Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1911 census

Options
  • 08-04-2010 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi there.

I have been looking through the census online trying to find some family history.
    When i look up the area i am looking into and find the family name i want if there is more than one family with that name i cant tell which family is the one i am after.

If i knew witch house they lived in it would be a real big help .
    Each house in the census seems to have a number is there a relevant map that shows the houses according to that number or how could i find which house a particular family lived in.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Looking at the forms on the website I can't see any map references. There is the "Enumerator's abstract" and "Form B" which lists houses.

It's possible that by looking at Form B you could distinguish the houses by numbers of rooms although most houses had similar numbers of rooms and many of them may have been demolished or renovated by now.

There is also a Genealogy subforum in this one where more expert people may be able to help you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another way of narrowing down families is to check the ones who use names that are 'family' names, if any - you know, a Patrick, a Fred, a Sarah, that sort of thing. Irish families often use the same first names in different generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

pejay wrote: »
    Hi there.

I have been looking through the census online trying to find some family history.
    When i look up the area i am looking into and find the family name i want if there is more than one family with that name i cant tell which family is the one i am after.

If i knew witch house they lived in it would be a real big help .
    Each house in the census seems to have a number is there a relevant map that shows the houses according to that number or how could i find which house a particular family lived in.

Many Thanks.

There are editions of the 1895 25" windmaps with numbered plots, but I assumed they were linked to valuation records - these might be more useful if you want to identify plots, and go back a bit more?

Advertisement