Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Maning Concerns! HELP

Options
  • 08-04-2010 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a big issue I'm having at work.

The problem is that while my job title is "cashier", I've been expected to perform the duties of a deputy manager quite often and even though I don't mind helping out when needed the situation is constantly getting worse.

For example, a fortnight ago when my manager went sick I was left calling around my superiors to try and get cover, and then I was told that no one could be sent to cover and I'd have to do it on my own (despite 3 staff working in QUIETER shops), this meant I had to do all the managers duties and sit behind the counter (which is locked, with no access), for a 9hr shift and then lock up etc. This lasted for two days.

Also tomorrow, I'll be working a 12hr shift as the acting manager, (9.30 - 9.30). I will have one cashier with me till 6.30 then I'm on my own for three hours and will have to tidy the shop and balance the tills and lock up on my own at the end of the shift.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me the employee rights with regards to being left to run a shop single handed etc as there must be some health and safety issues considering we're locked in behind the counter. When I originally accepted the job I was assured there would never be any less than two staff at all times yet our company is using the veil of an economic downturn to make cuts when our shop is busier than it has ever been!!!

Sorry for the long post guys...hope you can help ;)

Advertisement