Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Creative Writing - Am I thick?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello there friendly cloud of UCDers!

I'm in UCC at the moment in final year of Major English and minor psych. I'm really interested in writing and having looked into TCD's Creative Writing MA I decided it simply wasn't on a par with UCD's. And it's a lotta cheddar.

Has anyone gone through this MA?
    Does anyone know anyone who already has?
    Am I absolutely stone stupid for considering an Arts masters?

Advice anyone?
    Has anyone done an arts MA and died a little wishing they had done something else?

I'm quite unsure of what to do, UCC doesn't allow any creativity whatsoever so I'm nervous about my possibly shabby excuse for a portfolio.

I would appreciate any help at all, thank you in advance.

I'm going to click this smiley now. :pac: o o o o o o o o geddit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I did Creative Writing as an elective and have to say it was one of my most enjoyable experiences in college. I wish I had the chance to do more of it. I felt I learnt a lot from it in terms of being able to develop characters better, find a 'voice' in a writing sense, learn how to write good dialogue etc.

I had tried writing short stories and working on novels in the past but gave up and felt it wasn't really coming together. Doing that subject for the 12 weeks made me realise the mistakes I had been making and will leave you wanting to actually write more.

I wouldn't say doing an MA is a waste but you will find there are a lot less hours involved than at BA level so if you're fine with that for a year then go for it.

I'd advise sending around a few emails to UCD and they should send you out some literature and that might help you make your mind up.

Good luck. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shoesa

Thank you very much indeed, I will get onto them today. :)
    That's exactly what I am hoping to gain from the course too, and less hours just means more opportunity to work, be it tesco or tutoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

James Ryan the co-ordiantor is one of the nicest fellas in UCD you will meet and a great lecturer in the subject.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    James Ryan the co-ordiantor is one of the nicest fellas in UCD you will meet and a great lecturer in the subject.

It's really nice to hear some encouraging feedback about this course, thanks for letting me know. Would it be cheeky to email him directly and ask what sort of standards they expect etc?

No I doubt it would hes very helpful. A big part of your decision to do the course should be do you want to write after it full time? I'll PM you his email.

• Advertisement

Yes hugely, I would be in my element to write fulltime. I write mostly odd prosaic short stories, I write to convey an overall feeling within a small story. I also write children's stories and I'm in the middle of writing a children's book; I'll be using a watered down version for my portfolio. I have a lot I want to commit to paper but I need guidance to express it, which is what I hope to garner from this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

From the people I've spoken to, they said it's near-impossible to access this course without being published or 50+ years old.

Seems to me that UCD want their students to have done the work for them.

Oh no :(. I really hope this isn't the case. This is all I've wanted to do since I was a child. I only found out about the course recently enough so I didn't start working on a 'portfolio' until a month or so ago. I'm always writing something - I really really hope this isn't the case because I've really set my heart on this. I have no idea what else I would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Shoesa wrote: »
    Oh no :(. I really hope this isn't the case. This is all I've wanted to do since I was a child. I only found out about the course recently enough so I didn't start working on a 'portfolio' until a month or so ago. I'm always writing something - I really really hope this isn't the case because I've really set my heart on this. I have no idea what else I would do.

Well *if* you don't get in this year, there is always next year so your dream doesn't have to end. I know a girl in my English class who is in her 20s who was accepted into the course, so it is not impossible. I was only an acquaintance though so I don't know what her portfolio was like. But I wouldn't give up hope yet.

But even if you don't get in this year, you can spend the next year building a portfolio. Write as much as you can, as often as you can. Send them into magazines, newspapers etc. Google freelance writing and find what magazines accept submissions from freelancers. I have thought about applying for that MA in the past, but I have kept it for my future self. But in the mean time I am working away at building a nice portfolio, for whenever I decide to apply.

Edit: Plus if you have not already, get in contact with the English department. You could arrange a meeting and find out about your chances of getting in. That way you would know where you stand. And tell us too...so I know what exactly I have to do!

I won't be able to attend an interview in Dubland all the same cos I'm rather stuck in Cork studying for final exams. I'll do what I can today in terms of finding out what is required. Building up a portfolio is fine, it' simply the problem of wanting an MA also at the end of the day. If I don't do this now, I'll have to do something else, which will push back when I can apply for the MA to far beyond in the future. I'll do my best and I'll let you know here.

• Advertisement

I saw a photo of graduates from this course who looked in their young 20s so it is not just for 50 plus students.

I saw that too a while back, I was thinking of that actually. God I hope it will be ok. I know I could be good if I was just given some guidance. But I'm sure everyone feels that way. Perhaps it was just a slick move on the photographers part, grabbing the young pretty wans for advertisement? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I know a lad doing this course this year, hes in his mid-20s.

And to answer the thread title, no, your not thick. If ya wanna do it, do it. Shun the non-believers!

Shuuuuuuun! :D Thank you!

Dear Cloud,

I made contact with James Ryan and he informed me that they receive approximately 70 applications each year, with space for only 14 students.

My chances are slim, but I have done my best with my portfolio and I am going to try anyway.

On that topic -

Does anyone know how a portfolio of writing should be presented and structured? I was just going to have it soft-bound. I've googled it but I can't find any conclusive answer.

Dear Cloud,

I made contact with James Ryan and he informed me that they receive approximately 70 applications each year, with space for only 14 students.

:eek:
    Did not think numbers would be that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

My chances are slim

Increase you chances by entering the 1,000 word short story competition on the arts-creative writing forum here on boards. Closing in a few days. Win it and 'twill look brill on your CV

Advertisement