. not bad at all, given that it's probably contended, and given that Steam isn't the quickest at the best of times.

Advertisement