Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low Water Pressure Hot/Cold Throughout House

• 08-04-2010 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,
    New to the board so excuse any beginner's mistakes.
    My problem is that since moving into our house 3 1/2 years ago we've had really dismal water pressure at all the taps, (except mains kitchen cold tap) toilet fills, everything. The house is approx 9 years old. None of our neighbours have this problem. Attic tank appears massive and is filling properly. Power showers fitted but for an experiment I unplugged shower pump and still possible to have a shower in terms of pressure with it off. It seems to have a separate feed from attic tank. Two plumbers have been out and said I need to pressurise the whole system :confused: They blame the narrow piping used to connect the taps (flexible mesh tubing). However that doesn't explain the toilet refill pressure being low too?
    Also why is ours the only house affected? Prices quoted 8-1100 EUR. If I go down that path are they reasonable numbers?

Also the fill valves fitted to the toilets I'm told are just about the worst you can get with a tiny little float arm, some kind of pressure diaphragm and a plastic bag type of tube (presumably to quieten refill noise). They frequently don't cut off and water leaks into bowl from 'overflow mechanism'. However it's not exactly gushing in for the reason above;) Can anyone give me an idea what the charge for replacing them with a proper valve should be?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

I'd be surprised if it's pipe sizing problem, especially if your neighbours have no problems. might be crap in the pipework, like plastic debris from the storage cistern. what style house is it? bungalow? 2 storey? has it been a problem from the start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

It sounds like debris al right. Those valves on the toilets are very good valves and easily dismantled for maintenance, and the connections to the taps are ok they are 1/2" diameter normally turn the water off to the toilets and lift the cistern lid. on the float valve there should be a large blue nut or other colour but definitely a large nut. open this to take apart the valve. you should then be able to determine if there is debris in the pipe or not.

Also shine a torch into the tank and see if there is a build up of silt around the connections.

Advertisement