Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Law

• 08-04-2010 3:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi sorry if this is the wrong place but out of curiosity do anybody know the law surrounding pirate radio stations in Ireland eg. Fines, Jail? All help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't know why people go to the bother of risking fines and having their expensive radio equipment confiscated these days when broadcasting on the internet is so much easier and cheaper. Lots of people listen to internet radio streams on their phones when they're out and about, it's a growing audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

eth0_ wrote: »
    I don't know why people go to the bother of risking fines and having their expensive radio equipment confiscated these days when broadcasting on the internet is so much easier and cheaper. Lots of people listen to internet radio streams on their phones when they're out and about, it's a growing audience.

Indeed, there are even those who say that Internet broadcasting is killing off the pirates.

Here's some recommended viewing : http://www.palladiumboots.com/exploration/london-pirate-radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

i would go far as to say that social networking killed off the pirates. A lot of pirate DJ's in the past were as motivated by "showing off to their mates" as by bringing new music to the masses. Why broadcast on FM when you can have ab audience of friends on Bebo/Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You can download Broadwave Server and set up a streaming link. It would be madness going pirate radio. Even for Community Radio, it costs so much to run a set up and broadcast and so much law surrounding it, its madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the area of internet broadcasting is even more murkier. I have been told by IMRO that as a registered IMRO member, I could not play my own music on my own web radio show without paying IMRO a license fee. Thats F8cked up. Plus its harder to hide online. Its way easier for PPI and the various other bodies to track you down online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You have to pay IMRO fees to play your own music! That's sounds stupid, I'm sure the PPI would jump on that band wagon too!

i think its mainly because they havent really worked out how to deal with the internet yet.

Sounds odd! I'm sure they'll grab all the money they can from the internet before they do!

• Advertisement

well thats what they told me less than 6 months ago. they were trying to encourage me to buy a license (admittedly I had contacted them first on the same idea) and I ended up just having to take anything musical - bar shows from the UK (I dont know what the story is on that) - off our little web radio station. Not until I can afford to pay the relevant people, which works out around a grand a year. Ergo, i dont think I will ever be able to afford to play much music.

How much is the license anyway!

ppi is around 550 plus the imro one is abou 150 or something - neither including the vat

That's madness. I know for a fact they charge shops, businesses, pubs and nightclubs to play music aswell. They also want to charge Bus operators and DJ who gig in pubs and nice clubs soon enough!

i might get the imro one then at least I could do shows featuring unsigned bands. still, I wish they'd do up some form of licencing just for web stations ... preferably a cheap one.

There's no easy way around it. If I wanted to become a DJ and they bring in the fees, it wouldnt be worth my while pursuing a career in it.

the fees are yearly so the way I look at it, 150+ vat a year would be worth it if my web station was pumping out a decent amount of unsigned music shows.

A €150 per year isn't too bad though!

well, except thats its 150 quid plus vat less in my pocket. theres no money to be made from spending it.

I know what you mean!

• Advertisement
Advertisement