Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distributor Road bottle bank

Options
  • 08-04-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Passed this earlier and I have never seen anything like the state of it, broken glass all over the place and LOTS of cardboard boxes thrown all around up as far as the roundabout. Time we caught whoever is doing this. Before we know it, they'll take away this facility from the area. What kind of mentality has the person who goes to the trouble of bringing bottles there and then littering the place up!!?? BRING HOME YOUR RUBBISH!!!!This was spotless yesterday morning so fair play to whoever cleaned it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Couldn't agree more. We should keep an eye out and report these people for their selfish and irresponsible behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's the fault of the first and second person to dump rubbish there, the rest just follow like sheep "sure, everyone else is doing it...baah baah"
    Then all you need is a pack of bored/drunk kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

The city council bin men clear this up regularly, I have spoken to them when they were clearing it and they're only supposed to empty the glass but they take all the rubbish away. It looks terrible again I see, a CCTV camera is needed there for the idiots dumping

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

i pass it every morning between 5-6am and it always looks full, and outside the yellow bin ive seen everything from cd racks to tables and chairs.

Its a society thing in ireland, we want our home clean and dont care less where it is once weve disposed of it. I think leaving some of the stuff i see there is just a conscience exercise that they have donated to a charity when its only a dumping exercise for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That place definitely needs CCTV!
    It also seems to me that publicans use it to dispose of empty bottles, who else would have boxes and boxes of Millers to dispose of almost every single day? The place is a disgrace and I hate to use it, but it's the nearest bottle bank :mad:

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

That place definitely needs CCTV!
    It also seems to me that publicans use it to dispose of empty bottles, who else would have boxes and boxes of Millers to dispose of almost every single day? The place is a disgrace and I hate to use it, but it's the nearest bottle bank :mad:

CC

thats merely an assumption you make there. Miller can be bought by the box in any number of the stores nearby. Besides publicans have glass collection onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Of course it's an assumption. "It seems" implies that!

But I drive past there every day, and every day there are at least 4-5 boxes of Millers...

Maybe there is a serious alcoholic living around the corner - this is also just a speculation :rolleyes:

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was heading into town Wednesday night around 10-30pm, I was stopped at the traffic lights coming from the Monroe pub side opposite the Fire Station and there was a guy at the bottle bank there dressed in a chefs white outfit and unloading loads of bottles from a container into the bottle bank, I can only assume that he came from the restaurant opposite the bottle bank. As far as I am aware this is totally illegal as they must dispose of their bottles commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Passed the bottle bank on the Western Distributor yesterday and it was an absolute disgrace. Worst I've ever seen it! Have people no pride in the town/country they live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

KevR wrote: »
    Passed the bottle bank on the Western Distributor yesterday and it was an absolute disgrace. Worst I've ever seen it! Have people no pride in the town/country they live in?

I agree; it's a mess. I think I saw a pram dumped there yesterday when I drove past. Surely the city council have protocols in place to deal with illegal dumping or is that very naive of me to assume that?

• Advertisement

I agree; it's a mess. I think I saw a pram dumped there yesterday when I drove past. Surely the city council have protocols in place to deal with illegal dumping or is that very naive of me to assume that?

You did see a pram there!

I think the City Council should install CCTV cameras at the Distributor bottle bank. It won't fully solve the problem but it will certainly act as a deterrent for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

I unfortunately think the whole thing should be removed from where it is. In all respects I believe the onus is on the person bringing the bottles to the bank to remove their own rubbish! but as it is now clear that people are incapable of doing this.

Anyway I am of the belief that everyone should be paid for their bottles/cans etc... this is done in America and on bringing your bottles to a bottle bank you find that the amount would add up and you would come home with a tidy amount of money.

Can anyone tell me what actually happens our bottles I know they are supposed to be recycled but is this recycled in this country or is it sold on to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Couldn't agree more. We should keep an eye out and report these people for their selfish and irresponsible behaviour.

I second that! I was there getting rid of my glass around 12.30pm yesterday and it was an absolute mess. Am lucky I did not puncture the car as there was so much broken glass...did manage to step in some sort of gooey substance too (jam I am hoping) but I noticed before getting back into the car. I was so angry driving away though....I mean how difficult is it to take your boxes away?!!! And they weren't even emptied of the glass...just thrown there at the side full of bottles and the bins were not even full .... these people are bloody brainless gob****es.

I see it all the time in the estate I live in though...we have communal recycling bins (none for glass though) and people just seem to ignore (or more likely are too lazy and ignorant to bother) putting the correct waste/material into the bin it's meant to go in. Nearly every time I dump my waste I see tons of paper and cardboard (and even glass bottles) in the waste instead of recycling them.....:mad: It's more than a little demoralising too.

kellsum wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what actually happens our bottles I know they are supposed to be recycled but is this recycled in this country or is it sold on to another?

I am definitely open to correction but, as far as I know, most recycleable waste produced in Ireland gets sent abroad to be recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

kellsum wrote: »
    I unfortunately think the whole thing should be removed from where it is. In all respects I believe the onus is on the person bringing the bottles to the bank to remove their own rubbish! but as it is now clear that people are incapable of doing this.

Anyway I am of the belief that everyone should be paid for their bottles/cans etc... this is done in America and on bringing your bottles to a bottle bank you find that the amount would add up and you would come home with a tidy amount of money.

yes! A deposit system, like they also use in Germany, for glass and plastic bottles and cans. It would make so much sense, reduce the rubbish, would probably reduce the amount of shattered glass (cause if you pay 30 cent deposit, you probably won't drop the bottle), might create jobs if we could set up a bottle recycling plant, help the less well off (seriously, the amount of people you see in germany scouringg bins, trains etc for those bottles is amazing), and generally clean the place up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Just drove by the bottle bank. Looks like they've erected a solar-powered camera on a pole. Hopefully this will sort out all the dumping here.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

No such luck, lots of boxes there tonight again!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I've heard that all our glass gets sent to china but not sure if this is true.

One thing I've never understood though is why the council provide glass recycling bins but don't put in a paper and plastic bin beside them. People bring their glass there and unload them from ripped damp soggy boxes and bags which they're not gonna carry home. Simple solution. Put a ****ing paper and plastic bin with the glass bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

dafunk wrote: »
    I've heard that all our glass gets sent to china but not sure if this is true.

One thing I've never understood though is why the council provide glass recycling bins but don't put in a paper and plastic bin beside them. People bring their glass there and unload them from ripped damp soggy boxes and bags which they're not gonna carry home. Simple solution. Put a ****ing paper and plastic bin with the glass bins.

Because they have two big bins at home for paper and plastic, why don't they use that?. If you put in more bins for paper and plastic people will use them when their bins at home are full and cause a bigger mess.They should use a dry bag/box and bring it home after them, simple really.What the **** is wrong with people these days they want everything handed to them on a plate, zero common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Totally agree with you. People need to act responsibly and bring home their 'soggy boxes' and dispose of them there. I use a plastic box for my bottles, glass jars etc which you can buy in Dunnes, B&Q etc for a couple of euro and it only needs a quick rinse when I get home! Its time people copped on to this recycling lark and do it properly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I am not for a second justifying the dumping of rubbish. I don't understand the mentality of people dumpng plastic bags and boxes around the bottle bank but I would consider that having a paper or plastic bin there might be a solution.

It would be good if the glass got collected the same as the paper and plastic does. That would eliminate the need for bottlebanks, forcing restaurants and bars to dispose of them the way they're suppposed to as well. When I lived in Knocknacarra my glass got collected by Barna waste I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Simple solution. Put a ****ing paper and plastic bin with the glass bins.

You do realize that such a bin will be filled within a day, with everyone dumping into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Simple solution. Put a ****ing paper and plastic bin with the glass bins.

Even simpler: have the door-to-door recycling collection accept glass, get rid of the bins totally.

(Places overseas can do it safely, no reason why Ireland can't.)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Can anyone please tell me how there is always boxes and boxes of miller please has anyone any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

eagle10 wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me how there is always boxes and boxes of miller please has anyone any insight?

I'm not an expert, but I'd say that indicates a lot of people are drinking Miller ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but I'd say that indicates a lot of people are drinking Miller ;)

It just doesn't add up always boxes and boxes of 24pk millers been dumped at night time I add I have been observing the situation for some time now and miller could not outweigh alll other beer/lager off licence sales that much???????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Miller is probably the cheapest crate of beer there is (probably the worst too). I've already been given the finger by 2 different people I've honked at when I've seen em leaving their rubbish behind. I'd love to see the council name and shame these a**holes. A bit of community service picking up rubbish would be a good idea too for those caught littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well it was in the papers that they do have the CCTV there now.
    It's already doing it's job, 6 caught last tuesday alone
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/25730

A couple of fines may change peoples behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Id like to see pictures and names in the paper of people they caught,would be nice to shame the skangers who think its accecptable to litter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

kinetic wrote: »
    Id like to see pictures and names in the paper of people they caught,would be nice to shame the skangers who think its accecptable to litter.

Well the two that gave me the finger (separate occasions) weren't exactly what you would call skangers -in its usual context although by their actions they could be included in this I guess. They weren't foreign either.

Advertisement